Weapon Degradation

+

Weapon Degradation

• Total voters
I think it might provide for some interesting choices in game play. Do you keep a backup weapon? Or maybe have an "everyday" sword that you use on wolves and drowners and then save your best weapon for dealing with bosses? If it needs to be sharpened too often it could get tedious, but if it happens every once in a while it could be interesting.Or perhaps some fighting techniques dull your blade quickly while others don't - perhaps another consideration when evaluating whether to dodge or parry.

I wonder if players might find it more palatable if you had a bonus for "super sharp" swords rather than a penalty for dull ones....

Hopefully there will be an explanation on how the durability is decreased.
For a weapon does it depend on some specific weapon traits, is it affected by the type of enemy skin that you cut, fleshy one vs hard skin/rocks/scales, how blocking/parrying your blows affects that, is it affected by how it is blocked, by shield, weapon or monster skin (just like before, skin, scales, rocky etc.).

The same goes for the armor, is it affected by the type of enemy weapon, sword, claw, magic etc. and the force of the attack (light, heavy).

There are a lots of variables to take into account, so if we can understand the extent to which they affect the durability decrease, we can go for certain play style/tactics when the weapon degrades, but we can't repair it right away or just to preserve the weapon quality.

Good durability is the same thing as "no" basically, which is what I voted for. I'm fairly certain geralt knows how to use a sharpening stone on his own sword, so I don't see what the purpose of a durability mechanic serves other than to be an annoyance.

Good durability is the same thing as "no" basically, which is what I voted for. I'm fairly certain geralt knows how to use a sharpening stone on his own sword, so I don't see what the purpose of a durability mechanic serves other than to be an annoyance.

Because stuff breaks when you cut stuff or when you get pounded and it adds another level to the game systems and the immersion.
It's also a nice nudge from the game if you get too side tracked hiking to go to some city/village to repair stuff and maybe pick up some quests. ;)

Besides, I don't think stuff will break that often, but of course that depends on how the degradation is implemented, what affects it and to what degree. The inner workings of the system will probably remain hidden, but through experimentation we should be able to get a better understanding of it.

Weapons seem to degrade far too quickly. It just feels like a money sink, throwing crowns at a blacksmith or buying repair kits to keep my weapons honed during my lengthy exploratory runs.

that is from a review

i welcome Weapon Degradation as much as a welcome a kick to the Groin but this quote makes it sound like 3 kicks to the Groin which i welcome even less

Weapons seem to degrade far too quickly. It just feels like a money sink, throwing crowns at a blacksmith or buying repair kits to keep my weapons honed during my lengthy exploratory runs.

that is from a review

i welcome Weapon Degradation as much as a welcome a kick to the Groin but this quote makes it sound like 3 kicks to the Groin which i welcome even less

There's no context provided to what too quickly means. Is it an hour? Maybe 3-4 hours or maybe 10?

This is highly subjective and because I have not seen such complaints from the reviews that I went through, I think it's just the matter of the personal preference of that reviewer.
So nothing to worry about.

There's no context provided to what too quickly means. Is it an hour? Maybe 3-4 hours or maybe 10?

This is highly subjective and because I have not seen such complaints from the reviews that I went through, I think it's just the matter of the personal preference of that reviewer.
So nothing to worry about.
that is very true i have not seen one complaint about it, for me i just find any form of Weapon degradation a pain, a chore but hopefully its not too bad, i really hate weapon degradation but considering the rest of the game is meant to be perfect i can cope(in Dark Souls 2 it is done pretty well due to weapons healing when you rest at a bonfire)

i'll make several swords of the same design.........say i made 4 of the same good silver sword and keep them in my horses saddle bag,then i could swap when its begining to do less damage....then when i hit a town,repair the used ones

Top Bottom