Weekly Poll 2/10/20 - Welcome Home V. Best Laid Plans... (V)

+

You...

• 5. Vault the railing, draw fire to yourself, let the cops get set up.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6. Scream "I'm on your side!" and back-up the cops.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You make your way to the drop you set up with Officer Marks months ago after Quayle put you two in touch. It's a Dataterm on the corner of 18th and University. It doesn't see much use, because the students are way too upsold on integrated head-tech to use something as quaint as a DT. Plus, security is for those who have something to fear, right?

You climb out of the pedicab, the lean woman pilot scanning your cred and nodding her thanks. You glance around yet again [Awareness check: 19 - just below Difficult. Spend 1 Luck for 20.] and see a couple dozen people moving on the street, mix of evening partiers, late-night commuters, brightly-dressed NCU kids, the usual NC dispossessed, heads down and out. Watching over it all, the glossy-black armoured Maxes from NCU Security.

Night City University complex takes up multiple blocks, many of which are underground, designed around what you heard once referred to as "urban fetish". NO idea what that meant. Apparently, odd angles, lots of reflective plates and tricks with lighting surfaces. Sure. The place is really a city-inside-a-city, dwarfing even the old New Harbour Mallplex if you include the subterranean areas. The rebuild around '30 must have been brutally expensive, but then again, what wasn't?

The dinged-up Dataterm IV, a remnant from the Collapse, opens when you press your thumb to the scratched and spattered monitor, wiping your hand on your pants reflexively [Personal Grooming Check: 10] . You drop a one-shot 'stick in there for Marks. Gotta spend money to make money. Habit has you check around you a few more times, [Awareness check: 18] then head over to a good watching spot, the second floor of a nearby BD arcade-slash-ice rink [Streetwise Check: 20. Difficult.].

Enough time passes you think about making a call, but, sure enough, an NCPD roller cruises up and stops beside the DT. Driver's door opens and Marks' thickset figure, even wider in the armor, climbs out. You remember sitting in one of those cavernous seats as a kid, marvelling at how over-sized it was. Built that way so the cops can get in and out with their gear on, your uncle told you. In a hurry, if they have to. The police sergeant, stiff-faced and at attention, while your uncle spoke. [Background: Corp].

Marks steps up beside the DT, glances around, then opens it. He pulls a package from his harness and drops it in. You don't think he sees you, [Stealth Check: 14, Luck point burned to make it 15 - Average] second floor balcony, sitting behind a group of juvegangers arguing over combat handball scores. You remember hearing this used to be Voodoo Boys turf, back when they were just city posers trying to be something more exotic. Famously violent. Before your time. VB that you know are ruthless, but far more powerful than their predecessors - control of modern Pacifica is nearly theirs. [Streetwise Check: 16]

Watching Marks, you see something else [Awareness Check 25. Very Difficult]- a pale yellow Toyo-Chev gliding a little too slowly, traffic backing up behind it. And, more worrying, a long, fairly beaten-up Lux 16 limo making a really clumsy U-turn in front of the cruiser. And...stopping. Crap.

Lux.jpg

You loosen the Vindicator in it's shoulder holster a bit, checking for the suppressor by touch.

Draw 3.jpg

Marks' partner, a short tough-looking woman, leans forward in her seat and the NCPD cruiser amplifies her voice.

"Hey, move that piece of...ohhhhh, shit!"

This last as the Lux 16's doors open and a half-dozen figures spill out, wearing a mix of armour and street-flash clothes, carrying what look like shotguns and carbines or SMGs. One guy has a damn IMI chainknife!

Making things worse, sure enough, you see that Toyo-Chev gun its engine and roar into motion, headed right towards the cops.

Chev.jpg

Marks jerks his head up, catching you in his gaze. Looks like he'd spotted you after all. He goes for his sidearm, spinning to face the oncoming Chev...

[3 choices. What happens will be a combination of the most popular choices and, of course, V's rolls..]

Other polls here. Character sheet here.

Last edited:
8 and 10.

Those juvegangers could make good cannon fodder temporary allies; surely a gunfight would be more exciting to them than their current topic of argument.
In any case, no sense in V getting directly involved herself right away. Maybe the cops can handle the situation, or maybe they'll all get killed by the attackers who'll then leave without spotting V.

Some of those poll options sound like great ways to get V killed or at least seriously injured. Already spent 2 of her Luck points, too, but maybe those will refresh after each "session" (= poll).

Drac with the ruthless pick.

Remember a few things, everyone - it's Cyberpunk, not our world. Tech is higher, networks are both more integral and more compromised (arguable) and if you don't think a few moves ahead, it'll bite you in the behind. Also, sometimes you gotta risk it to make it.

Luck refreshes every "scene", borrowed from Vampire. In 2020, it's every session, but that involves many times the rolls we use here - at least in terms of high stress sessions. Pure RP might not even see a die roll.

So, refreshing Luck every scene is my compromise.

While we're at it, wounds. Getting hurt, without the gear to repair fast or the money to afford Speedheal, takes a while. Don't get hurt. Also don't fail, or no money. Soo...yeah. Whatcha gonna do?

You can't really expect me to not attempt to use a bunch of disposable NPCs when they're there and the option to use them is there. :D

Sooooo..those are kids. I mean, I didn't want to get down and dirty in the space alotted (Tim is arguing for the Atlanta Hawks, his favourite team - he has about a dozen Hawk glo-tatts - whereas Shareen doesn't give a damn about combat ball, and just likes to wind Tim up), but for example: if V talks them into helping and they get wasted, there -will- be consequences. Kids ( even juvegangers!) have families, connections, etc. And you can bet this is all on cam somewhere unless a Runner has dosed it.

Plus I love consequences! Big fan of CDPR after all.

if V talks them into helping and they get wasted, there -will- be consequences. Kids ( even juvegangers!) have families, connections, etc. And you can bet this is all on cam somewhere unless a Runner has dosed it.
Still better than directly risking herself, because there is a chance the kids either will refuse to get involved or manage to get through it all without taking too much damage.
Like you said, ruthless. I would do that same thing if the exact situation happened in the game, consequences be damned.

Plus I love consequences! Big fan of CDPR after all.
That doesn't surprise me. :D

I skimmed through most of the paragraphs except for the last ones for context.

#8 followed by #4.

Police armor should be able to deal with small arms so let it. You really don't want to get directly involved if it can be avoided, sorta blows your "I'm just a bystander" cover. So keep watch for additional threats, warn the cops if needed, but only fire if there's no other choice.

#8 followed by #4.

Police armor should be able to deal with small arms so let it.

Ah, this is what I call the "AP gamble." Did the enemy bring enough punch to handle the objective? Is it an alternate?

I typically have the NPCs check (I like Streetwise and/or Combat Sense plus Int) for this sort of thing.

Armor is in widespread use in 2077 and cop armor is well known. But if you bring enough to beat it, there can be horrible consequences if you miss. When you miss (in Cyberpunk as you know, missing is real common). If you don't bring enough, then what's the point? Maybe you bring alternate options.

Should be interesting to see what happens....

2 and 7.

The dudes from the limo seem like the the highest threat but they'll be engaged by the cops soon and it seems everyone's priority is the box Marks just dropped off. The Chevy that hanged back and is now speeding towards the cops might be able to run in, grab the package and full throttle out. So first things should be stopping that Chev. Once that is done employ some smoke grenades to cover your descent in an attempt to take the package, high-jack a vehicle, and hightail it out of there, running over a few of the limo guys as well. Once a fair bit of distance has been put between V and the scene, abandon the vehicle and disappear but not before letting Officer Marks know, via whatever messaging system he has on hand that it was not V that set them up.

3, then 4, then 7. No time to mess around ... fight or flight. Use the height advantage and ambush the ambushers to give the Cops a chance. Then move under cover and get down to the ground to get a better angle since they're set up on Cops and my original position. Reengage ONLY once there's half decent opportunity (cops will be on their own for several moments). If you come across a vehicle to use as a ram, do it.

Causing chaos for the ambushers seems the best chance getting paid and possibly making friends. Living on the edge.

I like the "hollywood" approach some of the people have - the ones which went with number 2. Yeah, stopping a car with a pistol is such an easy task - actors in movies do that all the time! :facepalm:

I like the "hollywood" approach some of the people have - the ones which went with number 2. Yeah, stopping a car with a pistol is such an easy task - actors in movies do that all the time! :facepalm:

True!

A note about gear though: as I mentioned awhile ago, V had time to get relatively geared for this. AP rounds in 2077 are pretty common, as well as more exotic options. Of course, so is armor!

Still, stopping a moving car with a 9mm autopistol...challenging! Difficult or Very Difficult, depending on circumstances.

Someone asked for a tactical map...I'm not a huge fan of those for CPunk. I like combat to be confusing and scary ( real thing is!) unless a) the character is a -very- hardened pro ( in which case it's just scary) and/or b) there has been sufficient time for tactical analysis and logistical support. Even then, it'll all go south fast!

Later, as V settles in and you guys get used to this sort of thing, we'll do some maps. That will be 50% lies of course. Awareness rolls, ho!

Also eventually (scene or chapter conclusion) do skill-used Improvement Points. And General IP, which I hand out that can go into any skill(s). Do a separate mini-poll for that probably along with gear buys if V makes it out alive and paid.

Last edited:
Still, 9mm AP will have a real trouble damaging an engine.

Anyway, I'm all for flanking and ambushing. We owe cops nothing and flanking would allow us to assess the situation a little bit better. Not to mention the bonus: not being in the line of fire.

Ah, this is what I call the "AP gamble." Did the enemy bring enough punch to handle the objective? Is it an alternate?
Very true.

But standard street thugs shouldn't be packing weaponry that can penetrate standard cop armor, if they are why the hell even bother with the armor in the first place if you're a cop?

Now if the assailants are more then standard street thugs, the cops are in TROUBLE, and chances are intervening is only going to increase the body count by one, you.

And this is one reason I carried a .357 when I wore a badge.
You're NOT going to penetrate thru an engine, but you'll probably crack the block so it isn't going very far.

Last edited:
Very true.

But standard street thugs shouldn't be packing weaponry that can penetrate standard cop armor, if they are why the hell even bother with the armor in the first place if you're a cop?

It beats not having armor at all. Just a question of what level you or the department wants. Betting on your armor in 2077 vs a committed enemy isn't a good bet. NCPD cops know that. Not like the department spends a whole lot on them in the first place.

There aren't really any "standard street thugs" - different levels of skill and equipment and commitment. In 2077, good armour and armor piercing rounds and weapons are both available, especially to the criminal element.

The counter argument to your point is, why even make a run on the cops if you can't drop them?

Being a (street) cop in Night City in 2077 is not a safe job or a good job. Pay is crap, gear is so so at best and injury and death are far from rare. But at least there is pay - and even a pension if you make that far. Plus of course, graft.

You really don't want to get directly involved if it can be avoided, sorta blows your "I'm just a bystander" cover. So keep watch for additional threats, warn the cops if needed, but only fire if there's no other choice.
I dunno, I did my response as an immediate reaction (because that's more fun) than really thinking about it much ... but I do think it makes a lot of sense to dive right in for a couple reasons:

1. Marks knows you're there. Clearly looked at us knowingly. The just a bystander cover is already gone if he lives. If we can't be anonymous bystander ... the next best option IMO is an at least temporary ally. Opens up a whole world of options IF we both make it out of this. So I think it's better to get involved than sit it out, if we want any decent chance at the loot. Cause if we wait and the gangers can overpower the cops ... we're definitely not gonna be winning that fight against them. So adios payday. If we wait it out and the cops win ... then they're not gonna be especially helpful later. The only way sitting it out works is if they almost wipe each other out, and we're willing to mop up what's left. At least if you work with the cops, you may be able to work out some arrangement after having just saved their tails ... again assuming it works.

2. Assuming we are going to get involved and not get the hell out of dodge, in this crucial first couple seconds, V has a tactical advantage on the ambushers - "good watching spot, the second floor of a nearby BD arcade-slash-ice rink" means you have elevation and they are currently in the open. Also, their attention is not on you, which means the first load of rounds is like to cause some confusion, even if only for a moment, and they are unlikely to get a good read on V's exact location (bit of a roll of the dice here depending on cyberware and skills). However, if we're gonna get in the thick of it, do so when you have the upper hand yes? I doubt it's gonna get better than behind elevated cover while they're grouped together in the open. Even if you don't take them out, you've royally messed up the plan. If they're pros it wont take long to adapt ... but even if they are, by the time they're reacting they might be down a couple members. 3 on 4 is a lot better than 3 on 6.

It beats not having armor at all.
In 1350 everyone (who could afford it) wore head-to-toe plate, but about that time gunpowder came on the scene. At first gunpowder weapons were pretty primitive so armor persisted till about 1500. But by about 1650 body armor had pretty much disappeared because it was useless. Then in about 1960 kevlar was developed and body armor reappeared.

My point is ... if it's a choice between useless armor and none at all history shows people tend to elect for none.

So if the NCPD is wearing body armor is has to be reasonably effective.

Last edited:
So if the NCPD is wearing body armor is has to be reasonably effective.

In 2077, some external and cyber armour will protect you against some weapons. And some, it won't. Just depends on how determined and/or lucky your attacker is. If you are wearing SP 14 and they bring an HK 10mm with AP, wellup, that's not gonna work out too well for you. If they bring a 9mm without AP, you're gonna be fine. Ish.

Cops in NCPD typically wear a mixture of good soft armour (SP 18) with a plate (SP 20) and then adjust. In summer they tend to forget the plate if no one has been shot in a few days, then suddenly remember. Same for their helmet.

Some cops eschew this heavy armour - it slows them down a lot and with the rest of their gear is pretty bulky, thus the reference to the oversized seats - and rely on other things for protection on the Street.

In case anyone wonders where I'm pulling this from and/or are interested, Protect and Serve is a pretty cool NCPD handbook. I for sure don't agree with everything in there (I prefer a darker look and a messier world than the one they present) but it's my usual starting point.

In short, NCPD Patrol armour, if actually worn, is pretty good but can absolutely be beaten by Street level gear and/or good shooting!

Top Bottom