Weekly Poll 10/22/18 - Gear Economy

+

What kind of an Economic Model do you want to see in 2077?

• Total voters
4 & 5 is my vote. While I like the idea of stocks ... I'm not sure how interesting of a mechanic it would be in practice.

I voted 3, but with a caveat: I want 90% of what gear I find to come entirely from what I scavenge from enemies, and in turn selling the excess to be the majority of my income. Maybe one or two items on par with or beyond what I can find on enemies to be found on merchants at any time.

4 and 5. The stock market sounds about as fun as it was in GTA5. which is to say, not at all. Also, you can grind but the pay off is minimal, like it was in TW1 and TW2.

I think wealth should be hard to come by.

One mechanic that id like that would sacrifice immersion for most people (I think) is that picking up a weapon that uses the same ammo type as a weapon you already own (if ammo type is a feature in the game) converts that weapon to ammo.

Like a step further than in Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
If you own a gun that uses the same caliber - regardless of whether its on you or not - the weapon you pick up is converted.

If you want new gear, you gotta spend money on it.

I think this would help with the games economy deal with the scavengers that pick everything up.

On that note, id also like to say that there shouldnt be a lot of resources just... Laying around. In bases, stores, and homes should be the only places you can loot stuff.

So i don't know what category my opinion would fall under. I'm guessing something like a combination of 1 & 4.

Last edited:
4 & 5 is my vote. While I like the idea of stocks ... I'm not sure how interesting of a mechanic it would be in practice.
Yeah, ditto.

In general, I don't want gear to be something you acquire by the dozens (a la Skyrim) and sell to rake in massive amounts of money. Oh, another Uncommon Level 2 Semi-Automatic Pistol. Sell it. Another? Oh, five on that guy? Sell 'em all. Hey guys, now I can buy a car!

...no thanks.

Thanks for the easy-to-choose-votes poll, Sard. :p

4 and 5. I don't want the simple model or no cap on sales, and story progress affecting sales is a big "no, thank you".
Stocks and investments are simply not for me.

Not grinding my way to wealth is my preferred way, preferably with skills/rep affecting sales.
So yeah, didn't have to think about what options to vote for. :D

One, of several, things I hate in most games is the "economy".
Merchants offer you 1/10th (or less) the price they turn around and sell something for. This I'd expect if you were fencing hot loot, they have to clean or transport it before they can make a profit. But normal pawnshops should offer around 25% and charge around 50% of what a new item costs.

And in spite of the ludicrous difference between buying and selling prices by the end of 99% of games you still have more money then you know what to do with. So why the stupid economics?

One, of several, things I hate in most games is the "economy".
Merchants offer you 1/10th (or less) the price they turn around and sell something for. This I'd expect if you were fencing hot loot, they have to clean or transport it before they can make a profit. But normal pawnshops should offer around 25% and charge around 50% of what a new item costs.

And in spite of the ludicrous difference between buying and selling prices by the end of 99% of games you still have more money then you know what to do with. So why the stupid economics?
Kinda wish more games had worthwhile late game money sinks. Even if it was just cosmetic nonsense. Witcher 3 had similar problems.

I guess that's what mods are for.

Everything should be cheap and easy so everybody can have fun.

While we're at it, I don't think it's necessary to have combat in the game. It's an unnecessary obstacle to get more of that Juicy Story.

I want the equipment in the stores to be worth buying. Because in modern action RPGs, the balance of the gear progression often shifts in the direction of looting gear, instead of buying stuff from a merchants. So merchants turn into junk dealers, buying your useless things.

Also i want some diversity within shops, pls no identical equipment in every shop! Would be cool if there is a black market with the most delicious things, but with the consequences of buying unstable cyber/weapons, or any equipment with a dark history (e.g. stolen from a gang/corporation who then started to look for it).

Last edited:
All I know is that I don't want the inventory + wealth system of TW3, where I could carry a dozen Novigrad swords and sell them all, become rich, but then had to blow it all up on specific gear.

PS: if the aforementioned system is required, to satisfy the average video game customer, then fine. But please make it variable depending on the chosen difficulty, so that I don't have to ferry huge weapon stockpiles to a shop out of every encounter, just to cover the possibility of affording some piece of gear later on.

Stock/exchange and investment in capital - this is like, combined with working on corporations, an ersatz corporate playstyle. Cool and welcomed addition to the game that lacks distinct corporate career path. So 2,4,5 that is. Good thing that majority of the forum thinks the same.

Can’t you just, like, not pick up anything but money to achieve that?
How it makes gear in the shops better than gear i looted? Or you suggest to me don't pick it up? Then why don't you miss intentionally, roleplaying a bad shooter (sarcasm).

1, 3 and 5 ( EDIT: No more 5 for me, didn't saw the "inventory" part).

I'm really not fond of 4 as I don't find it realistic as the only reason you can possibly overstock them is because there is far not enough merchants/customers considering the size of the city, plus loot is an essential part of C2020 player economy, and it's supposed to be too dangerous to grind (Remember that in that universe V is supposed to be killable by a lucky shot of a random junkie).

Stock and capital (2) would not work really well unless you are playing some roles (netrunner probably being the least efficient of those) most of them being unavailable (well: all of them besides netrunner). As a Solo-like mercenary You can only speculate against a corpo you're about go against, and that's about the size of it.

And 6 is just telling:" I'm a game! Breaks your immersion! "

Last edited:
888.jpg

In the Witcher 3, we were a master witcher. It made sense to have good gear and a little gold right of the bat.

CyberPunk2077 has us start as a relative nobody. A low-ranking mercenary. Our gear should be low quality.

CP77 is also a cutthroat world, and it should feel that way. Shit should be hard to get, and vendors should be as slimy as modern day car salesmen.

Top Bottom