Weekly Poll 12/10/18 - Romance

+

What would you like to see for Romance in 2077?

• Total voters
Because It Was Asked For.

Okay. I'm prejudiced. I think actual romance is a beautiful, magical thing - screw you guys, I can be delicate if I want! - and it's suuuuuuper hard to do right in media. Games do -not- have a great history with this. Most of them, as you will probably agree, are Get The Sex Points objective lists.

I'm as guilty as anyone else - in DAO, my character slept with everyone he could. E-v-e-r-y-one. It was amusing but it was not particularly romantic and neither were my motivations.

Witcher did not a terrible job of this, but as someone who has been in love and more than once and has been married longer than many of you have been breathing, I can tell you romance is a big, complicated thing that simultaneously makes life worth living and occasionally makes you want to kill yourself. Or everyone else. Passionate, overwhelming and consuming. Even when it's just backdrop for your daily life, it still makes that life livable.

It's super-important is what I'm saying. And always done wrong, because these are "just video games."

BUT. It's a feature in games these days, like fighting and driving and mocking Rawls. And hopefully it will be done well, because, as another V said once, "Always, always romance. 'Midst insurrections clamour, we may easily forget just what it is for which we strive...isn't it dancing? Scented shoulders? Pupils widened by desire or wine? "

List of Polls to date: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/collected-weekly-polls-thread.10984601/

Last edited:
It depends on what type of romance are we talking about, one-night-stands or true romance?

If it's one night stands I think there still should be some limitations on how free you could romance someone. While it's fun screwing around with different people everyday, NPC should still have preferences to make them more human-like and not feel like lifeless hunk of meat (or metal).

This would be an exact opposite of what Cyberpunk would be y'know being free and all, but people like you and me should have different tastes at how they view others.

If it's true romance just do it like W3. There has to be main romance characters backed by the plot, and some additional oddball options with quirkier personality while staying true to the story.

Also harem option? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Well i don't really interested much so 10, but if romance thing is existing it should be more complex (stats and such) and dependent on choices in the main/side quests (it may turn into nice plot twists) so 5 and 7.

Sild

Ex-moderator
I think the best stories, are the personal stories, the ones filled with friendship, betrayal, redemption, and of course love. Don't get me wrong, epic, empire carving, when you go slay the big baddy, world saving stories are great, but what if the "big baddy" is someone that was with you all along from the beggining? could you just as easily end him?. Getting to know the world through its characters is imo the best way to do it, and romance, i believe, if done right, will always add to the experience.

Last edited:
I avoid romance like the plague in games, I feel that it is just added fluff that I don't need in a game I'm playing. If it's there, that's fine for those who are into that, but I for one will avoid it. Geralt became a bachelor in TW3, and admittedly I couldn't stand Yennifer. Oh well... ;)

Voted for number 10, I don't care about romance...

Personally, this is asking a lot but I'd actually prefer fade to black, or, even better, nonsexualized relationships. However, as I know this is asking a lot I merely request the modding API be made relatively flexible in regards to this (I think people on the opposite end of the spectrum would also appreciate that), so I can make things work for minority individuals with similar tastes to myself.

I think romance options should not be in the game.

Sex should be in the game, but I think romance would ruin the vibe that CyberPunk should have.

5, 7, 8, 10.

5, because characterbuild should matter one way or another in every gameplay decision.
7, because it is only natural to not be "fit" for everyone and everything. The opposite is just ridiculous.
8, because gratutious sex scenes serve no purpose. They don't add drama, they don't further the storytelling and they look bad. The cutscenes also rarely reflect the character you have in mind. Plus, it's a first person game... stick to that here too CDPR. Fade to black is just enough. Titties, pussies, nudity and copulation can be shown elsewhere with a better situational/narrative context, if they have to.

5, 7, 8, because "romances" are already said to be in as far I remember.

10, because I really don't like romances in games. They are always tacked on, overdone and poorly executed, and awkward. Wost case scenario, that shit just hurts the experience - and it most usually does. I don't remember a singe game that had it done with the sort of style and subtlety that it would feel organic and natural and not just offering overwritten virtual fucktoy-trophies the inclusion of which really don't add anything worthwhile to the game.

3. Because conversations and gamechoices should be them, not a simple skillcheck a la [perk: Ph.D in Chad sociology][EMP:10]"Letz fug :-DD". Arcanum dialogs worked that way, the player still needs to think what to say.
4. Because it's an RPG and those dialogue lines and choices should support character builds first and foremost. Arcanum dialogs works that way, even though the player knows what to say, the character isn't always up to the task.
These separated because point 5 implies that choices and stat checks are separate entities which is wrong and bad gamedesign.
7. Because it's an RPG.
9. Because these are hilariously bad and part of me wants CP2077 to crash and burn due to overuse of badly directed sex scenes like in Witcher 3 to the point of gamers starting to disdain sex scenes altogether.
Not 10 since romances are confirmed anyway.
Point 6 - anyone? As in, any NPC in the game?

Last edited:
1, 3, and 7

3 and 7 because that's probably what'll it will be. Developers have said that your actions and choices will influence whether or not people will talk to you and give you quests, so that'll probably apply to romance as well, and I think the sexuality thing is also going to be in play. So not everyone will be interested in jumping into bed with you, and that's fine by me.

And 1 because this shouldn't be overthought out. We don't need anything revolutionary here.

Yes, we need more "my fake videogame lover is better than your fake videogame lover." #10.

2, 3, & 7. Almost voted for 8 too, but decided to stay out of the 8 vs 9 debate entirely.

It's a feature in games these days, like fighting and driving and mocking Rawls.
I'm cool with mocking Rawls being a part of CP2077.

Last edited:
When it comes to good examples of VG romances... Jaheira, Viconia, Aerie spring to mind. Why? Because those relationships were lasting and emotionally involving. You had to weight your words and make decisions beyond "we bang ok? yes, no".

Among more fleeting things, Shani is my favorite encounter in the games of the past decade or so. It is detailed, amusing and a bit heart-breaking. Why not Yennefer or Merigold the treacherous dog? The latter is self-explanatory and the former isn't really emotionally involving, imo, but Yennefer is fun to observe.

Going forward.

2. More complex. You can hook up with some, but some you must woo correctly or no progress. There should be some challenge, at least though dialogues or additional actions.
5. A mix of stats and conversation/game choices. If there's a scientist lady, for example, your average INT won't impress her, she will find you boring and unexciting. But if you have high INT, you can find mutual things to talk about and it opens more options.
7. You can't romance certain persons, determined by sexuality, faction, game choices, etc. Self-explanatory.
8. Fade-to-black is fine, I don't care or actively don't want explicit sex scenes.

If stats don't affect conversation options, then only 7 and 8.

I think CDPR should use "romance" as the Developers of the role playing game suggested as a tool too advance a story . For example give the player a boy or girl/ friend does the player care about said girl friend what does he/she do when that street gang you just pissed off kidnaps or straight up kills her. maybe romancing one of the NPC your on mission with, reveals more or clouds the issues at hand; and could be used too twist a knife in the players back for surprise ending... Or and this one is my favorite trick too pull on players.. the gang is out for night on the town one of the players gets hit on by a girl who is actually trying too get the players ass kicked by her roid raging boyfriend. (some people are sadists what can I say) or even better. player takes girl too a hotel room where her real boyfriend or gang comes knocking on the door too rob the player. be careful out there folks and remember too use protection . LOLS but ultimately use romance as a means too get players invested into things they other wise most likely would not care about. He got mixed up with so n so and now only cares about this.. because I did it for the

Post automatically merged:

I would suggest developers look over the adventure moduels for insperation Euro tour and Green war are my favorites.

Last edited:
I think CDPR should use "romance" as the Developers of the role playing game suggested as a tool too advance a story . For example give the player a boy or girl/ friend does the player care about said girl friend what does he/she do when that street gang you just pissed off kidnaps or straight up kills her. maybe romancing one of the NPC your on mission with, reveals more or clouds the issues at hand; and could be used too twist a knife in the players back for surprise ending... Or and this one is my favorite trick too pull on players.. the gang is out for night on the town one of the players gets hit on by a girl who is actually trying too get the players ass kicked by her roid raging boyfriend. (some people are sadists what can I say) or even better. player takes girl too a hotel room where her real boyfriend or gang comes knocking on the door too rob the player. be careful out there folks and remember too use protection . LOLS

Some good examples there of how to make romances relevant and engaging for the player not just crossing some random points off a checklist.

Top Bottom