Weekly Poll 3/16/20 - Open World Access

+

In terms of access:

• Total voters
2, 7, 9, 10. First play-through is 7. After that I get more exploration oriented depending on character and build.

2, 5, 6, and 9.

I always try to explore everywhere and find everything, but I never manage it in a single playthrough when the open world is massive. There was this one dungeon in Skyrim that I only found after 1000+ hours and who knows how many characters played. And I wouldn't be surprised if I STILL haven't found everything -- in fact, I know I haven't. And it's the same with every open world game; even if I try to be super thorough I always fail to discover everything in one playthrough.

Alternate access hunting, to me, often means finding access that isn't intended by the developers. You know, scaling walls, dropping/descending down from above (like with Lugos's fortress in Witcher 3), that sort of thing.
"Hmm... I might be able to get to that roof and then jump across this fence from there... I'm gonna try."

If my character isn't entirely law-abiding then I will also explore areas that are off-limits (count as trespassing) if such areas exist and are accessible (not behind an unopenable door like something). Consequences be damned.

One thing I never do in open-world RPGs is following the story and only the story. Exploring is just as important, especially when the game is by developers who really love hiding things in the world.

Good open world means to me that if I can logically go somewhere then I can effectively go somewhere when I want, ever if it can actually be difficult.

Didn't find which number it is.

Just a simple vote for 2 , good games reward you for taking the time to explore . Even if it takes a couple of play thru`s i TRY to see everything .

Voted 7, since I really don't care for Open World and kinda hate them.

I follow the story, I don't look around bushes and underneath rocks. And I was never curious in the sense ''See cave and go Ohhh time to delve in and see if it has treasures'' .

The only aspect of open world I would care for..would be loading time between areas. Like entering a home or something.

Voted 2 because there's just so much detail in games today on so many levels that I can't help but to explore everything I can and enjoying every little piece of the world or the location given. It took way longer to beat DOOM (2016) than it should have solely because of my exploration efforts, and I hope that Cybepunk is going to be full of things and areas just waiting to be found and explored hard.

Save scumming is your friend!

Not because I necessarily want the "best" outcome but because you can save, try stuff just to see what happens or what's behind door #3, and not ruin your playthru in the process. While I may well do multiple playthrus (if I buy CP2077 at all, depends how twitch the combat, driving, and probably platforming are) I may not.

Last edited:
2, 6, 9, 10.

I think everything should be explorable, ultimately. But never ever by one single character.

The most optimal situation would be that with your character, you can see roughly a 3rd or 4th of the game respectively to how you've done things and how the consequences of your deeds dictate what's open and closed to you, and furthermore what kind of character you've built.

E.g.
- A streetkid or nomad background might not ever be allowed an entrance to some of the places, items and missions a corpo bacground has. And of course it would be the same for the other backgrounds too.
- You might not be allowed a legal entrance to certain places unless you have the right kind of apparel and style (like expensive and stylistic enough clothes for some high end nightclubs or corp offices, or streetwear for certain gangs).
- You might not be allowed an entrance to certain places or to meet certain NPC's unless you've met the right prerequisities. Like having done certain things, being adept enough at a certain skill.

Things like that. All working dynamically and organically as you go onwards with your character.

I don't understand how you could be denied access to somewhere where IRL the only possibilities to do that to someone how have access to heavy weapons is to kill that person using guards and true fortifications under alert protocols.

I don't understand how you could be denied access to somewhere where IRL...

Locked doors, guards, bouncers and security systems are usually fine for denying access IRL. Forcing yourself in with heavy weapons is usually a bad idea unless mayhem is what you're looking for. Sneaking through alternative routes is a possibility, but don't get caught... in a members only club or a somewhere with a strict dresscode, you're not likely to blend in if you need to sneak in in the first place.

Locked doors, guards, bouncers and security systems are usually fine for denying access IRL. Forcing yourself in with heavy weapons is usually a bad idea unless mayhem is what you're looking for. Sneaking through alternative routes is a possibility, but don't get caught... in a members only club or a somewhere with a strict dresscode, you're not likely to blend in if you need to sneak in in the first place.

That what I said: Even if there might be consequences, plain "you cannot go there" usually doesn't makes sense unless true fortifications under alert protocols.
"Consequences" doesn't mean "cannot go there", it just mean "consequences".

I'm not sure I follow...

:censored:

I mean, if you go to a club and the bouncer says "No, you're not getting in to party with the others with those rags", then you're not getting in; it's a "cannot go there-consequence" of your choice of apparel.
If you shoot the bouncers head off and go in anyway, then you're in, good job, but for what purpose? The party's over, the club owner is pissed, and the cops will come to collect you momentarily.

Same with every place where people like "you" (your character at that specific moment) have restricted access to; someone might not want you around them due to the harm you did them previously and so he restricts your access, no talking to that guy anymore nor entering his home; that's a "cannot go there-consequence" of your actions.

A gang might not allow you to their turf because - according to your street cred - to them you're a puny little shit who isn't worth pissing on, you lack the cojones hombre. That's a "cannot go there-consequence" for actions you haven't done yet.

A group of hackers might have a nerd-code to not allow you in their "chopshop" because you don't know shit about hacking. That's a "cannot go there-consequence" for not being skilled enough.

Criminal or otherwise forced entry is a thing of it's own, of course...

Things like that.
"Consequences" doesn't mean "cannot go there", it just mean "consequences".
I mean, if you go to a club and the bouncer says "No, you're not getting in to party with the others with those rags", then you're not getting in; it's a "cannot go there-consequence" of your choice of apparel.
If you shoot the bouncers head off and go in anyway, then you're in, good job, but for what purpose? The party's over, the club owner is pissed, and the cops will come to collect you momentarily.

I love these :D
I don't know about cyberpunk - especially with the game taking place mostly in NC, where "there's always someone watching" - but for fantasy/medieval games like Witcher I think it's more intuitive/deep-rooted.

In fantasy games, you can easily navigate the player by pretty much anything - like nature, obstacles(natural, monsters, traps,...), faction restricted areas, character restricted areas(by abilities, power, knowledge, money,...), story,...

Maybe what could help to design the world is to take all the possibilities and make full permutations of them and work with those. E.g. (climbable area, herb, troll) ->
- you can't climb because there's a troll upwards
- troll ate the herb and is sleepy and easily killable
- there's a herb which grows mostly in climbable/higher areas (which can be used to make some potions,...)

I'm not sure I follow...

:censored:

You still "accessed" it, which is what the poll is about, no?

2, 3, 5, and 6. I very rarely play non-“nosy” characters, so in most exploration-friendly games I always leave pretty much no room thoroughly searched, no alley untraversed, no vistas unseen, no forsaken pockets of land unvisited, no reachable door/window untouched, and no wall uninspected...

...well, I may ignore many windows and walls :LOL: Exploration for exploration’s sake can get quite tiresome in games with large maps with either (or both) little content or many invisible walls. In games like, for instance, the Just Cause series, exploration doesn’t work the same way it does in, say, The Elder Scrolls or The Witcher, so my approach is different under those circumstances. E.g. no point in shooting every window in JC2, most won’t even shatter to begin with :smart:

All in the first run if possible, otherwise follow alternative paths in as many subsequent times as needed. Two playthroughs usually do the job.

Top Bottom