Weather -An In-depth Look-

+
Good points, but...

ManwichTuesday;n7544700 said:
1. Traps don't give the cards they affect the chance to trigger their abilities. Some of them are 100% unavoidable

For a trapper, you can play a different row. For a fireball, you can soak up the damage. Other options are to play a gold card or to pass. Passing is surprisingly effective, because ambush decks usually don't have much strength. It's true you can't always avoid it, but neither can you with weather. I still think there are more ways to avoid traps, than there are ways to avoid weather.

2. Their affects cannot be cancelled as easily as weather. You can clear skies weather, you can dbomb weather, you can buff units after weather, some cards are immune to weather, etc. Nothing is immune to a trap.

But on the other hand, once the trap is sprung the threat has passed. With weather you still need to play a Clear Skies. And there is still the threat of Aard and Lacerate.

3. The very act of a player using weather often tells you how their deck is composed. You have a sense of how to approach play vs these players and what cards are most vital to hold onto.

With ambush you have to play pre-emptively. This is overall more difficult. If it works, it hits the opponent hard(er than weather), but if it fails, you'll take a pretty big blow. Higher risk, higher reward principle.

4. Weather affects both sides of the board. Traps are only helpful.

That's true, but I do want to mention one important difference. A last card weather can completely devastate the opponent. On the other hand, a last card trap is useless. Actually, using traps in the 3rd round can be risky, because of gold units.

4RM3D;n7546880 said:
That's true, but I do want to mention one important difference. A last card weather can completely devastate the opponent. On the other hand, a last card trap is useless. Actually, using traps in the 3rd round can be risky, because of gold units.

To be fair though: weather doesn't affect those same gold cards.

I'll also say one other thing regarding which one I feel is the more dominating force right now (and this is biased because I think ST is just huge right now): traps are immune to weather until triggered (and for fireball, it's technically always immune to weather).

But honestly, I don't really disagree with anything you said. Weather is definitely a dominating factor right now. I would hope that CDPR doesn't feel differently about this, but on the other hand, I'm not convinced that reworking the entire mechanic around rows/weather is the need. I would be open to a change, but I guess I feel more skeptical that it will change. Minor things appear to go unchanged in this game, and the notion that a major rework might come for a mechanic that existed in the AAA title game that spawned this - I feel it's a longshot.

On the topic of rows btw: I do actually disagree with this. I think the game would become M:TG without rows (minus the 1 card per turn aspect). The rows I think add a very interesting dynamic, one that attracted me to Gwent even when I couldn't get engaged with The Witcher.

Last edited:
ManwichTuesday;n7548260 said:
I'll also say one other thing regarding which one I feel is the more dominating force right now (and this is biased because I think ST is just huge right now): traps are immune to weather until triggered (and for fireball, it's technically always immune to weather).

It's proven ambush cards are not immune to weather. If you buff Toruviel with Dragoon, then gets hit with weather, then weather removed with Clear Sky, results in Toruviel being 6 strength, not 9.

The reason why ambush cards feel more dominant is because ST decks are generally stronger (or at least more diverse) than Monster decks.

ManwichTuesday;n7548260 said:
On the topic of rows btw: I do actually disagree with this. I think the game would become M:TG without rows (minus the 1 card per turn aspect). The rows I think add a very interesting dynamic, one that attracted me to Gwent even when I couldn't get engaged with The Witcher.

I am not saying Gwent shouldn't have rows. I only said the biggest impact to rows is weather. I would actually like to see more row mechanics.

Remove bronze weather cards.
Allow White Frost, Merigold's Hailstorm and Skellige Storm to act only on 1 of two rows (by choose).
Give Clear Skies card to each leader as an alternative ability.

Top Bottom