Weird gpu load

+
Weird gpu load

I'm getting a weird gpu load while playing. In game it's jumping from 50 to 90%, when I alt-tab to desktop gpu load is constant 100%. Game (Steam version) is running at 1080p high/ultra in full screen with vsync turned on in nvidia panel. Doesn't seem to happen in other games. Any explanation?
Specs:
intel i5 4690k
gtx 970
8 gb ram

I'm getting a weird gpu load while playing. In game it's jumping from 50 to 90%,
when I alt-tab to desktop gpu load is constant 100%.

Game (Steam version) is running at 1080p high/ultra in full screen with vsync turned on in nvidia panel.
Doesn't seem to happen in other games. Any explanation?

Specs:

intel i5 4690k
gtx 970
8 gb ram

--------

I guess it depends on how some games are coded, and some games may encounter a problem,
while alt tabbing in and out of the game.

Have you tried to play Full-Screen Windowed Mode?

I've tried running it in borderless mode and gpu load in-game is 99-100% but it does feel a little laggy. Not that I have a huge problem with all this, it just seems odd to me.

It was only a suggestion to see if your GPU load would go lower whilst alt -tabbing that way.

The bad is that: The game will run a bit slower as it doesn’t have exclusive access to your hardware,
but this setting is often ideal if you have enough graphics power and want to easily alt-tab.

Unfortunately the 100% GPU load, happens with some games (whilst alt-tabbing),
but i wouldn't bother much about that...if your game works fine the normal way.

So if your GPU has a stable performance and it stays under normal working temperatures, there is nothing wrong.

---------

Another explanation would be, that whilst alt+tabbing your Vsync goes off, thus making your GPU working at full speed.

Last edited:
Many settings set through Nvidia Control panel only work when in fullscreen mode. For example v-sync options won't work if playing in windowed borderless mode. Try using the in-game v-sync and see how it behaves when alt-tabbing.

So I've tested different screen modes with different vsyncs and gpu load is still 100%. I guess it's just a feature of game code.

Top Bottom