Weapons in the Witcher 3

+
I do believe I read somewhere that witchers think bows and such projectile weapons are for cowards but who knows

---------- Updated at 02:19 AM ----------

Yes but it would still be nice to have variety

I do believe I read somewhere that witchers think bows and such projectile weapons are for cowards but who knows

i have a question: why does Geralt use a crossbow? do witchers use crossbows?

that was the books. i think, for practicality purposes and more interesting gameplay, they've added in the crossbow (gabriel crossbow is also a reference to the books) to the game. So yeah, you could say it isn't canon and choose not to use it, but within the game-world you could argue it makes complete sense for a witcher to have one given that large flying monsters exist.

and let's be honest if you were actually a monster slayer, you'd probably want a crossbow for those griffons, regardless of Sapowski's characterisation of Geralt.

I agree it does make for more interesting gameplay

---------- Updated at 10:33 AM ----------

The latest gameplay trailer shows geralt picking up a a small club and equipping it in his inventory, I also read an interview with one of the devs where he mentioned that geralt could use axes and other weapons

Are there other weapon classes other than 2h swords?

i read that damien said there are many weapons in the game, but i dont know if for him 100 types of two handed steel swords is considered a lot of weapons, because to me all these weapons are just one type of weapon because they only differ in their shape and damage.

however ive seen players pick up two handed axes and 1 handed swords yet NOT ONE tried using these weapons.
so do you know if you can equip and actually fight with 1 handed shorter swords and 2 handed top-heavy weapons like battle axes or battlehammers?
and will these have different animations than the regular 2h swords he always carry on this back?

my guess is "NO" because otherwise im sure i would have seen a single frame or geralt holding a different weapon from SOME gameplay, but then again there is this single shot that might mean it's a "YES":
https://youtu.be/-NxWHYO87MM?t=150
see geralt's 1h sword on his belt?

what do you know?

Yes, you will be able to equip other weapon types. If its like the previous games they may have some niche use. I wouldnt expect to use them primarily.

i read that damien said there are many weapons in the game, but i dont know if for him 100 types of two handed steel swords is considered a lot of weapons, because to me all these weapons are just one type of weapon because they only differ in their shape and damage.

however ive seen players pick up two handed axes and 1 handed swords yet NOT ONE tried using these weapons.
so do you know if you can equip and actually fight with 1 handed shorter swords and 2 handed top-heavy weapons like battle axes or battlehammers?
and will these have different animations than the regular 2h swords he always carry on this back?

my guess is "NO" because otherwise im sure i would have seen a single frame or geralt holding a different weapon from SOME gameplay, but then again there is this single shot that might mean it's a "YES":

what do you know?

you can use any weapon you pick up, but they are usually not as good as your standard witcher/witcher-like swords.
and I'm sure an axe has different animations than a sword.

what do you know?

We've seen him equipped with a blackjack.

Also his swords are not two handed swords. These unused types are much longer and heavier weapons which can really only be used with two hands.

The typical swords used are long-swords. A light weight single handed weapon, balanced for speed and for thrusting or cutting. The hilt is long enough to use with a second hand but this isn't necessary, although half swording is also used frequently with the second hand on the blade to guide the tip against weak points in harness.

you can use any weapon you pick up, but they are usually not as good as your standard witcher/witcher-like swords.
and I'm sure an axe has different animations than a sword.
dont be so sure, mate. both AC:U and skyrim share animations for weapons that dont share uses. AC:U, which is a huge game with amazing animations, have shared animations for 2H swords and 2H axes and these two weapons do NOT move the same IRL. 2h swords in ACU have bad animations since they appear as if they weight 5 kilos.
same with skyrim who use the same animations for 1h swords and 1h axes and maces.

We've seen him equipped with a blackjack.

Also his swords are not two handed swords. These unused types are much longer and heavier weapons which can really only be used with two hands.

The typical swords used are long-swords. A light weight single handed weapon, balanced for speed and for thrusting or cutting. The hilt is long enough to use with a second hand but this isn't necessary, although half swording is also used frequently with the second hand on the blade to guide the tip against weak points in harness.

when i say "2h swords" i mean swords that have a long hilt for two hands, like the ones geralt is using. (like the ones from Shadow of mordor, even if in SOM talion uses them with 1 hand, which to me looks weirder than how geralt is using them).
when i say 1h swords i mean swords that are usually a tad shorter with a short hilt (like the 1H swords from skyrim or AC:U).

what is said blackjack? are you taling about the link that i provided or something else?

can anyone provide a link for geralt using a different weapon class?

i really hope that other weapon types will have a place. even if just against human enemies. it would be a waste of weapon classes if these weapons are useless in comparison to the 2h weapons geralt is carrying on his back.

Last edited:
talion and geralt both use bastard sword types ( which can be 1h/2h) .As far as i can remember W2 involved geralt holding weapons in 2 hands ( animations were different i guess). if you are asking for a 1h sword or dual wielding swords or sword/shield i think it will not be possible.( i might be wrong , but as far as the books go , geralt never uses a shield) .

PS - i played AC U , i felt that they had horrible animations and syncing.... SOM was good

Last edited:
that was the books. i think, for practicality purposes and more interesting gameplay, they've added in the crossbow (gabriel crossbow is also a reference to the books) to the game. So yeah, you could say it isn't canon and choose not to use it, but within the game-world you could argue it makes complete sense for a witcher to have one given that large flying monsters exist.

and let's be honest if you were actually a monster slayer, you'd probably want a crossbow for those griffons, regardless of Sapowski's characterisation of Geralt.

Geralt turned down Orions when offered them ~ the warning buzz was he thought likely to give sufficient warning to spoil an attack, and he was fast enough to fight against anyone with sword. (Though later that turned out not to be *quite* as true as he assumed).

Ciri mostly dodges one aimed at her, so his rejection of them may be semi-valid.

Crossbows are quite different to orions ~ there is a much shorter time between the firing and arrival of the quarrel... Still he has prejudice against them ~ and a tendency to declare his opinion as "all witchers", when that clearly won't be the case (as for example Coen being engaged with politics and war, but "witchers" remaining neutral).

Still he has prejudice against them ~ and a tendency to declare his opinion as "all witchers",

Not to mention that Vesemir, the oldest and arguably the most traditional of all the witchers we know of, hands Geralt the crossbow. "We breaking with tradition? A witcher with a crossbow?" "Stop talking, we have a griffon to kill." So I'd say this is a nod to keeping with Geralt's character and the fact they are breaking away from the books in this regard.

Top Bottom