Weekly Poll 11/5/18 - RPG Life Simulator Aspects

+

How much life simulator role-playing do you want in CP2077?

• Total voters
I don't want to do chores in the game. If it's something useful like dying your gear or equipping your apartment with pretty things (and collecting those pretty things) for aesthetical pleasure - fine. But cooking, taking shower, mopping, visiting gas station or diners, walking a dog, collecting food recipes, doing dishes, fishing, managing rent, doing regular medical check ups, brushing you teeth every morning and evening so I can get some minor bonuses - spare me this shit.

Even in those games that system is never really good, you go hungry and thirsty too fast and often don't affect your character so much.
Well, the regularity is down to making it a constant issue, something thats on your mind, and thats the point in a survival game. That and the passage of time in general is faster in games.
Also, in Ark, if you don't eat or drink, you die, so definite a serious effect.

Have they announced boobie sliders? :love:
No idea, but I was refering to both the initital visual/physical choices at creation but also augmentation/cybernetics.

Have they announced boobie sliders? :love:

Needs physics too.

1 & 6 here, if done well. A week or two ago I would have voted either 2 or 3, because of how many survival games have turned me off on those kinds of tasks, but playing RDR2 where if I forget to eat for awhile it isn't the end of the world, but choosing to do so, preparing the meal, watching him eat. etc is all very satisfying to me.

As far as 6 goes, the effects don't have to be major, I prefer if they are fairly subtle, but maybe if I leave empty cans lying around my apartment visitors might be put off or something else that has an effect but isn't super aggressive about it.

Topic ...

I'm really surprised Option 1 is leading among the first 5 choices. I expected it to be 2 or 3.

Topic ...

I'm really surprised Option 1 is leading among the first 5 choices. I expected it to be 2 or 3.

I think it may be related to the feeling some of us have, about not being able to play V as we would wants to, so if we cannot do it during jobs at least be able to do it outside of jobs would be some way to compensate for that.

For example I cannot play a Rockerboy, but maybe I can have a guitar.
And if I can play it even better.
And if I can do that outside in the street (or in a club) even better.
And if NPC actually reacts to that even better.
And if it affect NPC response or V identification it's almost as if I can play my Rockerboy again (just missing the "My fans LISTEN to me!" part).

Last edited:

Kinda expected people to hate the idea. But in hindsight... Pointless busywork is the main appeal in Bethesda games too.

I don't mind if it's 1 or 2 as long as it's not all window dressing, but something that actually makes a difference in some form or another.

Kinda expected people to hate the idea. But in hindsight... Pointless busywork is the main appeal in Bethesda games too.

I don't mind if it's 1 or 2 as long as it's not all window dressing, but something that actually makes a difference in some form or another.

Yeah. If my maintaining mu guns has a point, let's do it. If I have to, I dunno, pay my rent or get evicted ( or threatened with eviction) cool.

It all fits the choice-consequences mold.

But if playing with my models or brushing my teeth is pointless, I'd rather not bother.

But if playing with my models or brushing my teeth is pointless, I'd rather not bother.

Yeah, I agree.

On one hand though... I once advocated (and still do) getting rid of all the cutscenes. The elevator scene for example (the exchange there would be better as a normal player-to-NPC dialog moment); and the waking up in the apartment sequence - which is more to the point I'm making - where, if I wanted to see my character brush his/her teeth, I should be able to do or not do so by my own initiative. And half-jokingly added that "throw in a small temporary bonus % for gained street cred if that's what it takes".

It's largely an irrelevant thing (not worth an argument, for example), but much more interesting and engaging even as such than gaining "a little bit of health over time" from a soda for example.

After playing RDR2, I realize this is what RPGs need. The ability to interact with the world on a mundane lvl, to really ground the player in the environment. I would like small details in CyberPunk as I experienced in RDR2.

Well ... she definitely has some non-standard voluntary muscle control.
But then so do folks that can wiggle their ears, raise one eyebrow, or use their toes as fingers.

Are we sure that's a real person? Some of the robots from Japan can be very convincing at a glance.

Tuco

Forum veteran
There's no a single answer in the poll I'm strongly against, because this can be very contextual and the quality of the implementation could turn either option good or bad.

Generally speaking I love when games do "systemic design" over scripted progression. Which means that for example I should be able to attack an NPC critical for plot advancement or a random pedestrian and live with the consequences. Or that my chances of sneaking into a building should depend on my actual ability to go unnoticed rather than from a scripted sequence and some external influencing factor.
I'm rather confident CP2077 won't go in this direction, sadly, especially related to the first point.
I like CDPR but it's hard to deny they are very much into their "cinematic presentation" rather than systemic design when it comes to their RPGs.

Still, regardless of how much "life simulation" is in, I'm confident I'm going to put a mark on the 6th answer, because I like my games with systems that have effects in games, I'm not into playing "pretend" with digital dolls.

2 1/2 and 6.

I like the option to do stuff but would hate for it to be a mandatory chore.
But I'd like to have doing it have some consequences, just doing stuff for the sake of doing it because you can is rather pointless.

This, I particularly hate when games have tedious exercises as mandatory unless it makes sense and is satisfying to do in some way. For immersion points it would really help in CP2077, but not if it takes away from the enjoyment of the game or forces you to do things you don't enjoy all the time. A consequence system would make more sense and be easier to tolerate because just like IRL you can easily ignore "mandatory" things...You just get consequences for it.

Not shaving/showering? People comment on how you stink. Very clean cut? You're perceived as clean and putting in effort. Maybe its easier to fit into a slum when you're dirty than it is when you're not?

Even in those games that system is never really good, you go hungry and thirsty too fast and often don't affect your character so much.

This, it drives me up the wall when its been like 10-20 minutes and my character is already HUNGRY again. I understand than time goes faster in games for cycles to be more enjoyable, but some tedious requirements shouldn't scale with that too. Why can't I go 3 days without eating and just tolerate a debuff or starvation? HAVING to do it every 10 minutes is just irritating and not enjoyable. But being able to go and cook something for a buff or fun or story, like going to a place to eat for a conversation with an npc? Sure that would be fun now and then.

Guest 4211861

no stupid timewasters, please.

I did make Sanctuary from Fallout 4 nice, but it gets annoying and ridiculous when having to repeat it for each camp. That was just a weird thing to add, from a gameplay perspective.

Anyway, I have faith in CDPR to get it right, whatever they decide to do.

Top Bottom