Web Album/Photo Sharing

+
I'm a few years late but I just found out that Picasa has been retired. :giveup:

I'm looking for a web site or program that will allow a closed group of people to upload images either from computer or mobile to share amongst the group. Every user should have the ability to create folders but someone will be accorded administrator rights to manage the albums. And of course, generous storage space would be useful.

The story behind this is that my sister-in-law is terminally ill from cancer and is not expected to last long. Some of her siblings and cousins are sharing whatever photos they have of her on our WhatApp group, and I'd like to move them off WhatsApp and consolidate them onto a suitable platform. I was thinking of Picasa, but "it's dead Jim".

Alternatively, is it possible to achieve this using Google Photo?

Appreciate any suggestions, thanks.

G drive or Google Drive it's free , shareable , and easy. I use it for all my files storage and sharing.

Thanks but Drive is useful for file sharing, I'm thinking more of a web album that perhaps we could use as a memorial site.

I'm not really into these kind of sites but maybe you can use carrd.co as a memorial page and link it to a flickr account.

On a side note tho: keep her treatment and make sure she cuts all sugar, carbs, red meat, diary and soybean oil from her diet and start intermittent fasting as soon as possible.
It sounds dumb and overoptimistic for me to say that depending on her stage but that's how I was able to cure my aunt from cancer recently, on the worst case scenario it will certainly help her to feel much less pain from the treatment.

Last edited:
Thanks, she's been fighting for 4 years (docs gave her 6 months when diagnosed) but she's in a hospice now and on palliative care.

One could post photos on Picasa and others could view them if you gave them the link; I used to use Photobucket until it went paid subscription.

With google photo you can choose who to share photos with so I wouldn't think it would be a big problem to do that. There's an app for iphones and of course if you have an android device your pictures are all probably already uploaded there even if you didn't know about it. :p

You could also probably group share an Imgur account by all using the same user name and password.. However the site is kind of fiddly to use. Since you can make separate albums everyone could have their own album they upload pictures to and you can make everything you upload private so you wouldn't have to worry about that. Just might be hard to teach others how to use the site because it's not intuitive at all. It used to be but for whatever reason they made it more complicated than it needs to be. All in all, I'd try the google option first.

With google photo you can choose who to share photos with so I wouldn't think it would be a big problem to do that. There's an app for iphones and of course if you have an android device your pictures are all probably already uploaded there even if you didn't know about it. :p
Does one need a google account (eg Gmail) to access Google Photos?

Does one need a google account (eg Gmail) to access Google Photos?
Yeah, most likely you do. If you have a Gmail or youtube account (or android device) then chances are you already have a google account. If not you'd just need to go to google or gmail and create an account. Only sucks if you know someone that wants to be part of your picture group that is actively trying to avoid google. (although they could always login using someone elses in your groups info to avoid signing up for anything.)

Last edited:
Google photo or Facebook moments. Have a look at Cluster if you don't want everyone to need a google or FB account

Top Bottom