Weekly Poll 12/24/18 - City-Wide Events!

+

What kind of a calendar year would you like to see in Night City?

• Total voters
So, a Merry Holiday to all and I hope everyone is fatter or smugger or somehow jolly. Ish. But with an Edge!

Anyway. On this Christmas Eve, ( or near enough to depending on your Time Zone) I think a poll about holidays - and festivals and events and, you know, calendars - is appropriate.

Scheduling is a big part of all our lives, but rarely shows its head in RPGs. You kind of exist in a same-day phantom zone, occasionally marked by day/night or weather.

Of course, we would like a living City, because fun. This question reflects how structured/dated you'd like City life to be. Would you like it to be on a daily and weekly schedule - Mon-Sunday, with holidays and events on the calendar that happen in-game time? Would you like them to be coded to arrive during in-game events? Etc.

And of course we already know there is a day/night cycle. But will we have St. Gibson's Day?!!

As always, rest of polls found here.

Hmm... not to sure about holidays in a game such as cyberpunk. Maybe it would work out as if it were a mod, such as skyrim's seasonal mods, or free DLC. But I definitely do want seasons and weather.

3 & 4. I always like it when games have a calendar and such. Holidays would be cool, I like the idea in-world holidays mixing with some IRL ones. Maybe one on Night's birthday or something. Would be a nice touch for lore. I'm not sure how necessary seasons are given the California settings. I'm not sure different times of the year would feel all that different.

Regardless of what they end up doing, this particular mechanic wont be game breaking for me whatever they decide to do.

5 & 9...
(edit: adding #6 to the vote)
I know all the excitement about Christmas and such big days (explaining this sudden enthusiasm in the poll options). Yet I'm dubious about reading this now, haha.

They probably did work the time management along with the environment, seasons (if there is any), and if not, then it will become some huge load of extra-work for the devs.

Personally I'm against seeing IRL-related events like Halloween or Christmas or whatever, this is good for low-tier hook system to bring people to play for no other reason than "party duuuuh" :ROFLMAO: This method worked in Postal 2 because the game was already a cynical joke about society and took place in a modern times, and the events served the purpose of the game. Every social concept had to be nuked with cynical humor, and that's why. But after all, if your game sales' profit reach Saturn during the first year, I know that the subject of holiday items will more be an answer rather than a question. However :

- I suggest instead to make up new events that suit the scenario/lore better, or keep the name of one or two generic holiday events (like Xmas) that would absolutely look, and be, different than what we're used to know, because this is a dystopian future. Surprise the player, that is the key.

- Not suggested in the poll (or I did read wrong), is the time lapse. I'd prefer real-time clock, either in the solo than the multi. Solo being "time pass as you play the game", and multi being "clock is equal to the clock of the server". That explaining why I'd like some way to make time pass quickly in the solo, like using the braindance, or reaching in a "coffin hotel" nearby a location where you'd have to wait 5hrs to meet a contact. That'd make sense, whaddaya think ?

Thanks for reading and have a good one folks ^^

Last edited:
1-3-5-6-8. 10 is a good joke option to vote for. Keep it up @Sardukhar , they're great.

I don't see how seasons fit into warm californian climate other than artificially built due to cascade ecology catastrophies. Of course there should be a way to skip large time periods if story actually treats time as important plot device.

3,7,4 for me. I like the idea of having a calendar but at some point it won't work because I highly doubt they'd represent the complete change of seasons. Or maybe since it's central Cali they wouldn't have to. They could just have foggier weather and more rain in the fall and winter. Come to think of it, allowing the player to choose the time of year V moves to Night City would be really cool. As for holidays and celebrations, another cool idea but have them fit the setting. Maybe ethnic holidays where people celebrate in the streets at certain spots in the city.

7, because I don't really care about holidays in games.

Weather is a must in game likes this, and seasons would be cool. Although since Night City is in California, seasons would be very, very different than what I'm used to seeing. :unsure:
But still, would be cool, especially as I don't recall playing a single game with an actual seasons system.

1-4-5

I know they're a bit contradictory in some cases, but it's more of a "pick one" thing.

Night city is in southern california. Do you they actually have real seasons there? Isn't it something like summer all year long?

Anyway, I'm pessimistic on this and think CDPR won't put any season apart from summer in the game (demo was set in april).

I think we'll need to wait for the next (or next next) games for real-time seasons (apart from forza horizon)(the new metro won't have real time seasons). t will be glorious.

Night city is in southern california. Do you they actually have real seasons there? Isn't it something like summer all year long?

Anyway, I'm pessimistic on this and think CDPR won't put any season apart from summer in the game (demo was set in april).

I think we'll need to wait for the next (or next next) games for real-time seasons (apart from forza horizon)(the new metro won't have real time seasons). t will be glorious.
Actually devs could make some interesting even without "real" seasons, for example "tropical rains" season or maybe even ash falling from wastelands which kinda looks like snow (ppl wearing gasmasks and such), 2020 setting has wastelands.

Night City is in the southern part of NorCal State. Morro Bay. That's where Mike Pondsmith put it anyway.

They have a "mediterranean climate".
"
A Mediterranean climate or dry summer climate is characterized by rainy winters and dry summers. While the climate receives its name from the Mediterranean Basin, these are generally located on the western coasts of continents, between roughly 30 and 43 degrees north and south of the equator, typically between oceanic climates towards the poles, and semi-arid and arid climates towards the equator."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morro_Bay,_California

They get lots of fog and overcast though.
"Beautiful area, right on the ocean, cool huge rock in the water. I love the small, walkable community and the farmers market is awesome. The temperature is always between 60-75 degrees. Morro Bay/San Luis Obispo area is one of the few areas left in california that is beautiful but does not have tons of people and traffic. The downsides of Morro Bay are the fog and the cost of living. It is often overcast because we're right on the ocean. If that bothers you, San Luis Obispo is a better place to live, because it is still mild weather and is sunny almost always in the summer and still only about 15 minutes from the beach. This is a very anti-growth area with lots of environmentalists, for better or for worse. "

Quite nice, actually!

But, yes, seasons. Two of them! Sort-of. Warm and cool! Drops to about 7 celsius in January. High of around 25 C in July.

Heh. It's on the wiki, too:

"Morro Bay is the location of the fictional Night City in the Cyberpunk 2020 role-playing game and the forthcoming Cyberpunk 2077 CRPG.[44] "

Snow? 0.1 inches in Morro Bay. Snow is super rare - at least in San Luis Obispo. Does happen though!

https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/weather/weather-watch/article122847349.html

Actually central California.

And no, San Francisco does NOT have the same climate as Los Angeles.
Part of this is due to a cold current that runs past it on it's way down from Alaska but turns out to sea before it gets to LA, that's why they have seals in SF but not in LA.

It's more that LA has perpetual summer, SF has perpetual spring.

Last edited:
you could have a mission involving weather experiments and Night city can see heavy snow fall and blizzard like conditions. the city will be ill equipped too deal with it ! and then mobsters or some corporation use the chaos too rob a bank or something using snowmobiles for there get away.. lols. boom adventure plot hook and sinker.
Post automatically merged:

Actually central California.

And no, San Francisco doe NOT have the same climate as Los Angeles.
Part of this is due to a cold current that runs past it on it's way down from Alaska but turns out to sea before it gets to LA, that's why they have seals in SF but not in LA.

It's more that LA has perpetual summer, SF has perpetual spring.

In Victoria BC its more like spring, summer and then 6 months of fall with the odd occasion for snow fall.

Last edited:
In Victoria BC its more like spring, summer and then 6 months of fall with the odd occasion for snow fall.
That whole stretch of the west coast of Canada and the US is effected by the same current, and of course the Pacific itself. Heck, just look at pictures from the area in question. LA is pretty much arid, anything north of about Santa Barbra is forest all the way north to Alaska.

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...and-land-cover-in-California-US-Bureau-of.png

2, 3, 4, and 8

I'm more interested in a realistic 24 hour cycle with strong day/night elements than I am in having a full on calander. But if you're going to do it, then don't just have it (like in Elder Scrolls, for example). Make the difference between April and October important, or at least noticable. Maybe with things like sports seasons or spring break being on the mind of NPCs, if not actual seasons.

I'd also like to see what kind of Cyberpunk holidays CDPR can imagine up!

I dont want city events to be correlated to real holiday's. Like i wanna spend Christmas (doesnt seem like a CyberPunk holiday to me, tbh, though) with my family and not feel like I'm missing something on a game.

I wouldnt mind holidays being story related though.

Those snowy winters in L.A.... Oh how I miss them.

I couldn't care less about calendar, city-wide events and crap like that. Spend dev resources on far more important elements.

Top Bottom