Weekly Poll 10/15/18 - Vehicles!

+

What do you want from the vehicle play in 2077?

• Total voters
5 and 8. Also considered 9.

I don't know what I want as far as realistic driving goes, so I couldn't choose between 2 and 3.
In any case, vehicles (at least legally owned ones) should not be easy to get. Getting one should make you feel like you've actually achieved something; not just the usual "pay marginal sum, or even get for free".

I really like the idea of V's Drive skill affecting the driving itself and/or the vehicles available.

This miiiight take two polls. We'll see if I miss anything.

Also I left out the "don't care" option - if you don't care, don't vote.
Maybe I missed something somewhere along the line, but does CDPR tell you to do these? Do they look (if you know whether they do)?

1, 5, 8, 9.

There really should be skills to govern driving (both, car and motorcycles... and for flying too it ends up in the game). Such where the skill level determines how steady the steering is based on acceleration and driving speed and how reliable the breaks are. The faster you go/accelerate, the more skill you need to keep the vehicle in control. This would mean that superfast sports cars are for skilled drivers only - even acceleration might be a problem - while for less skilled, it'd be a pain and a health hazard to be behind the wheel (it'd not be fun and it'd be frustrating, but that's the point).

Outside the skill distorting the driving, I don't think it needs to be anything but "simple and fun", no overt racing game realism needed.

Cars should be hard to get. Very expensive and stealing shouldn't be nearly as simple and carefree as in GTA. No skillgates, though, everybody should be able to try out everything beyond their characters skill and see how it works.

Yeah, stealing should work both ways. If the player can steal cars from the NPC's, so should the NPC's from the PC.

Modding and pimping I don't care about. It's there or it's not, not a big deal.

But for misc gameplay spice, I would like to see a refueling requirement.

Car customization would be great. Along with that, itd be nice to have a place to store your customized car.

I'd want handling like in NFS: Most Wanted. Forza is too... Simulation-y and GTA has always been too float-y

I dont think character stats should affect driving. Really... Who wants to put points into driving. They could be better spent elsewhere.

Vehicles should be hard to come by and "feel" very different from each other, and NPC's shouldnt be able to jack you. That'd get old quickly.

There's my 2 cents.

Thanks for the new poll!

2, 8 & 9 were my votes. I would like somewhat realistic handling, but I think K.I.S.S. is a good rule for driving mechanics. I think vehicles should be more difficult to obtain, and should be able to be stolen (which IIRC was already confirmed after E3).

Question: Will there be flying vehicles? Forget it. Yes there will be.
Yes there will be but the player character will not be operating them. https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/20/cybe...-of-this-as-you-did-with-the-witcher-7646316/

GC: Was it implied you’d be able to drive flying cars as well?

MP: You won’t be able to control flying cars but they will be used for missions for crucial things. But the main way to get through will be on foot, cars, and bikes.

2, 4, 6, 10. Cars should feel plausible to drive, while still being fun, and not overly burdened by a devotion to realism. While driving shouldn't be restricted by stats (i.e you drive like a drunk unless your stat is high enough), I would like to see augs that can enhance the experience, such as seeing the racing line of a road, detect oncoming traffic that hidden by objects, or the ability to manipulate the traffic lights.

Cars should have a lot of variety and customisation- I'd love to takes an AWD sports car, jack it up, and add mud tires so that you end up with something like that looks like this:
SJkvCjn.jpg

As for ease of acquisition, a middle ground would be good. Cars shouldn't be as easy to grab as Saints Row were you simply kick out the driver, but they shouldn't be really hard to get either. Perhaps you have to 'stalk' the car you want, wait till the driver leaves the vehicle (you don't want TT or the cops to show up while you work), and actually hack the vehicle's security before you can drive off. And even then, you may still have to evade the cops.

Or you could always just buy it from a dealer, if you've got the eddies.

Not ashamed as my imagination runs wild. My votes are 1, 4, 5, 6, and 10.
Cars could have stats like: Grip, Horsepower, Acceleration, Armor, Hit Points
I'm not ashamed to say I love games that I can drive in and mod my cars. If car parts had stats that would be epic! I love the GTA style of driving and the same with games like The Need for Speed series (preferably the more story driven ones) and The Crew, even through The Crew lacked logic while upgrading the cars. Perhaps some of you may have played All Points Bulletin (APB for short) before it was sold into a pay to win trash heap? I did, and man did I LOVE putting together cars with parts that I earned doing things that involved cars! I quietly die a little inside each time I remember the days of old...

Imagine: Add a spoiler, it adds grip to your car because they are designed to create downward force to help hold your car down on the road for better grip. You add Super Slicks that stick to the road like a glue, but on the dirt they reduce your grip by almost half! So you add a spoiler that also adds grip but because you have slicks on your machine, your grip stat is reduced by half (just an example don't put me to work on making legit numbers for you guys) but it still gives you a little bit more help to round that dirt corner on the outskirts of town. Meanwhile you also added a front end to your car that should also be generating grip but also allows better airflow through the cooling system allowing better acceleration so maybe the extra power could also help you power slide around that corner? I could do this all day but Ill cut it short here as I don't want to bore you to death with my dreams of PC gaming salvation.

5, 8, and 2 are the most important for me. I want character skill to impact handling to a degree, and I want vehicles to actually require time, money, or some other form of effort to get. I don't see the need to hand them out to players for free. Most importantly, I want vehicles to have some actual weight to 'em. No arcadey, GTA V-like driving, please. But I also don't want overly-complex military sim controls, that's just going overboard for an RPG.

I do have a few very low-priority wishes for the vehicles, but they aren't important enough to tick off an option for. They are as follows:
  1. Vehicle variety would be nice, but not a dealbreaker. Cars and bikes are fine by me. I don't really care that much about boats, bicycles, trucks, vans, etc. I'm not against them, obviously, I just don't have a strong preference regarding whether or not we can control them (they'll obviously be in the game).
  2. The car we saw in the trailer is far too fancy and new looking (granted, it's dirty, so that's a nice touch). I'd like a few loud, noisy, old "beaters" as well. Maybe they're even unreliable, and the player's character has to use (gasp) their skills to patch it up.
  3. Flying vehicles. This is probably the lowest priority for me, since it's basically a guarantee that they won't be happening. However, you never know! Maybe CDPR will find a way - perhaps for DLC?

In order to get vehicles I think you should be able to only buy them. I don't want the world to feel arcadey like in gta; where you can kill and steal anything with barely no consequences. If they do allow you to steal vehicles in this game, I would like real consequences to be added.

2 (or 3, I don't know how realistic driving is, maybe we could choose the option we prefer), 5, 6, 7, 9 & 10.
I think vehicles should be easy to get if you can steal them (I would like if you need to have the skill for that) but stealing is a crime. So the most important the vehicle class, owner or it's fuction is (or if somebody sees you, recognizes you, or has a tracker, alarm, there's a camera, drone, etc.) the worse the consequences should be.

Last edited:
As far as "aquiring" vehicles goes, I really wouldn't want to be able to get the fastest or sturdiest vehicle in the game just walking out of the first cutscene.
Something like Jackie's car should be rare and about the fanciest thing you can find around there and also be considerably worse (much slower, takes more damage, worse brakes etc.) than what's available in the upper tax brackets.
I think a rather bad vehicle that barely goes half the speed limit and handles like a beached whale should be easy to pocket though, if you just have to get from point A to B...just barely enough to not be stranded somewhere.

In my opinion, the best of the best stuff should be hard to come by, if you don't buy it for considerable amounts of money - tough police chases you're more or less unable to do without sufficient dirving skill or maybe even being unable to enter them at all if your hacking skill isn't high enough.

Whatever you do plz don't make the vehicle handling like Watch Dog series. Couldn't play any of the two because how lousy the handling felt to me.

Top Bottom