Weekly Poll - 7/26/2019 - Music

+

What music genres are you most looking forward to hearing in Cyberpunk 2077?

• Total voters
That rap song at the beginning of the cinematic trailer was really dope. I'm probably looking forward to that type of music the most when the game comes out.

I had to pick Rap/Hip Hop because I feel like the culture of this genre and what it talks about matches so much of this game's culture. Rappers talk about
Style: money, sex, drugs, jewelry, fast cars, fashion, and partying. And Substance: relationships, guns, growing up poor in the hood, having to do gangsta shit to survive and come up in the world, putting your middle finger up to the man, the love of the artform, and taking over the city.
Also I feel like rap is one of the most likely genres to collaborate with other genres, which makes me think of how cool it would be to some kinda collab between Johnny Silverhand and some kinda futuristic Eminem, Kendrick Lamar or Kanye (who btw would fit this world perfectly.)

I also picked Jazz because it would be dope to have that blade runner vibe from time to time and I'm a space cowboy thru and thru;)

And my last pick was Blues (as in R&B) cause whether I have someone over my apartment for a bit of fun (or something more serious) or I'm enjoying a wake and bake, abit of Marvin Gaye/Al Green type of sound would set the mood just right.

Besides, we already know there's gonna be some dope Rock'n'Roll, Electronic, and techno because those always fit so well with this type of medium. So more interested in seeing CDPR's take on the evolution of these other genres.

P.S. The fact that there's an area called Santo Domingo has me ecstatic as my people are from there (the real place obviously lol) and wanting to hear some merengue, bachata, and salsa to represent Dominicans which I hope are in the game. That would be dope!!

That rap song at the beginning of the cinematic trailer was really dope. I'm probably looking forward to that type of music the most when the game comes out.

They should most definitely use Rap, especially Slowtempo Rap, it just slows things down and gives it awesome twist.

I chose Classical... this is the only genre that will never age for centuries.

For the rest, then... I think it's obvious that CP77 needs to set up its own genres : like previous people said, if we only listen at a rap song, or metal song (worse if they're very popular music), it will just feel wrong.

Mix world music with techno, mix jazz with industrial, find unpopular sounds, mix cherry with vinegar, try hard to make it a brand new drink...

Think about "What could possibly be more f** up than today's gang music ?" Because according to the evolution of music, what was considered as bad boy's music, or "devil" music yesterday, is seen today as "sweet" or "fun" music (or just music for retirement homes). Think about today's music will most probably become TOMORROW's retirement home's music.

Grandmas and grandpas are going to enjoy their time with Die Antwoord and Hard bass. Ok maybe I'm exaggerating a bit.

I don't know how most of these genres will sound like in CP2077 so I can't really decide. But safe bet would be Rap or Hip Hop, Electro and probably Pop.

But I would be more interested in 2018 version of Chippin' In :D or at least the genre. I would say punk rock.

Last edited:
Classic trance, Goa/psy, Synthwave, Classical, Metal , pagan folk.
Even if they don't implement it I will turn off their music and play my favorite music anyhow, but would be great if they hear their clients first to avoid that.

Oh, its been done before?

I think idea is quite fun, games what are almost like music videos, or then the game sends you inside a music video etc.

Btw, I would be very disappointed if they did GTA or Fallout.

Problem and why that doesn't work, is that music is extremely subjective. The thing that you enjoy, isn't the same as what other people enjoy.

ps. Rock is missing from the options.

Yeah it's such a generic term these days it's not really informative as an option, so I didn't include it. "Rock" covers everything from Little Richard to Queen to Metallica to Radiohead. None of those bands sound alike, but they all fall under various types of rock music.

Metal and Punk are both sub genres of Rock, and more descriptive as far as sound goes.

Problem and why that doesn't work, is that music is extremely subjective. The thing that you enjoy, isn't the same as what other people enjoy.

In Cyberpunk World bands and music are part of the lore, we just gotta listen/take what devs gives to us. One could say same thing about stories, they are very subjective, some people might enjoy some stories more what others might not, why this same cant apply to music and bands? I find it kinda funny, that when it comes down to stories, we all are like "CDPR is the best OMG, this the best story ever" when it comes down to music we are like "I hate this, this isnt my music" I hope they try to tell us something via music and bands in this game.

Last edited:
In Cyberpunk World bands and music are part of the lore, we just gotta listen/take what devs gives to us. One could say same thing about stories, they are very subjective, some people might enjoy some stories more what others might not, why this same cant apply to music and bands?

Because music is one of the most important atmospheric tools, and it can just as well kill the atmosphere as elevate it.

Because music is so subjective, any attempt to choose a music that would suit everyone is doomed to fail. Because of this, 99% of music in games is generic phone queue music that avoids irritating people as much as possible. 99% of the time I will either not notice the music is there or mute it entirely because silence is better, or I listen to my own music. There is no chance that this path that CDPR has taken will succeed, at least if they hire talentless trash like refused. Music is not going to become any better by simply hyping it.

1.) punk, 5.) synthwave, 7.) jazz. I like all the options, but I expect these three genres to be the styles they'd use during the game's most intense junctures (as far as intensity goes, honorable mention to metal). I can imagine everything else playing during 'in-between' moments like your downtime or as the most distinguishing sound in the district.

Voted none :p

I'll be turning down the music and play mah own !

What if the music is tied to lore and story? That wouldnt surprise me actually, bands are big part of the lore, theres even own role called Rockerboy, it would make only sense if its tied to lore/story. Rockerboys battle against Corps as far I know with music.

"Sometimes, this message isn't something the Corporations or Government wants to hear. Sometimes what you say is going to get right in the faces of the powerful people who really run this world. But you don't care, because as a Rockerboy, you know it's your place to challenge. Whether in straight-out protest songs that tell it like it is or just by playing kick-ass rock'n'roll to get the people away from TV sets and into the Streets. You have a proud history as a Rockerboy - Dylan, Springsteen, Who, Elvis, the Stones - the legions of hardrock heroes who told the truth with screaming guitars and gut-honest lyrics. "

Yeah, they are big part of the role. You are gonna miss a lot if you dont listen music. Its so cool actually if music is part of story-telling, I dont know any game what has done that.
Post automatically merged:

Oh damn, looks like Bastion has used music as story-telling tool… But none of the big companies.

Last edited:
What if the music is tied to lore and story? That wouldnt surprise me actually, bands are big part of the lore, theres even own role called Rockerboy, it would make only sense if its tied to lore/story. Rockerboys battle against Corps as far I know with music.

"Sometimes, this message isn't something the Corporations or Government wants to hear. Sometimes what you say is going to get right in the faces of the powerful people who really run this world. But you don't care, because as a Rockerboy, you know it's your place to challenge. Whether in straight-out protest songs that tell it like it is or just by playing kick-ass rock'n'roll to get the people away from TV sets and into the Streets. You have a proud history as a Rockerboy - Dylan, Springsteen, Who, Elvis, the Stones - the legions of hardrock heroes who told the truth with screaming guitars and gut-honest lyrics. "

Yeah, they are big part of the role. You are gonna miss a lot if you dont listen music. Its so cool actually if music is part of story-telling, I dont know any game what has done that.
Post automatically merged:

Oh damn, looks like Bastion has used music as story-telling tool… But none of the big companies.

What if it is ? I will eventually listen to the music within the game . But for that 1st run, I know what I wanna hear , and its the Opening of Ghost in the shell :p

Also you are assuming I care or know the lore of cyberpunk . I never played the books, I come from the world cyberpunk from Shadowrun ;)

Well who cares? If Refused is what they go to, I can guarantee right now I will be a Johnny SIlverhand-hater.

Besides such concept is stupid. Music can't be "part of a story", musicians might be. Music is for instilling emotions and choosing the right kind is extremely important tool for storytelling.

Well who cares? If Refused is what they go to, I can guarantee right now I will be a Johnny SIlverhand-hater.

Besides such concept is stupid. Music can't be "part of a story", musicians might be. Music is for instilling emotions and choosing the right kind is extremely important tool for storytelling.

Why so much hate. I bet kids these days actually learn more about the lore/story if you give them via music. One good song and they might remember its their whole life.

Hmmm but you need real artists to make the music that's in your game, right ? If you remember the 2018 video, they said that they're hiring some real-life artists to make music like they were bands from the future. So I believe Refused is one of them, and they might playing Silverhand's music, well, good to them.

I think that it's better to make original content from scratch rather than using existing songs and remakes that make the overall experience breaking the 4th wall (in the context of designing an original world). You would really get angered if you heard 2000-2020's pop songs in that game, wouldn't you. The alternative is hiring people to interpret original music in the name of a fictional band... who else is gonna do the job ?

Top Bottom