Weekly Poll 11/18/18 - Skills!

+

What do you want to see for Skills in 2077?

• Total voters
The problem that irks me about gaming is that not all of the limitations on design decisions are based on technical limitations; some of them were design customs that have since become unwritten rules.
It allows people with no skills other reactions honed by hours of Mario and Sonic as a child to feel superior. Don't underestimate the sales value of that, game companies don't.

2, 4 and 8.

That's the way to go. They're all even even numbers and divisble with eachoter. If that's not a sign of a road to perfection, I don't know what is!!1!

Interesting and fairly unpredictable gameplay where skills do play an actual role all the time instead of just gating stuff. That should be the goal of any selfrespecting RPG.
Seconded.

Also, gear shouldn't be locked by level or "street cred." Makes no sense. If I find a gun, I want to shoot it. How good I am at shooting it should depend on my skill levels.

Firing a missile or grenade launcher too close to your position, or accidentally dropping a grenade at your own feet. Or one-shotting someone on your side.

At least, that's the only time I've ever seen it.
There's also accidentally discharging your side arm when removing it from a holster (or more commonly with this type of injury the waistband of your pants), the classic shooting yourself in the foot or leg while your weapon is in rest position, then you've got a whole slew of fun opportunities with the incorporation of walls and bullets that are prime for lethally viable ricochet shots. There's also the more mundane things like dropping the weapon, misfires, and jams, but snore. Smart guns I take it are "targeted" by the player since people walking around with IFF transponders would be one of the weirdest voluntary opt in programs I've ever heard of, so I guess you could have crit failures where you mistarget a smart gun, that could be real fun.

There's also accidentally discharging your side arm when removing it from a holster (or more commonly with this type of injury the waistband of your pants), the classic shooting yourself in the foot or leg while your weapon is in rest position, then you've got a whole slew of fun opportunities with the incorporation of walls and bullets that are prime for lethally viable ricochet shots. There's also the more mundane things like dropping the weapon, misfires, and jams, but snore. Smart guns I take it are "targeted" by the player since people walking around with IFF transponders would be one of the weirdest voluntary opt in programs I've ever heard of, so I guess you could have crit failures where you mistarget a smart gun, that could be real fun.
This should be mechanically implemented into gameplay and explained to players that it's not an annoying bug but critical failure mechanic. It should be done very carefully in the current state of the game(FPP, actions), because if in the middle on gunfight the game suddenly takes control of your gun turn it on your leg and shoot surely it will be very inconveniently. I can imagine this in classic RPG, but in FPP action RPG like we saw in trailer all that critical failure mechanic looks debatable. In action RPG you rather do something you mentioned by yourself :).

And also i say that all classic RPG mechanics which stays almost untouched since 80s needs to be revisited. Just because it an emulation of PnP RPGs action. And if PnP is an emulation of real actions which cannot be done in the format of PnP, the CRPGs gets emulation of emulation of real actions. Like nothing in common with real actions. Nowadays we have everything to emulate real actions without necessity of dice rolls mechanics and such. I agree that character > player in RPG but i think that cRPG genre need a fresh breath with completely new, creative and modern view without removing basics of RPG.

Smart guns I take it are "targeted" by the player since people walking around with IFF transponders would be one of the weirdest voluntary opt in programs I've ever heard of, so I guess you could have crit failures where you mistarget a smart gun, that could be real fun.

In 2020, a smartgun is an aim-assisted firearm that you -think- to fire, making it more accurate. You can also have a cybereye and internal reticle for increased accuracy - and there are more elaborate versions as well.

IFF transponders, "cookie cutter" chips and badges are far from uncommon and generally handed out to members of your Team or the VIP you are protecting. They allow auto-fire and rapid semi-auto shooting around safe targets with little to no chance of accidental hitting.

Money.

Because games like Alpha Protocol and Vampire Bloodlines don't do as well as they should. Even DX1 which had some of these systems was rapidly changed in the sequels.

People and critics love games that are easy to get into, highly immersive and relatively slick.

Actually the reason I avoided Alpha Protocol is because of timed dialogues.
Post automatically merged:

Fast Talker -- You know how to say what they want and get what you want. Gain something extra on any critical success during dialogue. However, those who prefer upfront business will not be impressed. If you fail a dialogue check against such a person, it'll cost you.

That one shout "Savescumming Powaaaaa!"

Actually the reason I avoided Alpha Protocol is because of timed dialogues.
I absolutely detest timed dialogs.
Most of them are set so fast you barely have time to read the options so have to save scum or basically pick one at random.

To it's credit tho W3 didn't have that problem.

For the smartgun thing, I think the way that should go for gameplay purposes is that the player needs to hold the reticle on a target until the gun "locks on". That should take a few seconds, maybe even 3 or 4 degrees of "lock", each of which gives a better percentage to track and hit the target. I supposed it could be augmented by some sort of "skill / perk" like Steady Aim that decreases the amount of time to lock on.

I don't think it should be "hold down trigger until ammo is depleted". There should be some semblance of gameplay challenge to using them.

On the topic of timed dialogues, I appreciate them for the sake of forcing the player to react. I'd definitely argue for it to be an option, though -- especially for non native language speakers that may need time to read.

That one shout "Savescumming Powaaaaa!"

Hey, if players want to save scum, what's wrong with that? If not, don't save scum.

Last edited:
For the smartgun thing, I think the way that should go for gameplay purposes is that the player needs to hold the reticle on a target until the gun "locks on". That should take a few seconds, maybe even 3 or 4 degrees of "lock", each of which gives a better percentage to track and hit the target.

Almost exactly like what I suggested earlier (a good number of times -- also found from the link in my sig). With the exception that I'd give the responsibility of locking and holding on to it to the player (for as long as he wishes, but only as long as the governing stat allows), and the hit-chance being a living metric based on the situation (movement, distance, etc) and how good the character is with the skill.

Last edited:
This should be mechanically implemented into gameplay and explained to players that it's not an annoying bug but critical failure mechanic. It should be done very carefully in the current state of the game(FPP, actions), because if in the middle on gunfight the game suddenly takes control of your gun turn it on your leg and shoot surely it will be very inconveniently. I can imagine this in classic RPG, but in FPP action RPG like we saw in trailer all that critical failure mechanic looks debatable. In action RPG you rather do something you mentioned by yourself :).

And also i say that all classic RPG mechanics which stays almost untouched since 80s needs to be revisited. Just because it an emulation of PnP RPGs action. And if PnP is an emulation of real actions which cannot be done in the format of PnP, the CRPGs gets emulation of emulation of real actions. Like nothing in common with real actions. Nowadays we have everything to emulate real actions without necessity of dice rolls mechanics and such. I agree that character > player in RPG but i think that cRPG genre need a fresh breath with completely new, creative and modern view without removing basics of RPG.
Sure, good points, I was mostly just spit balling with self inflicted injuries I've seen IRL and are surprisingly common (with the exception of the Cyberpunk specific ones). These aren't really my hopes for the game.

Almost exactly like what I suggested earlier (a good number of times). With the exception that I'd give the responsibility of locking and holding on to it to the player (for as long as he wishes, but only as long as the governing stat allows), and the hit-chance being a living metric based on the situation (movement, distance, etc) and how good the character is with the skill.

Or something like this! Trouble is, I'm not sure how many skills or perks could augment a "smartgun" before it starts to become cheese.

Maybe ammo count should be really low. Big thick bullets, slow-firing, perhaps relying on critical hits to be truly effective. So in a sense, it's guaranteed middling damage, or the ability to target weak points with a reliable degree of accuracy, but in order to really bring targets down, it requires reliable criticals.

Not sure how far away I'm getting from CP 2020 lore here. Sard's thing above makes it sound like you would mostly use smartguns for called shots / sniping. From what we've seen of it in the 2077 gameplay, it seems like it's more of a mainstay weapon.

For the smartgun thing, I think the way that should go for gameplay purposes is that the player needs to hold the reticle on a target until the gun "locks on". That should take a few seconds, maybe even 3 or 4 degrees of "lock", each of which gives a better percentage to track and hit the target. I supposed it could be augmented by some sort of "skill / perk" like Steady Aim that decreases the amount of time to lock on.

I don't think it should be "hold down trigger until ammo is depleted". There should be some semblance of gameplay challenge to using them.

Personnally I think it should depend on the character, not the player, even more for something like that.
Even if I think I'm probably stuck with playing a melee character anyway (in FPP, even worst...), it seems like Fallout and Mass Effect will stay the only A-RPG when I have te right to actually use a gun during a combat.

On the topic of timed dialogues, I appreciate them for the sake of forcing the player to react. I'd definitely argue for it to be an option, though -- especially for non native language speakers that may need time to read.

Personally it's not about the time to read, its about the whole process of decision I don't have IRL:
IRL you don't have to acknowlegde, then choose, from a limited number of possibilities, nor do you have to think which possibility would better fit the roleplay of your character.

Indeed. Save scumming is only the player ruining his own game at his own initiative.

(If it happens to ruin the game for him, that is.)

Well, if something important is linked to something as thin as a critical chance, then savescuming is mandatory.
And I wish it was possible in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (and the dev' which wrote the odds in this game should by
guillotined).

I think for smartguns, when you cursor over a target, you get a blip on it and an audio tone as long as you have the "aim" button up. Let the button go and the weapon fires. Kind of like how they are supposed to work in the PnP.

For added systems depth, how accurate the round is could depend on your weapon skill. Or where the target pip lands. Better skill = pip goes from torso to head to face to eyes, etc. Bypass armour, etc.

Autofire is tough to do with smart weapons, because you have to -think- fire for each shot. Instead, have it an AoE - a big hit zone or multiple hit zones on multiple targets.

And bullets don't curve. Ugh. How silly.

That's micromissiles! And they re-target on their own!

I like that smartgun concept.

As far as critical success/failure, to me I like the high level concept but have some issues with many implementations. IRL if you are really bad at something you have a higher chance of really messing something up, and if you are really good at something you have a much lower chance of catastrophe and a higher chance of succeeding spectacularly. So if we can crit as just a flat 1/20 chance or have a specific crit chance stat we can try to develop separate from our actual skills, to me that seems a little off. Conversely, if we do something like every point in a skill gives you another d6, and say 5 & 6 are success and every action requires n number of successes as a threshold. Then if you have more 1's than successes you critically fail, if you have more 6's than the target threshold, or something along those lines, then you critically succeed. With something akin to this idea you maintain the chance of tragedy at any skill level though it does become less likely and growing the chance for critical success at higher aptitudes, and avoid coupling it to an intangible point sink like a "crit chance" stat. Now video games tend to favor more of a formula concept over excessive simulated dice rolling, because constantly generating random numbers can be a little wasteful so the less you can do that the better, but the same concept can be applied by people who understand the maths.
tldr: Crit failure/success doesn't have to feel like an arbitrary game construct. It can relate to a sense of realism and add excitement if done well.

Personally it's not about the time to read, its about the whole process of decision I don't have IRL:
IRL you don't have to acknowlegde, then choose, from a limited number of possibilities, nor do you have to think which possibility would better fit the roleplay of your character.

Understandable, but this is a game. It's not real life, nor even a simulation of real life. I'm all for a truly hardcore simulation set in a sci-fi or fantasy realm, but CP2077 is not that. I think when games lose focus of what they are, that's where we get truly wonky gameplay that doesn't feel like it lines up.

And, for games or sims, I don't see why options cannot be included so the player can create exactly the type of game they're looking for. Maybe I'm heavily into realistic ballistics and shooting, but I don't really want to worry about eating. It's not really that much work to code something that says, "Don't check for hunger," or, "Auto-eat / infinite food."

Options are wonderful for giving people exactly what they're looking for.

Personnally I think it should depend on the character, not the player, even more for something like that.
Even if I think I'm probably stuck with playing a melee character anyway (in FPP, even worst...), it seems like Fallout and Mass Effect will stay the only A-RPG when I have te right to actually use a gun during a combat.

Forgive me, but I'm not understanding what you mean. Why are you forced to use melee?

Autofire is tough to do with smart weapons, because you have to -think- fire for each shot. Instead, have it an AoE - a big hit zone or multiple hit zones on multiple targets.

And bullets don't curve. Ugh. How silly.

That's micromissiles! And they re-target on their own!

Here's a skill / perk system right here, actually. In order to interface with more advanced "smart" weapons, a character needs to be familiar with less advanced forms. So, low-skill could give them an ability to fire with essentially "aim assist". Middle skills could add things like auto-targeting weak spots or ripple-firing at multiple targets. High skill could open up the ability to accurately control salvos of micromissles to track targets around corners and avoid obstacles / other targets.

Well, if something important is linked to something as thin as a critical chance, then savescuming is mandatory.

If it's something absolutely essential to progression is gated behind an RNG check, then that's just bad design and not the fault of the system. Other than that.... It - savescumming - is never mandatory.

Trouble is, I'm not sure how many skills or perks could augment a "smartgun" before it starts to become cheese.

You should ask "how much" and "how" instead of "how many" and the answer is much closer.

Understandable, but this is a game. It's not real life, nor even a simulation of real life. I'm all for a truly hardcore simulation set in a sci-fi or fantasy realm, but CP2077 is not that. I think when games lose focus of what they are, that's where we get truly wonky gameplay that doesn't feel like it lines up.

It's not about realism. It's just the reason why I'm against timed dialogues: because I'm timed like IRL but with other problems on top of that.
That's why I prefer non timed dialogues: because it's a good way to compensate created by the fact that it's a game and not just me speaking.

Options are wonderful for giving people exactly what they're looking for.

Very wise indeed.

Forgive me, but I'm not understanding what you mean. Why are you forced to use melee?

Cause I'm too bad at aiming in videogames, so if it's mandatory to using a gun then I'm stuck using melee.
For exemple I took me at lots of time just for this:
And that one was even worst:

Cause I'm too bad at aiming in videogames, so if it's mandatory to using a gun then I'm stuck using melee.

Yeah, this is why I want an auto-aim feature or Freeze Time option, because although you might be bad at shooting, your character should rock at it, if you put points there.

Or something like this! Trouble is, I'm not sure how many skills or perks could augment a "smartgun" before it starts to become cheese.

Maybe ammo count should be really low. Big thick bullets, slow-firing, perhaps relying on critical hits to be truly effective. So in a sense, it's guaranteed middling damage, or the ability to target weak points with a reliable degree of accuracy, but in order to really bring targets down, it requires reliable criticals.

Not sure how far away I'm getting from CP 2020 lore here. Sard's thing above makes it sound like you would mostly use smartguns for called shots / sniping. From what we've seen of it in the 2077 gameplay, it seems like it's more of a mainstay weapon.

Maybe have it so that smartguns themselves limit how much they can benefit from skills by how expensive they are? To where the quality of the smartgun you pay for matters?

Top Bottom