Weekly Poll 6/23/19 - Let's Talk About Jackie

+

Jackie?

• Total voters
Heartwarming, yes, but in my opinion not very intriguing. It doesn't leave the audience thinking, on the contrary even. For me, happy ends often are very forgettable, because they just show that everything is fine, the villains are defeated, the plot is resolved, the hero gets the woman, AND the money, and/or the fame, and that's about it. There's rarely anything to think about, rarely a deeper meaning, aside from "Defeat evil and you get the woman/money/fame...". It's like disposable products, you use them, you throw them away. Just look at superhero movies, it's more or less just happy ending, after happy ending, after happy ending,...

And don't get me wrong, I am not saying that happy ends are bad, after all, no one could imagine Star Wars without the rebels defeating the empire, or without Luke saving his father from the dark side. No, the question is: "Does it fit?" In Star Wars the happy end fits.
In Blade Runner it wouldn't fit, and could even destroy the entire movie. I would even say, that Blade Runner threw happy ends from the table right from the beginning with its heavy influences from Film Noir. It left people thinking, so much so that they came up with the theory, that Deckard could have been a synth himself.

And this years Cyberpunk 2077 trailer, kinda mobbed the floor with happy ends, by showing us the (maybe avoidable?) death of Jackie. Sure, there might be a way to keep Jackie alive, but I can very well imagine, that there will always be something else leading away from true happy ends.

Heck, keeping Jackie alive, might very well lead to Jackie becoming an enemy, after all, we don't know what the narrative will have in store for us ;)
Very deep and wise post. I agree completely, but I still hope the option is always there, just subtly hidden, that if V fights hard enough, Thinks smart enough, and just tries hard enough that V can be blessed with a good result.

Very deep and wise post. I agree completely, but I still hope the option is always there, just subtly hidden, that if V fights hard enough, Thinks smart enough, and just tries hard enough that V can be blessed with a good result.
Thank you for the compliment :)

You know, I just noticed something. Remember last years gameplay demo, as V and Jackie are at a gangs hideout and someone orders them to sit down? Jackie refused and the gang got angry. Then the player, via dialog option, urged Jackie to sit and cooled down the situation. Well, Jackie obviously provoked the gangers.

Now think of this years trailer, just seconds before Jackie dies he said: "I am sorry..." Sorry for what?
Maybe sorry for provoking the guys who shot him?
I could imagine that the player might has to keep an eye on Jackie, especially when attempting to talk through missions, basically keeping him from provoking others so that hell doesn't break loose...

Looked like one of you was talking to yourself for a while.

To ensure nobody makes this mistake again, I made a very high-quality avatar for you, @fridgeband. You're welcome.
1562267899662.png

Last edited:
Thank you for the compliment :)

You know, I just noticed something. Remember last years gameplay demo, as V and Jackie are at a gangs hideout and someone orders them to sit down? Jackie refused and the gang got angry. Then the player, via dialog option, urged Jackie to sit and cooled down the situation. Well, Jackie obviously provoked the gangers.

Now think of this years trailer, just seconds before Jackie dies he said: "I am sorry..." Sorry for what?
Maybe sorry for provoking the guys who shot him?
I could imagine that the player might has to keep an eye on Jackie, especially when attempting to talk through missions, basically keeping him from provoking others so that hell doesn't break loose...
I think you just blew my mind. I originally took it as "I'm sorry I'm dying and leaving you behind for now, see you in heaven buddy" but your take on it makes sense too. Maybe that "I'm Sorrrryyyy" means both...?
Post automatically merged:

Looked like one of you was talking to yourself for a while.

To ensure nobody makes this mistake again, I made a very high-quality avatar for you, @fridgeband. You're welcome.
Oh my... Uhhh... Well thank you! you know? I hate to sound like I'm rejecting your friendly gesture but it's not my style to be completely honest. I do think it's very creative. I rather be honest with you now than for you to just wonder forever why I didn't use it as my profile picture. I'm just very used to reading user names, but thanks it was very nice of you :)

I think you just blew my mind. I originally took it as "I'm sorry I'm dying and leaving you behind for now, see you in heaven buddy" but your take on it makes sense too. Maybe that "I'm Sorrrryyyy" means both...?
Post automatically merged:

Oh my... Uhhh... Well thank you! you know? I hate to sound like I'm rejecting your friendly gesture but it's not my style to be completely honest. I do think it's very creative. I rather be honest with you now than for you to just wonder forever why I didn't use it as my profile picture. I'm just very used to reading user names, but thanks it was very nice of you :)
HAHA. It was intended as a joke, took me maybe 5 minutes. I didn't expect or want you to actually use it. I was trolling you a bit for the username. :p

HAHA. It was intended as a joke, took me maybe 5 minutes. I didn't expect or want you to actually use it. I was trolling you a bit for the username. :p
:oops:Oh, okay. I didn't want to say I appreciated it as a funny joke, because if I said that and it was not a joke you might have been sad and I didn't want to make you feel sad. I'm glad it was just a joke, because now it's a relief and I can laugh about it with you, together. :)(y)

I really hope we can avoid his death. This guy already has the much needed "bro" vibe in this dark city!
I know right? I need him as a bro. Even if I'm playing as Female V or Female V with a special upgrade, I still need a bro. I hope that even if I choose corporate path in Cyberpunk2077, that I can still have him as a bro anyway. Please CDPR! :D

I know right? I need him as a bro. Even if I'm playing as Female V or Female V with a special upgrade, I still need a bro. I hope that even if I choose corporate path in Cyberpunk2077, that I can still have him as a bro anyway. Please CDPR! :D

Well, why would "having a bro" implies for the bro to be Jackie. Why not someone cool and who doesn't need to be teached how to talk?

Well, why would "having a bro" implies for the bro to be Jackie. Why not someone cool and who doesn't need to be teached how to talk?
Well, I like Jackie as a bro, because Jackie is a good bro to V in the 48 minute gameplay we see, and the trailer when Jackie dies :cry:
He's just a really good friend and I like him as a bro. That doesn't mean that there are not lots of other very good characters in the game that I will also like. But all I'm sure of so far is:
1. Keanu Reeves = bro
2. Jackie = bro
Also, why come you think Jackie needs to learn how to talk? what do you mean? :shrug:

Don't call a cold blood killer "Jaina" unless you want to die.
I you don't trust me, go in South America and try calling one of the Mara women "Jaina", then tell me what happened to you.
But I think I will have to use a ouija board to hear your story.
But they're good friends and work as a team. Don't good friends always give each other somewhat insulting yet still endearing nicknames? Like a sister tells her brother "Hey doofus get over here!" but they're best buddies? :shrug:

But in the 48 minute gameplay, V didn't seem bothered when Jackie called her that.

Well, V though aren't on the screen to be read...

Like you say, V would have killed Jackie right?

Well, my V will probably rip Jackie's spine if I'm allowed to, if not I will just make everything possible to get Jackie die a painful death.

...Or maybe I won't if CDprojekt is sensible enough to put an option that even an already weakened Bioware put in Mass Effect 3: James Vega asking Shepard if he can give him a nickname.

Well, V though aren't on the screen to be read...
Well, my V will probably rip Jackie's spine if I'm allowed to, if not I will just make everything possible to get Jackie die a painful death.
...Or maybe I won't if CDprojekt is sensible enough to put an option that even an already weakened Bioware put in Mass Effect 3: James Vega asking Shepard if he can give him a nickname.
KakitaTatsumaru... :sad:Who hurt you...? *hug* :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I like Jackie as a bro, because Jackie is a good bro to V in the 48 minute gameplay we see, and the trailer when Jackie dies :cry:
He's just a really good friend and I like him as a bro. That doesn't mean that there are not lots of other very good characters in the game that I will also like. But all I'm sure of so far is:
1. Keanu Reeves = bro
2. Jackie = bro
Also, why come you think Jackie needs to learn how to talk? what do you mean? :shrug:

Johnny Silverhand is not gunna be a bro to me because I'm gunna play as a corpo and he's gunna hate my V (but now I'm torn because I heard there are 3 different starting points depending on what you choose and I want to start off with Jackie :sad:)

Jackie's English is perfect and I love how his switches between the two different languages. I'm gunna play as a male so he's gunna call him "esé" and then hopefully novio don't the track :sneaky:

ffffff.jpg

Top Bottom