Weird glitter-like effect with Ray Tracing turned on, as seen on Vik's face and the pipes. (RTX 3070)

+
https://streamable.com/ef0ijz

Is this a current bug, a ray tracing issue, or something wrong on my end?
Any insight would be much appreciated.
Implementation - The game's RT and Exposure system have antagonized each other for while now. It's why eyes glow when you're in a car or the volume fog blooms when loading in or exiting the map screen.

I know they've changed settings for diffuse lighting range from 1.3. This allows for near millimeter diffuse/ao accuracy, but it's creating shimmering artifacts in certain scenes. I first noticed it on Rogue during the Johnny flashback in the Helo. You can see it on NPCs in the open world when the camera over exposes.

I've also noticed that when I'm in a vehicle and I'm in shadow, the interior takes on these metallic qualities. Some artifacts are going to happen until the power to solve lighting faster is resolved, but these are new issues. I would guess the face thing has to do with the number of shaders vs resolution X exposure. RT can't figure out how glossy/rough the surface is so it's stuck continually solving the light values.

Implementation - The game's RT and Exposure system have antagonized each other for while now. It's why eyes glow when you're in a car or the volume fog blooms when loading in or exiting the map screen.

I know they've changed settings for diffuse lighting range from 1.3. This allows for near millimeter diffuse/ao accuracy, but it's creating shimmering artifacts in certain scenes. I first noticed it on Rogue during the Johnny flashback in the Helo. You can see it on NPCs in the open world when the camera over exposes.

I've also noticed that when I'm in a vehicle and I'm in shadow, the interior takes on these metallic qualities. Some artifacts are going to happen until the power to solve lighting faster is resolved, but these are new issues. I would guess the face thing has to do with the number of shaders vs resolution X exposure. RT can't figure out how glossy/rough the surface is so it's stuck continually solving the light values.
Ah ok, yeah I've noticed the eye glow and volume fog bloom. Are these things that can be fixed with updates?
Post automatically merged:

You mean on Vik face ?
Yeah on Vik's face, and when I tun around to look at those pipes.

Yeah on Vik's face, and when I tun around to look at those pipes.
Ok, weird :(
It's so obvious that if this is the case for everyone, I imagine there would be many posts/threads about that.
I would leave other members with better knowledge to give detailed solutions/infos. But anyway, you can try the different steps offered by the support at first. And if nothing changes, submit a ticket to the support for help (the sooner the better) > "Contact Us" button.

Its noisy ray traced local light/emissives in patch 1.5's reworked RT lighting.

Video example below. I'm spawning 2 light sources via AMM to demonstrate this, a directional spot light and an emissive light (an umbrella with a neon rim, although any neon light emitting prop like signage will also show this effect).

It occurs only when RT Lighting is on, although the noise is a bit less at Psycho. With RT Lighting off, emissives do not illuminate skin.

If you play around with CET console commands, you can play with the ray tracer denoiser with the following commands:

GameOptions.SetFloat("RayTracing/NRD", "DiffuseDenoisingRadius", 60.000000)
GameOptions.SetInt("RayTracing/NRD", "DiffuseMaxAccumulatedFrameNum", 15)
GameOptions.SetFloat("RayTracing/NRD", "DiffuseMaxAdaptiveRadiusScale", 5.000000)

These are the default values.

Example images:

DiffuseMaxAdaptiveRadiusScale = 5.000000

1648682854685.png

DiffuseMaxAdaptiveRadiusScale = 0.000000
1648682924504.png

Ray tracing local lights at low ray counts for real time rendering is very noisy and playing around with the denoiser will not reduce that noise, but you can do fiddle with the radial blur/accumulation to make it less distracting. It will affect the diffuse/specular component of all reflections however. Anything ray traced in this game needs a tonne of denoising for the image to be stable.

Last edited:
Its an abberation with patch 1.5's reworked RT lighting.

It happens on surfaces with certain types of materials (most notably skin) when illuminated by emissive lights. These are usually neons/holos. They are not to be confused with coloured lights. Area/Point/Spot lights are not emissives and they can be coloured.

Video example below. I'm spawning 2 light sources via AMM to demonstrate this, a directional spot light and an emissive light (an umbrella with a neon rim, although any neon light emitting prop like signage will also show this effect).

It occurs when RT Lighting is set to medium, ultra or psycho. With RT Lighting off, emissives do not illuminate skin.

If you play around with CET console commands, try setting GameOptions.SetFloat("RayTracing/NRD", "DiffuseMaxAdaptiveRadiusScale", 0.000000)

Example images:

DiffuseMaxAdaptiveRadiusScale = 5.000000 (this is the default value)

View attachment 11296945

DiffuseMaxAdaptiveRadiusScale = 0.000000
View attachment 11296948

Ray tracing at low ray counts for real time rendering is very noisy and this does not reduce the noise, but it does make the scale larger. So it shimmers like water rather than have this grainy/glittering effect. You may find this preferable. The game has to use a tonne of denoising and accumulation frames to make it look somewhat clean.
Wow, thanks for the insight! I’ll have to try CET when I get home because I’d certainly prefer to have the temporary fixes you outlined. Been playing without mods recently just to enjoy the vanilla experience but I’ll make an exception for CET. I’m glad it’s nothing strange on my end. Hopefully it’ll be addressed though. I just got an RTX card and RT looks beautiful but this aberration is awfully distracting imo.

Here is a short video of me playing with NRD values (NRD = NVidia Real-time Denoiser):
After watching the video, I noticed that in Ray Tracing mode on Series X, there are the same kind of effects sometimes. Not always, but on River's gun in Photo Mode, it's was exactly like at 1:25 on the video. A little bit like light on water that lit up a dark ceiling.

After watching the video, I noticed that in Ray Tracing mode on Series X, there are the same kind of effects sometimes. Not always, but on River's gun in Photo Mode, it's was exactly like at 1:25 on the video. A little bit like light on water that lit up a dark ceiling.
Yes. The tech, both hardware and software, maybe we'll reach a stage capable of eliminating such artifacts before the end of the current console generation. Chances are we'll keep chasing more accurate iterations and denoising quality/power will take turns until some kind of parity is reached rather than a straight line that fixes either one. A lot falls on how developers utilize the API infrastructure themselves.

For river's gun, this is likely happening because the reflection isn't clear enough, and the console isn't rendering at a high enough resolution, for RT to solve in a better manner. Artifacts occur even at 4k on PC with DLSS set to quality. It's just the nature of the beast. It's incredible that this can be done in real time though.

Anyway; Denoising diffuses the artifacts you get when rending an image, so you go from a really distracting and pervasive grain to these soft dots that swim over the surface of the object(s). As Hayte pointed out, this is particularly noticeable with emissives because the lighting is rendered through the RT tech itself. Emissives are lights calculated by the value of the object, and not an actual light placed in the scene. So you could take two billboards at any moment to check for this and will have different results because one has an actual light while the other doesn't. If you have RT lighting turned on that is. 2077 On PC; each RT lighting step not only introduces another lighting pass, it increasines the final render resolution.
RT medium - diffuse world lighting
RT ultra - diffuse local lighting
RT Psycho - diffuse sun bounce lighting(Honestly, the decrease in rendering artifacts is more noticeable than the bounce lighting)

Series X doesn't do RT Lighting though, so there is no NRD. I'm not sure what the thing is with River's gun in photomode but has to be something else. Perhaps screen space reflection?

Series X doesn't do RT Lighting though, so there is no NRD. I'm not sure what the thing is with River's gun in photomode but has to be something else. Perhaps screen space reflection?
Yes,I was just going on a general tangent for how this stuff works on PC.

SSR may be using on-screen path tracing similar to OG Crysis 2. The SSR in this game is quite grainy. He didn't include an image so I can't understand what he's talking about precisely.

I can't say what it is nor why, but it's the exact (or almost) the same visual effect (1:25 on the video. Like if it rain on a surface that lights up when a drop of water touches it. it's pretty nice, but certainly not expected^^ ).
Maybe the XRD Xbox Real-time Denoiser... :giveup:
At the end, nothing really to do with the subject, just a remark (after watching the video) that I already see these kind of effects especially now in 1.5 after the next-gen update and in RT mode.

Last edited:
Top Bottom