Weekly Poll 4/20/20 - BUFFS. Improvements. Bonuses!

+

In-game "buffs" I hope to gleefully use are:

• Total voters
A day early! And yes, yes I see the date. "It will only ever happen once blah blah" . Kids today, bah.

Anyhoo. On this 20/20 of weeks, we are pleased to have a Poll. A Poll of...things that improve your character in-game!

I don't mean XP. I mean in-game items. In San Andreas, you could get bigger by working out. In Bloodlines, reading a book would increase your skill. Of course, we are all familiar with gear that boosts you temporarily and even permanently, such as armor and jewelry.

Called "buffs" from years ago and based on the weightlifting idea of becoming "more buff" (wait let me google) which itself was based on polishing yourself. Shutup, not like that. To become MORE BETTER AND SHINY. Why, how pre-Cyberpunk. Shinier = better!

So let us discuss this!

Other polls here: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/collected-weekly-polls-thread.10984601/

Cyberware boosting stats "makes sense", after all that's the whole (well ... fashion ... ) point of augments.
Drugs, yeah, a shot of adrenaline or something to deaden pain so you can function while injured also makes sense.

Stat boosting items/clothing/jewelry (other then fashion and perhaps reputation) is WAY to "fantasy" for Cyberpunk. There's no magic.

6, 8, and 10.

While I don't always follow those self-imposed "rules" that 6 and 8 represent, it is definitely something I like to do.
I never aim to be the most powerful (OP) I can get, except temporarily as a joke just to see how crazy it is.

I will reject item X that boosts my main skill by 10000 if item X looks ridiculous or otherwise doesn't fit at all.
If I don't use Y then I also don't need buffs to Y. If I use Y I still don't necessarily need ALL possible buffs to Y.

Regarding 8, I'm more than willing to reject buffs as quest rewards if they'd be useless to me and there is an alternative (usually money). Even if the alternative is no reward, because a nothing is just as useful as a useless buff. Plus it can come with the satisfaction of staying in character/sticking to the chosen playstyle despite a temptation to not to.

I don't like the idea of combat drugs even though they'd no doubt be essentially the same thing as Fortify [skill/attribute] potions in Skyrim, or several of the potions in Witcher 3. It's simply due to the term 'drug', and yes I know it's a stupid reason.

Cyberware I plan to avoid as much as I can, unless there's something super cool available.

(10 was there so I chose it. Simple as that.)

3, 4, 6, 8 ... thought about 1 too ... but mucho is probably a little stronger than what I had in mind.

To this question : wait & see, otherwise I'm going to build a potential hype on features that don't exist.
I still don't know much about crafting, hacking skills and gameplay, how do we obtain cyberware (stealing from enemies, or buy only). Too many variables, man.

But Jackie's dead. R.I.P. in piece choombata. (hope he's alive though)

Last edited:
I chose #10.

I don't give a flip about the chase for stats, and hope that it isn't necessary for the game. If it is, then I hope that natural progression through the game gives whatever you need, so I can pretend that it wasn't necessary. Eventually a mod and/or editor will come out for the PC version that makes the stats chase irrelevant. Thankfully.

Also, it's pretty exciting that this is week 20/20. Looking forward to the game next week. Oh, wait ....

1, 4, 6, 8

As much as I like exploring games and seeing as much as it can possibly offer, I would still like to stick to some in-character choices and motivations during at least one of my playthroughs. Definitely, I will not (or don't plan to as of now) get all the quests that I can, I'll consider my character's background and such before doing stuff in Cyberpunk, but at the same time, I'm kinda tempted to put some curiosity and hoarding into my first V's behavior. After all, there's a chance a huge chunk of rare/unique/epic/legendary stuff can be sold or exchanged or otherwise used for purpose beside enhancing your body, right?

3, 4, 6, 8, and 9... yep, that many :oops:

4 and 8: Nothing more satisfying in a RPG than working hard enough and being a bit creative to get the more rare rewards... as long as they fit my character’s moral code. In my first run of The Witcher 3 I managed to make all the decoctions except for the doppler and succubus ones simply because my Geralt had a code... not the most strict one, but still a code. My V’s moral compass might work in a similar-ish fashion but, obviously, adapted to Night City’s circumstances.
6: Ever since Oblivion I learned that for me it’s not worth it being a bit better at something at the cost of looking like a mental patient on the run :LOL:
3 and 9: If Cyberpunk 2077’s equivalents of crafting and alchemy allow it, of course I’ll try to get some stat boosters through this method. Otherwise, I’ll get them through more conventional means but without going into full junkie mode. “Crack is wack” :smart:

2 and 5

To be honest, I'm kinda meh (till they show me moar) about Boost from clothes. I'm scared it be all ''You gotta wear tis cose Job is asking for it, or cose only tis fugly jacket get tis boost!' . The charm and fun behind clothes, is wearing WHAT you want..not what the game want .

So yeah, I'm gonna rely on cyber for that....and nothing else...

3 and 6. If there isn't a layered armor option in the game, hopefully someone will make a transmog mod like in Monster Hunter World.

I think I'll do a high-cyber and a low-cyber runs, just for the heck of it.

Also, Jackie is alive. And even if he isn't, I'll mod him back in. So there. :cool:

The whole selling point of cyberware is that they enhance your capabilities to superhuman level so lets go with that. And gear because it's hard to say no to a bolter in the face.

4,5 & 7

Permanent stats boosted with the best gear
Unless my gear decays and I cannot repair it
Post automatically merged:

how do we obtain cyberware (stealing from enemies, or buy only).

I remember hearing early on there would be no cyberware removal from dead enemies.
Would not mind seeing a high level grease monkey option to remove cyberware though :ok:

Thing with stat boosting drugs/cyberware/quest rewards is that it's too hard to balance them and enable different character builds. Why bother having high Body Type and Reflex if you can just boost them with cyberware and drugs? Ironically, the lack of "humanity" severely limits balancing possibilities of cyberware.

Ironically, the lack of "humanity" severely limits balancing possibilities of cyberware.
The "problem" is CDPR would have a devil of a time implementing CP2020's "Humanity" system.

NOT because it would be difficult to implement, but because so many players would ignore the system then complain (LOUDLY) that they can't control their character because they're some sort of cyberpsycho. What do you mean I can't play the character I want?

The "problem" is CDPR would have a devil of a time implementing CP2020's "Humanity" system.

NOT because it would be difficult to implement, but because so many players would ignore the system then complain (LOUDLY) that they can't control their character because they're some sort of cyberpsycho. What do you mean I can't play the character I want?

Basically this. It would "inhibit fun" or something. I get it - no one likes to lose their character or force a reload because they threw in that cybereye. Well, tough. Should have thought of that before only putting 4 points into Empathy.

However, it's worth noting that few PCs ever go 'psycho. In-game, when your character of 6 months is at risk, players get reaaalll conservative about those risks.

@metalmaniac21 The reason you get high stats is so you can add those to the gear. Dunno if that's how 2077 will work, but a high REF character who then gets Adrenal Boost and Kerenzikov and Boostmaster? Even scarier.

How many people fell into frenzy and flooded forums with complaints about VTM:Bloodlines character falling into frenzy with low humanity? None if I remember correctly. And there was no trade-off for having low humanity in that game.
No. There won't much whine I guarantee you that. With some convincing dramatic in-game scenes portraying the loss of humanity and proper tutorial, they shouldn't, kept to a minimum.
@metalmaniac21 The reason you get high stats is so you can add those to the gear. Dunno if that's how 2077 will work, but a high REF character who then gets Adrenal Boost and Kerenzikov and Boostmaster? Even scarier.
Video games have problems with portraying such amazing effects of overstatted character becoming awesome killing machine, balancing again. Game's too easy - yawn, no difference between 10 and 14 REF. Game's too hard - complaining time.

How many people fell into frenzy and flooded forums with complaints about VTM:Bloodlines character falling into frenzy with low humanity? None if I remember correctly. And there was no trade-off for having low humanity in that game.
No. There won't much whine I guarantee you that. With some convincing dramatic in-game scenes portraying the loss of humanity and proper tutorial, they shouldn't, kept to a minimum.

Bloodlines was a niche product on arrival, completely sidelined by HL 2. 2077 in this equation is HL 2. It is -the- product.

Yes, some people complained. They did not like losing control of their character. Same reason people -hate- stunlocks in games, where you lose control of your character while an NPC kills you.

People didn't even like the Witcher 1 controls as they felt it was too "indirect" control of your attacks.

There would be complaints galore if people watched their character go cyberpsycho and get killed, especially if it was done a la Bloodlines where it took 10 or 20 seconds.

Oh and Frenzy in BL was short duration. Cyberpsychosis is typically permanent - and ends with death.

That's just a reload, so why put it in? Same reason BL didn't let you go to 0 Humanity. Because it's game over.

Basically this. It would "inhibit fun" or something. I get it - no one likes to lose their character or force a reload because they threw in that cybereye. Well, tough. Should have thought of that before only putting 4 points into Empathy.
Shouldn't this actually make defensive/attrition playstyle or stealth viable alternative?
Bloodlines was a niche product on arrival, completely sidelined by HL 2. 2077 in this equation is HL 2. It is -the- product.
Probably not true since 2009 or 2010, IIRC it was the time when unofficial patches made the game playable and enjoyable for a large crowd of goth chicks and people looking for something to play before Mass Effect 2 hits the shelves.

Shouldn't this actually make defensive/attrition playstyle or stealth viable alternative?

Yeah. It should. Low cyberware builds in 2020 were vital for certain Roles - but Netrunner, Solo and Techie weren't among them.

Stealth as a playstyle is really very much a videogame thing - it's not a huge part of the PnP or real-life combat outside of the opening few seconds. Just too much can go wrong. No one is crouch running along between 20 guards - that's crazy. Better to sneak into place and shoot them as fast as you can with suppressors or even better, an airstrike. One life means you stay out of vents. Oh and real-life detection radius is a lot better than the hilarious 8 feet of videogames.

Taking Humanity out will necessitate other balancing choices - I believe they are using a limited-amount of cyberware to force players what to take and what to give up.

Top Bottom