Weekly Poll 10/22/18 - Gear Economy

+

What kind of an Economic Model do you want to see in 2077?

• Total voters
You know where your keys are? I can never remember where mine are. I can remember lots of other stuff that's completely useless 98% of the time, but where my keys are is fairly frequently a mystery.

In all seriousness though. Maybe in base inventory screen, you can select on different locations (i.e. back for backpack with sub-groupings for various backpack pockets, waste for belt, each leg for a pocket, etc) to access a different area where things can be stowed. Thus you ought to have quick knowledge for where things are. Then each place has a grid size or weight limitation for that area. Would make accessing items quicker for those who pay attention.

It seems to be a common misunderstanding that PnP RPGs are a series of "stop motion" actions, that's really not the case. It's because of the need to deal with multiple people in finite amount of game-time that this illusion exists. Another problem is FPS games rely on player not character skills and precision.

I like how you tossed in your favourite horse-beating there. I'd argue, ( again) that typical PnP RP games rely on player wit and intelligence and are equally unfair.

I usually tell players that in your turn, not only do your actions take place, but also eveyone else's actions. That's why you don't get 3.2 uninterrupted seconds. EVERYONE does something in those 3 seconds. Once they grasp this idea, they become much more careful in their choices. Like not rushing rifles. Well, the smarter players. The dumber ones make new characters. Oh, look, actual real life abilities influencing PnP! Shock.

On topic, if you want to go into your gear in the game, yes I'd like to see real-time in place. Under stress, people don't whip open their backpack and go rummaging around for that spare kevlar jacket they had, also while grabbing a quick snack. No.

I like how you tossed in your favourite horse-beating there. I'd argue, ( again) that typical PnP RP games rely on player wit and intelligence and are equally unfair.

It depends on the game master.
For example you can let or even suggest players to roll their intelligence/skills to know something their character should, or on the contrary nerf player who use their own skills to subjugate their character's lacks of skills (that part I call that bad roleplay).

It depends on the game master.
For example you can let or even suggest players to roll their intelligence/skills to know something their character should, or on the contrary nerf player who use their own skills to subjugate their character's lacks of skills (that part I call that bad roleplay).

Gooood luck with this. It's very very very hard to get players to suppress their own wit, intelligence, mental acuity and charisma. Even playing a game where there is something like an Int stat, they will still make a better character ( more to their purposes) than will someone who is not as good with systems. They will still be more persuasive and charming when talking to you and other players, even while playing a low-charisma goon. They will still be faster on the uptake in general.

Even in terms of earning extra role-playing awards for -playing- a dumber character, the wittier, more clever player will accrue XP faster.

I see this every week.

Even in terms of what gear or money mechanics players take advantage of, the "smarter" players will do their reading and put reward matrixes together better. With even average Int characters, they will be wealthy faster. Policing that, in terms of such fidelity on a game level, is both very challenging and frustrating for invested players.

Funny thing is, loot rarities were never even a thing in shooters until... what was it... I forgot which game it was, might have been Destiny, but there was essentially one game that kicked everything off.

Heck, it may have started with Overwatch and its skin rarities.

EVERYTHING went from being "Item Name Here" to "LEGENDARY Item Name Here," and every rarity in between. No logical reason for it. It's just because rarities get people excited.

"OMFG!!!111 I GOT A LEGENDARY GUN! IT DOES +5 DAMAGE!" as opposed to "Oh, cool, a +5 gun" (let's not get into how silly +5 damage is in the first place).
Depends on how you define shooter, if you count Borderlands (I do, but I could see some people not), that's the earliest rarity based looter shooter I can think of right now.

I think it can make sense if given the right implementation & explanation, I haven't played a game where it really felt like it was thought out beyond applying the very popular mechanic from Diablo or whatever, but I don't think it HAS to be that.

*EDIT* I came to this page and didn't notice I was viewing page 3 of 6, sorry for replying to something so long ago, leaving it in because of the sentiment that I don't think gear rarities need to be as shallow as they tend to be. */EDIT*

Borderlands
One of the good example of classic colour gear system with rarity that affects material of the gun.

Jakobsrarities.png

None of the options: I don't want loot (collecting 13 shotuns in your inventory is not realistic at all). I want a certain amount of slots to equip weapons/granades, if I find a weapon, I need to leave another one. This works fine if the game has not levels for weapons, a shotgun is a shotgun. You can have a corpo shotgun which is better than a normal one, but not 2 shotguns, one lvl 10 and the other lvl 15 which differ only in the DMG output for random reasons that don't exist in real life. If you cannot handle the lvl 15 shotgun only because you are below that number, than it's even worse (TW3).

But crafting will be in the game, so I'm pretty sure loot will be there as well. hours picking up junk just to resell it or craft...

None of the options: I don't want loot (collecting 13 shotuns in your inventory is not realistic at all).

Agreed. The black market is saturated with shotguns and pistols, so those are really not worth the time and money to pick up and resell. I doubt it will change for CP2077's world.

Assault rifles, on the other hand...

Top Bottom