Weekly Poll 1/27/20 - Welcome Home, V. Get to Work (III)

+

You are going to:

• 6. Get into the Maze and just drop him and take the damned thing.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Night City sunset paints the streets a muddy red hue, reflecting off the towers and armoured glass of the storefronts nearby. Up ahead, you see the narrow shoulders of the joeboy moving through the crowd of evening city-dwellers. You aren't the best tracker, but you are hyper alert - and besides, you tagged the smirking little twerp with an IE-made transponder you can pulse into your Times Square Marquee display whenever you squeeze the broadcast unit in your hand.

Plaza.jpg

That part was pretty easy - you picked up the joeboy outside Sullen Mike's, caught up to him and slid the transponder against the hem of his Image Fashionware jacket as you passed. The microhooks stuck fast to the armour and you slid away into the crowd. The tracker was one of a dozen or so goodies you picked up from Kyle, a pal who lifted them from Data Inc. Good to have friends sometimes, friends with sticky fingers.

Joeboy (the data packet said his street name was RazorKut, RazarCut or something equally stupid) stops to chat to a metalhead outside Tong's Laundry. You can see the recent stains on the pavement where some unfortunate was recently "laundered" from the roof. The two shake hands and bang fists, then the joeboy continues.

You follow now above and behind him on an upper walkway, moving easily with the rhythm of the crowd. You brush past a couple arguing over combat handball scores and step around a tall blind man in preacher's garb, his arms out to an uncaring audience as he declaims the imminence of fleshly salvation.

You're coming up to your preferred spot for the grab in this part of town. There's a Night City unit stationed nearby, a bunch of NCPD-approved food kiosks out front and loud music from the retrothrash dance club squatting above the minimall. Pedestrian traffic kind of bulges here, as people make their way down into the NCART entrance or head into the Maze, the neighbourhood nickname for the rebuilt cross-streets that the Aldecadoes mostly got right when they put NC back together again. The Maze street rebuilds mostly work, but some are dead-ends and some go underground for a bit. NCPD patrols them fairly often, but even so, out-of-towners are advised to stay out. You are not an out-of-towner.

Maze.jpg

So: distractions, people, movement, smells, sounds and even cops - always handy for overreactions.

You know the joeboy won't take the NCART and if he drives he can't be "seen" by his "people". It's not far from Little China now - the sooner you take the package the better. You've made some preparations - time to move.

Last edited:
[Quick follow up: you get 1 choice. The outcome is not predetermined - I will be doing some rolls based on skills and stats.

Because the previous week was quite the split, with total votes for Interdiction beating Hacking and more than 50% wanting to do 2 things, this'll be Interdiction, then Trackback. I mean, depending on how things go. Could get messy.

If you have suggestions as to how to do the things above, great! Post below. People can Redpoint if they like them, or quote them or whatever. Not saying we'll do them, but if someone has a Cunning Plan, cool. Share! The ideas will add to V's repertoire of techniques for the future, even if they don't get used now.

Addendum - I expect I will be posting the skill check results here and it's worth saying that although I will be rolling -for- you guys, the rolls will be based on the character sheet, IP will be given and difficulties will be assigned as I always do - unfairly. It also means that, yes, now is when V can get hurt or even killed. Although I expect the Grab to be a 2-parter, so getting killed at this point is super unlikely - V has 4 Luck and would buy off any critical fails on important rolls. Anyway, point I'm making is - from here on out, your choices will very much result in game mechanic checks. With all that entails.]

[Addendum addendum: If there is a tie, I will choose the option most likely to succeed based on V's stats and skills. Also, yes, the package is quite small. He's not walking around with a shopping bag full of contraband, no. Although that -is- a funny image.]

Other polls here. Character sheet here.

Last edited:

Not too eager to send V to the Maze based on its description; who knows what, or who, she might run into.
I definitely don't like the idea of paying others to do the job. They might just take the package for themselves, or prove untrustworthy in some other way.
I also don't really fancy the idea of creating a general, larger-scale distraction because that'd be recipe for disaster judging by how the train trip went.

Also, I do like the sound of 2.

V can cause enough chaos easily with that kind of crowd. A smoke bomb set on the ventilation port of the dance club's Air-con unit, and a couple slipped into a few food kiosks set on a triggered delayed timer's. Plenty enough chaos and confusion from people running out of the dance club, and from around the food kiosk's should do nicely.
V can set the ones up near the kiosk, then find a vantage point within running shot of Joeboy, at the optimum time, trigger the Club smoke bomb to start the chaos, then food kiosk smoke bombs to go off in timed sequence to shepherd Joeboy to V, as Joeboy goes past in the chaos and confusion V can swipe the package. (edited to make some changes)

Last edited:

Sild

Ex-moderator
2:

Several options flash before V's eyes as he assesses the situation. Under normal circumstances he would treat this just like any other day swipe, only he knows how many times he's done it before on unsuspecting victims.. But this isn't a normal circumstance. He dosen't have much information about the carrier but if he's worth half his salt he'll be highly alert and suspicious of any interference. A high profile distraction or mugging migh kick him into full combat mode and god knows what he's capable of.. No, if he's to succeed now, he has to improvise.

To make it work, he's going with a double layered approach. His role in this play? A hungry streetrat. Plenty of those around.. He'll inconspicuously approach the target and play one of the oldest trick in the book, the mustard scam - he'll "accidentally" spill some of the mustard from his hotdog on the carrier then swipe the package, normally, but this time he'll need some extra help. He knows how the streets work, he also knows those trash kids would need little more in terms of persuasion than some eddies to go along with his plan. Their role is simple. As soon as he's made close contact with the target the thrash kids are going to join the party screaming bloody murder at them about how "they finally found him" and "payback time" then proceed in pursuing a "fleeing" V. This should confuse and draw the carriers focus from "V" long enough for him to employ his slight off hand and get the hell out of dodge with the courier and none the wiser.

2 with elements of 3 and 4.

Pay some street rats (i.e. street kids) to not so much mug him but harass and distract him, but mostly get him off his feet. Then come to his rescue and while helping him to his feet get the item. This way he has no cause to be suspicious of 'V' touching him.

A tie! I wonder which type of distraction will happen.
While I also wonder I dread the possible resolution.
But them I'm a pessimist ... expect the worse and am overjoyed on the rare occasions it doesn't happen. I've never understood how optimists can live with constant disappointment.

Last edited:
I agree, I went to see how all of it turns out, and where V comes out after the story is finished, but knowing Sard, I expect a premature death.

Top Bottom