Weekly Poll 12/31/2018 - Death and Failure

+

How would you like to fail quests and/or die in 2077?

• Total voters
1 & 5. Honestly, I don't need to whole getting killed thing re-invented. While it's sometimes cool when you restart outside a hospital or whatever, it's REALLY lame if that happens and then you can just restart the mission where you left off. While it's cool to have fail states in quests with respect to choices, it's really lame if it happens because you fall off a high place or whatever. I don't prefer narrative punishment for level experimentation. Call me lazy, but it is what it is. So I would like one to have to live the the consequences of failing quests, but if you just die during the quest, I would like it if we went back to our old save spot, and restarted from there.

Last edited:
I voted for 2 and would love to see what ever CDPR dreams up for a CP flavour . RD2 took money off you which is annoying early when you don`t have much but by mid game who cares.

I voted for the simple option, #1, mostly because of the cheesy bullet sponge boss enemy we saw in the demo.

If the game were one where I have to keep moving strategically through cover until I get to a point where I can headshot the enemy, or I expose my own head to be shot by the enemy, then consequences to dying would be great. But when it's more of the nature of pump a hundred bullets in the enemy to take the shields down to 80%, then run circles around it three times, then pump another 100 bullets and repeat, ..., then no thanks: I'll take just a simple respawn at the last save point please.

Oh Sard you cynical fuck. All I want is number one. Like their other games. This isn't Dark Souls or some cheese dick alternative. We don't need contrived punishment for reloads. Make the difficulty right, and all is good.

1 and 5 for sure. Death is death, even in Cyberpunk. Respawning like this is some MMO or something would break immersion for me.

Now here's my question: What is the Game Saving going to be like?

Will we be able to boot up an old save if we don't like the consequenses of our actions (or if you voted for 5-7, if we die and fail a mission)? Or is it going to be an automatically saving file that can't be reloaded if you mess up?

Because if it's the first option, I'm not going to be too picky. Every game has a death/failure/respawn thing and I'll accept what CP2077 has. But if it's the second one, it's going to make most of these options very annoying. And, IMO, it would deter players from "goofing off", which is very important for open world games; we need to goof off!

I don't really care or know about the rest; it'll be what it'll be. Anything works for me. Can always adapt if it ends up being something other than what 1 describes. :p

1, 5 or 6, but I don't want to read "fail" because it tells me I didn't do what the game wanted, I prefer a "complete" with consequences. E.g. royce defeats you (in the game is just a knock out or very seriously wounded) and runs away with the bot. Quest complete, but then Dex deshawn is disappointed and you cannot continue his quest line at all or you need to convince him again. "All you had to do was take the damn bot, V!"

Probably too difficult to implement in a game, so it could be related only to side quests (the bloody baron dies while saving his wife, the world goes on anyway)(he couldn't die in the mission, right? I don't remember his life bar). Of course you can reload if you don't like it, what if you die because the game has a bug and you die falling from 1 meter like the good old white wolf?

No loss of cyberware, exp. point, souls, blood echoes you need to regain defeating enemies when you die, it's absolutely not immersive, simple reload does it's job.

Voted 1. I'm one of those people that restarts a game until I have that 'perfect' runthrough and can't stand failing a quest. Being able to load saves me a lot of frustration.

Totally fine with an autosave ironman mode for people who enjoy that kind of playthrough though. Let ereryone play as they like.

1 & 5.

I like the idea of the latter because that way you would really have to give your decisions and actions some in-depth thought before mindlessly rushing into doing something.

However, if failing certain quests might open new paths, so to speak, that would make things also interesting.

Then again, I'll be able to adapt with whatever it'll end up being in the end so pretty much anything goes for me.

Tuco

Forum veteran
Ideally I wouldn't want to see a single quest (main or side, doesn't matter) where a fail state isn't allowed.
And that's not mutually exclusive with saves and reloads, by the way.

I just wish we'd have the agency to fail but bear the consequences (i.e. "Protect the target" missions where the target actually dies/explodes) and keep going, without being asked to "Reload and try again".

Cyberpunk should have its own way of letting you come back to the game after dying. Something like Altered Carbon, where you don't really die and just come back to life.

There shouldn't be a heavy price for dying. Ideally, if you die, the worst that should happen is that you restart from a checkpoint (checkpoint, not a save) costing you some time to redo a portion of whatever area you are in. This lightly punishes a player for failing a portion of the mission, without allowing save scumming to just brute force a portion until something falls the players way.

As for death, I hope it's not addressed. If you die in the outside world, it shouldn't acknowledge it except in some meta way, like losing some gear or money. I hated that in the GTA series, you could be blown up, and then fall 5,000 feet to earth, and walk out of the hospital in 8 hours like they just had a body waiting for you. This was fine for the earlier series, but after 4, it hurt the immersion in the story, which had grown up considerably from the previous iterations from a power fantasy to actually telling a story with depth, consequences, and meaning. It falls flat when you waltz out of a hospital.

Cyberpunk should have its own way of letting you come back to the game after dying. Something like Altered Carbon, where you don't really die and just come back to life.

No, thanks. I disliked what they did with that. It's a cool overall idea, but it became gimmicky fast. They introduced the idea, stated how hard it was to kill a person permanently because of stacks, and then spent the next 10 episodes killing people's stacks that apparently can't take much more damage than a stiff breeze. At least, if you're not central to the story.

Dead is dead.

Trauma Team and the best hospital in Night City isn't going to do you any good if your brain is spattered across a wall. Same if you've bled out before you can receive treatment, the cells in your body are dead due to lack of oxygen.

I rather like the prospect that missions can fail, and the game continues on.
One could potentially plan a Derpy playthrough where you intentionally do the stupid and fail every mission than can be failed. :)

I wonder how that would play out?

I rather like the prospect that missions can fail, and the game continues on.
One could potentially plan a Derpy playthrough where you intentionally do the stupid and fail every mission than can be failed. :)

I wonder how that would play out?

I have no idea, but I'm also interested to find out.

I'm sure CDPR won't let you be too stupid. There are limits to what they can do with a story-driven game, of course. But I'm still excited to test those limits.

I don't wanna sound pessimistic, but I think it'll be "the guy is still alive" vs. "the guy is dead" with minimum consequences in terms of real gameplay, probably only better rewards if you succeed (loot and exp. points).

Top Bottom