Weekly Poll 2/19/19 - Time!

+

How would you like to see time handled in the game?

• 2. I do not want to be able to advance time by sleeping/waiting/etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Been meaning to do this for awhile, kind of lost track of...time. Egads I'm funny.

Anyhoo, Draconifors suggested this. Timescale!

I'm playing Metro and watching the day go by muy quickly and the dark approach. This is good in terms of stealth and bad in terms of edibility. My edibility.

So what kind of timescale would you like to see in 2077? It's a fairly important question. Some people prefer night-time themes, others really need to see clearly and operate during the day nearly exclusively.

I rarely find a perfect balance - whichever one I prefer is over too quickly.

Straight ripped these questions off of Drac, so blam...er, credit her. Thanks, Drac!

List of Polls to date: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/collected-weekly-polls-thread.10984601/

I voted for 1. I suspect they will have different things available at different times, it is something I'm really enjoying about the Witcher 1 right now, but given that I should be able to speed up to a specific time if I want, especially if there is a wait/kill time option that I can do anywhere rather than having to go back to my apartment or something. I am not opposed to some sort of resource expenditure (like money as V is buying drinks or something to not get kicked out), or the option of getting interrupted by something.

As far as the scale goes, I didn't vote, because I do care, I'm just torn. On one hand having a faster than RL time scale can get weird when you go into a building and leave 30 minutes later to find that several hours has passed now all the shops are closed, but on the other hand when you are waiting for something to happen but you don't know exactly when it is going to go down a 1:1 or slow scale can be really trying.

Sild

Ex-moderator
I want it set during winter.. so basically the same as summer but longer nights ;)

1 and 7. I wouldn't say no to 8 either.

Closer to realistic timescale than watching shadows tick forward by every second. And of course the pace of gameplay adjusted accordingly.

Although, of course, the passage of time is almost completely irrelevant if time doesn't actually matter in the game (beyond offering visual cues):
- missions (where applicable and making sense): do it by X time&date; be at Y by X time&date; if X not done by Y time&date, conditions change and/or mission fails.
- timetables for how the world works; shops/bars etc. open and close between X and Y hours, certain characters/missions etc. are available between X and Y hours, etc.
- Exhaustion, V getting tired for running around for days on full steam.

And so on. What ever all could fit the bill.

Yay. Thanks, Sard! I'm glad my joke didn't go unnoticed, by the way.

1 and 7 for me.
I hatehatehate not being able to advance time when I want or need to. If a quest/NPC/event requires me to be somewhere at midnight, but I find out about it at 1 am, I do not want to be forced to run/fool around for 23 hours. I can and will sometimes do it, but I want to have the option to just skip those 23 hours.
I also hate it when an in-game day passes before I can get anything done, which is why I always modify Skyrim's timescale from the ridiculous 20 to a much more reasonable 10. 1 would be far too low; it's the other extreme, and even worse.

If the default timescale is something like 10 or 15 then I don't need the option to customize it. If it's super high or super low, and significantly affects how the game plays, then customization would be welcome.
From what I can find all three Witcher games use timescale 15, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the same in Cyberpunk 2077. Which would be fine with me.

6,7,8 are weird time scales. Usually they go for 1 minute = 1 hour (GTA) or 1 hour = 1 day (TW3). The latter is the one I prefer (or even longer would be better, i.e. MGS V). I believe we'll get it like TW3 for obvious reasons.

I'd go with something faster than real life (Not sure HOW much faster, because I don't remember what similar games do), and definitely it should be possible to wait or sleep to advance time.

I agree with @Mybrokenenglish. I'd prefer the Witcher 3's timecale over GTA V's, but I'm not sure if either is 100% preferably. I'd even be OK with a bit slower than the Witcher 3 (but not by a significant margin).

Yeah I'd like a customizable timescale for this reason - I'm not sure which I want and won't until I play. I do like the idea of 1:1, but hrm. Too bold?

Everyone is gonna have different preferences - those examples are just that, examples. It's really a case of faster than real life or muuuch faster than real life.

Not sure how coding works with an adjutable timescale. I suspect events would become frazzled if we could set our own. And weather.

Maybe a small range of options - like, 5 selections?

Oh and you're welcome, Drac.

1, 5, 7 - I think the issue with 1:1 would be if there were time dependent quest qualifiers (like in TW3). Of course, if there's resting option, it's not as big a deal ... but I do think some more variety than that is a good thing. Same with weather ... if the rain lasted 6 straight hours, it might get a bit old (just ask anyone who had that bug on PS4 for TW3 where it rained constantly). Having said that, I do like the idea of a slower passage of time.

Related to this, there was a dude who tried to figure out the timescale in the demo here - https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/time-in-cyberpunk-2077.10982462/ (Spoiler alert it was 72 minutes IRL for 1 day in game - though that obviously could have been to show off both day and night in demo).

Edit: Personally, if we're going to be specific, I would prefer somewhere between a 1 minute IRL = 6 minutes in game and 1 minute IRL = 12 minutes in game. That would put a day in game at anywhere from 2-4 hours IRL. Which feels about right to me.

Last edited:
Yeah I'd like a customizable timescale for this reason - I'm not sure which I want and won't until I play. I do like the idea of 1:1, but hrm. Too bold?

Everyone is gonna have different preferences - those examples are just that, examples. It's really a case of faster than real life or muuuch faster than real life.

Not sure how coding works with an adjutable timescale. I suspect events would become frazzled if we could set our own. And weather.

Maybe a small range of options - like, 5 selections?

Oh and you're welcome, Drac.
I actually agree with this. I don't know if it's viable from a development perspective, but 1-to-1 might be fun to at least try.

My only issue with it would be that moving throughout the city might be a bit unrealistic... But maybe that's okay. It'd be kinda neat to set the timescale to mirror real life. And, of course, it can still skip around as needed for story.

Last edited:

I almost did 7 as well but IF we have the option to wait/rest to advance time 1:1 will work just fine.

Definitely number 1 and not sure about the time scale 6, 7 . In the end i agree with Mybrokenenglish the way CDPR did TW3 is fine with me .

As long as the change of time during the in-game day feels realistic and not just all of a sudden it's night and then day.

Also the everyone should have schedule so I see a NPC 5:00 they might drinking in front of their house but at 13:00 they working in a Cafe as a barista.

Or maybe you see someone walking down in the night and next morning you find out that next on the news they die in a car crashed.

Also the world should change over time it's just builds realism if the way the world looks different from the beginning of the world compared to the end what the end of the game 10 years later but somehow the world exactly same in today's world that would have happened.

Just change over time is good.

As long as the change of time during the in-game day feels realistic and not just all of a sudden it's night and then day.

Also the everyone should have schedule so I see a NPC 5:00 they might drinking in front of their house but at 13:00 they working in a Cafe as a barista.

The Devs have said NPC will have a schedule both day and night . A safe place in the day with Corpos might / will be dangerous a night with gangs .

would like to see real time, time with a waitable slider. It would be kinda neat to sit in a chair and press fast forward or something. For instance you are waiting for a contact at a certain time and a certain place. If you waited at a table with a beer in hand and you were in an area that had people or a hitman looking for you it would be cool for that fast forwarding to stop and then the encounter begins, some guy shooting you or coming at you screaming trying to hit you or van pulls up with some gangers that attack and try to capture you etc.

Top Bottom