Weather and tempo issues in open beta. Solutions rather than complaints thread

+
I think if weather is affecting both sides, like it was before, you wont be able to spam it and ruin opponent's side.
or maybe, just maybe, weather card should be only one in deck, and player may select one to a specific row.
what's obvious, is that changes in weather cards must be made.

Since Open Beta this game is full of 1 Trick Ponies and i´m already tired of it.

Either i get spammed by weather until i cant counter it anymore or Nilf is spamming 5 or more Rot Tosser until you cant counter it anymore.
It´s just plain boring after a few days and i stop now, no point in playing anymore.

SickBrain80;n8668530 said:
Since Open Beta this game is full of 1 Trick Ponies and i´m already tired of it.

Either i get spammed by weather until i cant counter it anymore or Nilf is spamming 5 or more Rot Tosser until you cant counter it anymore.
It´s just plain boring after a few days and i stop now, no point in playing anymore.

While I normally try to be optimistic, I have to generally agree with this. I almost gave up on closed beta because players were constantly spamming the same meta decks. Now it's actually worse. I'm not going to bitch and cry that the game is broken, because A) it was free, and B) no one is forcing me to play it. But as the game stands now, it's not for me. I'll see if the things change when it comes out of beta, and if closed - open is any indication, it'll be a whole new game. Ciao for now

I agree with the people saying that weather is in better shape than in CBT, but I also believe bringing back weather immune units would be a good idea.

I easily went through all solo challenges except Dagon with basic decks (just to test if they are doable by players new to Gwent). But holy-moly, that weather spam and power swings with foglets is just too much. Even with my blue stripes deck that I had 80% winrate with (over 30 casual games in the first 3 days since OBT start) I had tough times beating Dagon. I had 4 ways to clear weather (Dethmold and 3 Blue Stripes Scouts), and it wasn't enough! I finally won on the 2nd or 3rd try only because he didn't have RNR.

However, I think the developers are encouraging us to try and play units that benefit from weather (like NR one who gets +2 armor and +2 power when he has no armor). The problem is, these units are still pretty weak.

Last edited:
To be clear, weather is not unbeatable, or even close to unbeatable. However, you can enter games were your good deck is going to loss to a deck with weather no matter what if you are playing another of the clear strategies. Maybe that is fine. But weather iIs just a simple way to play, dump weather, dump more weather....

i love the game and it is fine if this remains so, but just as leader cards got value I think clear skies should have value too. Would it neef weather...sure, and it would require weather Players to strategize a bit themselves, again maybe to hard to do.

That said, Love the changes overall...I am sure we can expect many infinite morphs of the game for a long time.

IMO the weather effect should affect your units at the end of your turn and not at the start. This way you could have a chance to react (with clear sky or so) without getting punished freely. As of now, your opponent play weather, you will ALWAYS lose strengh whatever you do AND tempo because you are forced to play a clear sky effect.
Also weather effect should either be limited in numbers in decks or even better should not be agile (like before). RIght now, one don't care where you place your units, your opponent will target the right row.

Don't know what to tell you. I'm ranked top 10 in the world and I'm up against mostly weather decks and have been destroying them. The deck is weak.

Ignotas;n8665900 said:
As I mentioned before in the post there are already a bunch of cards in each faction that allows you to deal with weather easily.

There's really not though, especially for the gold weathers. Your only option against those is to use clear sky or pass the round. Even when you play clear skies you're playing a card that does nothing while their card usually deals 6+ strength to you. Monster weather decks are not the issue. At higher levels every single deck is running at least one or two weather cards because they're just so powerful. Most people at high levels are also not even running weather counters anymore because they're all so awful. The counter to weather has become just run weather yourself.

BornBoring;n8651750 said:
Am I the only one, who doesn't like weather being played on one side only? I personally want to see more cards which actively interact with weather(spamming weather effects is no interaction in my opinion)and I want weather immunity back. I'd actually prefer no weather at all to having 5-10 cards, which play or remove weather, in every damn deck.

I'm with you on this.

I've never liked the idea of weather cards just straight-up damaging everything (the one exception is Frost, which I think is relatively okay in its current form). So, what if weather cards had strategic uses more closely related to what that type of weather does in real life?

For example, rain doesn't kill armies, but it does slow them down. So what if playing Torrential Rain did something like increasing the timers of cards by a turn or two. And cards whose abilities would normally deploy immediately are forced to wait 1-2 turns as well if they're played into rain. Then rain would become more of a delaying tactic, rather than outright destruction.

Similarly, fog makes it harder to see, so what if Impenetrable Fog caused cards in fog to take less damage, because attacking cards can't "see" them. This would lend the card more of a defensive use, which would again add a lot of strategic options to the game.

Of course, for these suggestions to be more balanced and fair, it would make sense for weather to go back to effecting both sides again.

Weather feels so bland right now. I really miss it playing on both sides and one specific row. As it exists now it is an oddball form of control that is overly punishing to those who didn't RNG into their FL's. It either needs to clear itself after a certain number of turns or interact with cards in other ways besides damaging them. It's awkward to expect everyone to tech for weather when not every deck should be running weather. If you don't tech for Monster Consume you still have a normal chance of beating them, but if you don't tech for weather then you get demolished by it. Currently the game would be much healthier (though missing a Gwent cornerstone) if weather was simply removed.

I don't know if any of us could come up with a perfect solution on our own. I know I wouldn't be able to. After the great changes in the last patch I trust CDPR to find an elegant solution. We just have to be vocal that we are not satisfied with weather's current state.

I would like to see some weather changes too. Don't get me wrong, current state of weather is "okeish" when you compare it to closed beta. I just would like to see it as less oppressive mechanic and more as a foundation for combo/synergy with other cards. Here is my idea:

First, weather should spawn on both sides of the board (you still pick the row) and we should have some weather immune units back in the game. In my opinion it encourages smart weather usage and deckbuilding, and just bring more variety into the game.

Now the biggest change, weather no longer deals damage every turn (at least in bronze/silver slot). Instead it deals initinal damage after it's played (something small, for starters let's say 1 point of damage that ignores armour). This damage would be also dealt to every unit that enters the row with weather (either moved or just played into it). Weather in that form could still work in Skellige wounding decks for instance.

To make weather more worthwile, I would expand on synergy mechanic with other cards. Let's take a foglet deck for example. You play fog, bring foglets from your deck on the board, your ancient foglets are boosted when they are in the fog (currently when fog is on board). And that's it. What if we could have more cards that work with weather, for example, Fiend could lock target unit and reduce it to 1 Strength when you target unit in fog (or he works as he is now when you play it on unit not in fog). So basically you get extra "umph" when used with fog, but it is still viable card without fog on board.

Bear in mind that this could also work outside monster faction. For instance, Alzur's Thunder could have additional effect when played on unit in rain, let's say it forks to adjacent unit and deal half its original damage to it. So 7 to main target and 3 to one adjacent unit.

Last thing that is completely optional, but may expand design space for Gwent: weather applies special status effects to units. For fog we could call it "obscured vision" or "blinded", for frost it could be "cold" and for rain "wet", you name it. So from earlier examples, Fiend would affect unit with "obscured vision" and Alzur's Thunder "wet" units. That way we could have some cards that apply those status effects outside weather cards, for example some mages could fit into that role, or cards like Wild Hunt Hound that could just apply "cold" to units on enemy row when played instead of just spawning frost.

Summary of changes and some ideas for weather cards:
Biting Frost - Apply frost to a row on both sides of the board. Damage all units on those rows by 1 and apply "cold" to them.
Impenetrable Fog - same as frost but apply fog and "obscured vision" status.
Torrential Rain - same as frost but apply rain and "wet".

Skellige Storm - Apply fog and rain to the same row (we have unique art for it in game anyway). Deal 2 damage and apply "obscured vision" and "wet" to units.
or apply fog or rain on 2 rows (you can go with 1 fog and 1 rain row, or 2 rows with fog/rain). Damage all units by 1 and apply coresponding "status".
White Frost - same as skellige storm but with frost and fog on one row.
or 2 rows with frost/fog
Merigold's Hailstorm - as skellige storm but with rain and frost
or 2 rows with frost/rain.

Ragh Nar Rook - 1-2 damage to all units in a single row after you play it, then 1 damage every round. Played on both sides of the board? Maybe it could stay in it's current form and just be played on both sides of the board for ultimate mayhem. Don't know, i think it is ok for gold weather card to have damage over time effect on it, but numbers just need some tweaking.
Drought could be changed to bronze card and apply "dry" so it could work with fire based cards.

Last edited:
Been playing ST since Public Beta. Figured it out that ST has some advantage against weather due to dwarf mercenaries and the like, but other decks can only use clear skies or units which clears one single row, plus the silver witch of each faction. IMO The problem lies in gold weathers since they require a clear or you are about to lose the round, but even if you cleared you gain no advantage (usually if we countered something specific we should gain some advantage). The rest can be discussed AFTER gold weathers are nerfed.

PinkFloyd76;n8651360 said:
Nevertheless this is the first time i find myself having exciting matches finally.

this. The thing about good balance is not nerfing a system any time it gains an advantage, but to produce ways for others to counter. Advantages are fun, countering them is even funner.

I say don't nerf weather, but perhaps make a new ability called "Umbrella" which protects the adjacent units from weather. Siege towers, building units, and stuff like that could have umbrella.

Top Bottom