Weapon design inspiration

+
What real world examples do you all think the artists at CDPR used to create the few weapons that we've seen so far?

V's 9mm pistol looks like a Glock 17 G4 with a compensator on it.
The tech shotgun kind of looks like a sawn-off Savage Arms side-by-side shotgun.
Kang Tao's Variant 1 (I think that's what it was called) looked like a cross between the HK MP7A1, FN P90, and the Vector
The corporate tech rifle looks like another cross between several rifles. The ones that I see are the G36 and the FAMAS

What do you guys think the weapons we saw in the demo were based on?

Last edited:
What real world examples do you all think the artists at CDPR used to create the few weapons that we've seen so far?

V's 9mm pistol looks like a Glock 17 G4 with a compensator on it.
The tech shotgun kind of looks like a sawn-off Savage Arms side-by-side shotgun.
Kang Tao's Variant 1 (I think that's what it was called) looked like a cross between the HK MP7A1 and the FN P90
The corporate tech rifle looks like another cross between several rifles. The ones that I see are the G36 and the FAMAS

What do you guys think the weapons we saw in the demo were based on?

CDPR has a weapon wall at Warsaw HQ. It's right outside the main Cpunk development area for artists. Pretty cool.

Sild

Ex-moderator
Will there be pulse and energy based weapons, railguns?

Railguns, pretty sure they'll be in. Pulse and energy based.. If your thinking of Unreal Tournament type pulse and energy based.. I doubt it, wouldn't be really cyberpunk with those.

I hope that the guns we see in demo, mainly smart gun, tech rifle and shot gun are just the tip of an iceberg, because they suck. The worst weapon designs in the game dev history ( in "realitic(ish)" games, of course, not Serious Sam, or such). They break all principles of gun design. Side arms are very good though. There are some pieces in the background that also give hope. But thet's my private opinion, as I prefer nowadays striipped off designs to over the top sci fi designs. LVOA AR clones are both more realistic (they are real and every ounce of their cool look is dictated by modern warfare demands) and sci fiish than most sci fi designs. Vector SMGs are cool inspiration for the smart gun, but the design team took the look and ignored the phisics and application behind it and conceived, basically, a micro missile launcher... really sad design. That is not how smart gun is supposed to work, devs, wake up, hire people who know what they are doing :)

I hope that the guns we see in demo, mainly smart gun, tech rifle and shot gun are just the tip of an iceberg, because they suck. The worst weapon designs in the game dev history ( in "realitic(ish)" games, of course, not Serious Sam, or such). They break all principles of gun design. Side arms are very good though. There are some pieces in the background that also give hope. But thet's my private opinion, as I prefer nowadays striipped off designs to over the top sci fi designs. LVOA AR clones are both more realistic (they are real and every ounce of their cool look is dictated by modern warfare demands) and sci fiish than most sci fi designs. Vector SMGs are cool inspiration for the smart gun, but the design team took the look and ignored the phisics and application behind it and conceived, basically, a micro missile launcher... really sad design. That is not how smart gun is supposed to work, devs, wake up, hire people who know what they are doing :)
I agree, at first glance that smart gun and the corpo rifle looks really cool but then you realize that some parts have no use/purpose and are just there to look futuristic.
I believe guns (and weapons in general) are very important for story-telling purposes and atmosphere, they tell a lot about the people that made it and its user, but for that they have to look believable, for example, assault rifles were developed to fill the gap between a full lenght rifle and SMGs...what's the purpose of the smart gun?, how does it make bullets curve mid-air?. I don't want to say the guns in the trailer suck but they need some work and I'll would start by getting rid off the glowing bullets and base the design AND functionality on guns we have today.

I would like to see more different types of ammo. It is in the future. What I mean by that is actual radical ammo types like molten projectiles or even plasma. There is another game that i played when I was a kid called Battlelords of the 23rd century and they had some pretty inventive designs. They had thud guns that were short range but they used an intense plasma pulse that worked like an air cannon but WAAAY more powerful. So powerful it could tear through things besides just knocking them around or back really far. They also had gravity guns which were large clunky weapons that used a large amount of energy to disrupt the local gravity field. The top half of the gun fired in one direction and the bottom half fired in the opposite. It would cause a planar shear and literally shred anything along its path. Like a giant invisible monster ripping something in half. They also had frost guns that would fire a chemical mixture that could freeze you solid in a matter of seconds. The final one I remember had these guns that had a chamber that you could put scrap metal into and it would spin it really fast like a centerfuge. It would get it really hot and liquify it to a molten state then shoot it out like a rail gun. I would love to see alternate stuff like that instead of just bullets all the time.

Top Bottom