Weekly Poll 4/07/19 - Verticality.

+

2077 verticalitynessimovosophy. Upwards mobility means to you?

• Total voters
1, 5, and 8.

I want the choice to reach the upper levels of buildings, but I don't mind using ordinary means. The essential for me is that there's a reason to go up/plenty of things to do once you go upstairs. Admittedly, I'm not crazy about the Assassin's Creed-style parkour anyways. Playing Shadow of Mordor and War really solidified that opinion.

Last edited:
I don't expect a full parkour system as in Dying Light with the option to climb to the roofs of the buildings and leaping from one to another, since mechanic like that would require to redesign the entire city around it, however based on the interviews we can certainly expect an greatly improved version of the system from The Witcher 3, which I think was pretty good for what it was, giving you an ability to reach pretty high places, if you tried hard enough. But what I'm counting on when it comes to improvements, outside of stuff like general fluidity, is it's better integration with gameplay and quest design, like new skills and cyberware (like the one we saw in the gameplay demo, so wall running, double jump and bouncing from walls) will allow you to reach an alternate path toward your goal, gives you an access to some hidden locations or helps you reach a special vantage point.

2, 3, 4, 5 (6 is sorta implied by 5), 7

2, 3, and 4 are all basically extensions of each other with character development in terms of skill and cyberware being given an in-game application.

Both 8 and 9 would require a LOT of work on CDPRs part.

2, 3, 4, 5 (6 is sorta implied by 5), 7

2, 3, and 4 are all basically extensions of each other with character development in terms of skill and cyberware being given an in-game application.

Both 8 and 9 would require a LOT of work on CDPRs part.

You can only pick three things. Ha-ha!

See, this is -why- we must learn to choose.

I like to go upstairs to "visit" the rich people :sneaky:

Also i would love to see deep shelters we can go down or tunnelsystems.

Interesting to see how many different interpretations of this there are.

I don't think that the point of questioning "verticality" means, "Should we be able to go up?" :p

Of course, we'll "go up". Night City is as much "up" as it is "out".

I think the question is about freedom of vertical mobility. Let's take the concept of aerodynes, for example. Say CDPR spends all sorts of time developing engrossing quests, interesting locations, cool characters, etc., all set on the "streets" of NC. Then, they allow the player to fly around in an aerodyne at will. All of that "street-level" work goes completely to waste. It's not sensible for a player to be down there once they have an aerodyne. Why would a bird walk when it can fly? Why would a fish tunnel if it can simply swim? See what happens? The energy of the street-level stuff becomes forced.

Similarly, if the player is freely allowed to use mantis-blades or super-jump abilities to dash up the sides of buildings at will, hop rooftop to rooftop, grapple and fly around, treating Night City like a gigantic jungle-gym, the effect will be two-fold:

1.) The approach to the gameplay becomes relatively shapeless. Players will literally be able to charge around using 6 degrees of freedom, without restriction. Rather than a structured, nicely paced, narratively driven experience...the game will progressively become more and more of a sandbox playground. More of a toy than a game.

2.) One of the primary elements of Night City's allure and mystique -- it's incredible verticality -- becomes quickly common-place and devoid of energy.

Granted, neither of those things is necessarily "bad" in and of themselves, not if that's the goal. There are plenty of games that rely on it, and use it to great effect: Assassin's Creed, Zelda: BotW, Batman, Shadow of Mordor... I'm just not sure it would gel with the type of experience that CP2077 seems poised to create, though. Definitely a less-is-more situation, I think.

5,6, and 7, Enter building through window like Swat team sounds like fun. I dont really mind if theres little bit of Tom Clancy.

... All of this? Don't you think that lacking one or several of these points means that some of the level designers were underperforming too much on a workplace?

Honestly I like the idea of 3-9. Though I have to say I am in the 5, 7, 8 boat most of all. I feel the best part of this would be the idea of setting up sniper nest ambush for some mission. Though I also feel that who a lot of the enemies will play as well.

Hum...

I picked only one thing from that poll . ''You can climb most space if you have the gear or Implant'' ? . Although to me (and I maybe wrong) but that sound like Jumping ? . Not necessarly jumping and crawling on building like Assassin Creed . But just jumping in place :coolstory:honestly , you don't know how many games won't let you do something that small like 'JUMP' .lol

I like how Assassin's creed ossdey, Legend of Zelda breath of the wild and Spider does traversal your can go anywhere, climb anything. For the tallest buildings to the deepest lakes anywhere is possible.

That's what I want I want to go to the top of the tallest buildings doing parkour down the side of the building.

Running into subways and sewers. Climbing into trains and jumping into boats. Entering building and exiting shops.
Post automatically merged:

Imagine the chase sequence running for the cops or chasing someone. Jumping off the building onto moving flying car then going into market places using parkour to traversal.

No getting into vehicles we race down highways, alleys and backroads.

Doing jumps, driving on roads two wheels. We up on the top of the train fighting for our lives like in Spiderman 3.

It ends off in a restaurant eating sushi or dead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom