Weekly Poll - 5/13/2019 - User Interface Options

+

How do you want CP2077's user interface to work?

• Total voters
Something that we spend a lot of time with in RPGs, but that often feels like an afterthought is User Interfaces. A badly designed UI can make an otherwise great game feel like a nightmare 10% of the time.

Here is what Cyberpunk's UI looked like in the demo:

Notice at the top that there are seven different sub-menus: (1) Codex; (2) Quests; (3) Bio Monitor; (4) Inventory; (5) GPS; (6) Crafting; (7) Social

So, with that in mind, how do you want the UI to function in Cyberpunk 2077?

Witcher 3's UI was a bit of a nightmare to navigate through, especially on console. I just want an interface without too many menus and simple navigation. The cursor used to select items in the demo was a huge improvement from using both analog sticks to switch between sections. Destiny also did this, and it made weaving through many options/buttons easy.

I think their idea to heavily limit slots for carrying things is good. Parts of the UI should trigger pause, but some things shouldn't. I think it's good to blur the line a little bit between UI and gameplay, like what they did so organically as far as the scanner. I'd like to see things feel a little more cyberpunk, but then again, less is more. I think the UI can capture the feeling of being in the world, and it should, even adding to that feeling, shaping it.

I chose 3, 7 & 10.

3, because, well, it's a personal preference, BUT, I'm also of the opinion inventory pause, slow, or no pause should be options available for selection in the main menue game options list.

7. because I want to know all the thingses, but, I'm all for options like giving the character a limited, practical UI for when the character is out and about, and then, a deeper, more involved UI for when they're back at home.
For instance, your character might be able to do some limited weapons crafting things while on the go, out and about, like adding a silencer to a gun, laser pointer, scope, things like that, but, more involved things would require your character to visit a workbench and/or be at home.

10. For some reason I seem to always have issues with games that put an alert notification on a tab every time you pick up a new bit of info, or any item, It's understandable with some things, but, it's annoying as all get out when you're going into the menue just to clear the alerts, and even when you clear an alert it comes back when you encounter and/or pick up the very same thing you already know about. Ugh.
It might be nice if there were levels of importance to menu alerts, and an option in the main game options menu to define the degree to which you want to be alerted with little exclamation marks next to things in your inventory/journal etc.
That way, we could select to be alerted about all the things, not at all, or, somewhere in between like for quest specific-related journal entries, and only legendary gear/loot/items ... or something like that.
All the other things will still get added to your inventory/journal, etc,, just not with an attention-whoring exclamation mark nagging your menu about the 5000th generic pistol you've picked up.
This just really annoyed me in The Witcher 3 to no end with all the alchemy and crafting ingredients, and I'm like yeah, I know I know I know I picked up MORE crafting item xyz. I don't need an exclamation mark to tell me I now have 19 of item xyz instead of 7 xyz. *sigh*
I dunno. Maybe I'm remembering things incorrectly, and that's some other game, but, it's a bit of a peeve with me.

:)

3, 7, 9. As much information as possible (looks like they nailed that with all the inventory sub-menus and stats, but not so much in the game itself), unique theme, and it should pause the game.

I know I'm possibly (?) in the minority on these forums in this regard, but I actually like high information density. I like minimaps, hate compasses. I like lots of stuff on my UI (as long as most/all is toggle-able for those who don't), I like having as much information as I possibly can at all times in order to make decisions.

Light level indicators, crouch/stand indicators, ammo counters, gear durability icon (if such a system exists), fire rate icon (for weapons that support auto/semi-auto/etc.), the ability to, say, pin a recipe and have the ingredients I need for it to stay on screen, an optional "hotbar" for PC games where I can bind certain equipment, consumables, etc. to various number keys and see them at-a-glance...

For me, the ultimate priority in a video game is not "immersion at all costs," so I was deeply disappointed to see CDPR went with a classic compass instead of a minimap. Now, I'm just a bit sad.

Would you say an augmented eye UI is part of the world? :think:

I thought that was pretty cool, enhanced UI functionality based on applied cybernetics.
This is a really neat idea, definitely. Something I hope they expand upon further. Maybe a minimap if you get the appropriate cyberware?

I can dream...

I think their idea to heavily limit slots for carrying things is good.
I hope it's like that but I don't think we have enough informations to assume it.

2 and 7 for me

2: immersion, I mean, we have the cyberware that can justify pretty much everything in the game, use it!
7: we need info, in particular with CP2020 as background. too much stuff to keep in mind/know.

pause or not, I don't know. I love the no-pause in games like TLOU where using the menu to cure or craft is part of the strategical choices, in RPG probably the menu will have too many options, so maybe it's better to pause the game.

Last edited:
Heh,
while I like the visuals, I don't like the design too much.
It looks kinda generic, non-creative and hard to navigate in.

What I would suggest here is to have "quick-gameplay-menus", which would serve for minor changes/actions - like changing quest to follow, switching carried weapons, using consumable items,...
These would be some sort of quick half-transparent scrolling/rotating/whatever menus, which could maybe just slow the game a bit when active.

Also, there could be some extensions, like healthbar could actually show hitpoints inside it, there could be some pop-up ala "damaged witcher armor" - the red figure displaying the bad condition of items, etc...

Then there could be an actual character sheet. It would serve for major changes, like equipping items from stash,... Maybe it could be opened during the gameplay(when not in combat), but it would be considered player's fault if he just stands in the place and gets killed or whatever.
This could look kinda like the "simulated meditation" mods from Witcher 3 - let's say it would take like 3/4 of the screen, showing V on the remaining vertical space - where you basically watch everything move around you.

Dunno about Limiting how much we can carry in Inventory . Usually , they do that for reasons..to have the inventory look sexy , realistic crap and what not .

But damn , if you do that then give me a Mass effect SCRAP Stuff as well . Cose there is nothing I hate then having to stop and run to a merchant to sell guns..so I can pick a new ones .

Turn it into Medigel! Turn everything into Medigel! :ROFLMAO:

Nice one. I often forget about this:

3, 8, and 10.

Definitely don't enjoy getting jumped by random mobs when I'm trying to sift through my cabbages to find that item I know is in there somewhere.

Also don't care for UIs that are loaded with stats and options that clutter up the screen and are hardly ever used.

Like Monster Hunter World's menu system, :rolleyes: :
Why do I need to hit a button, use directional input to sift through a text menu, then hit another button...to open up my inventory?

Why is it necessary for me hold a button, open up a text menu, hit another button to open up a secondary text list, then use directionals to cycle between pages, and scroll down to one particular selection...to issue a gesture like pointing at something...?
A good UI is like a good waiter. Almost invisible, and they already know what you're likely to ask for.

That brings me to 10:

Let the in-game graphics and sound be the feedback (as much as is humanly possible). Instead of all the numbers flashing and pop-up messages and hovering icons and blinking indicators and bright red highlights on enemies...keep things clear via the action and visuals of the moment.

Like a "critical hit". I don't need bright yellow, flashing text reading "CRITICAL HIT" to block my view of the action to let me know it happened. It would be far better for the game to show a different sort of bloodspray, play a unique audio cue like a bullet ripping through something (instead of the normal "plat" of impact). Have the enemy lurch violently, holler or grunt in pain, spit a curse...

Instead of a glowing highlight around an object I can pick up (when I hover the mouse over it), just have it twitch or lift a little. Maybe play a very soft audio cue like a "tink" if I hover over a can of pop, or a "shuffle" if I put the cursor on a piece of clothing, or a slight "beep" if I hover over an electronic item.

In other words, nothing that "overlays" the environment. Icons and highlights and stuff can be saved for actively using cybergear. (Like navigational markers. I hit a key, they overlay for a second, then fade out.) Players can then pay attention to the actual world and environments...not health bars and icons and blinking, mini-map prompts.

2, 6 and 7.

2 just because it’d look pretty cool, like in Dead Space. 6 and 7 because I’m a sucker for menus with lots of entries to dig through if I want to learn more about any given thing.

Wish I could pick 5 and 8 as well, though. Info-filled UIs and neatly designed UIs don’t have to exclude each other.

I think their idea to heavily limit slots for carrying things is good. Parts of the UI should trigger pause, but some things shouldn't. I think it's good to blur the line a little bit between UI and gameplay, like what they did so organically as far as the scanner. I'd like to see things feel a little more cyberpunk, but then again, less is more. I think the UI can capture the feeling of being in the world, and it should, even adding to that feeling, shaping it.
Where did you get the idea they are limiting slots? you can clearly see a "backpack" sub menu above the gun where there's an actual inventory not an equip screen.

2 & 7

This is one of the few times (Fallout being another) the UI can "be part of the game".

Well, the "in-universe version" could be fully virtual, since V will have augments to begin with afaik. Therefore practically any kind of UI could be interpreted to be in-universe.

Would you say an augmented eye UI is part of the world? :think:

I thought that was pretty cool, enhanced UI functionality based on applied cybernetics.

Perhaps you could buy and download a different looking UI from an in-universe shop... Kind of like buying clothes.

No to diegetic UI, which likely means more screens to flip through.

Use all the screen real estate to convey info. None of The Witcher games do this very well.

Grid inventory------------------------------->list inventory.

I really want to see all ... yes ALL ... UI elements movable, resizable, and with an on/off toggle.

Let me put the UI elements I want where I want them and the size I feel is appropriate. How they look is far less important then the ability to put them where I want them.

Top Bottom