Weird graphical effect in Cutscenes

+
Weird graphical effect in Cutscenes

I've been quite impressed by the graphics in The Witcher so far, except the cutscenes seem to be ruined by some weird sort of blocky effect that seems to appear on the character models that makes them look very low res. It's annoying because underneath the blockiness i can see the models are really detailed..The only time it doesn't happen so far is if i am using the "cat" potion at the time the cutscene plays.Does this happen to anyone else, and is there a way to fix it?

Depth of Field causes those distortions on characters. There's really nothing you can do about it except disable it (and lose the blurry effect).

OK I stand corrected it's the Lightning Quality setting which causes this. You have to set it to Low to get rid of the distortions.

marcd2007 said:
I've been quite impressed by the graphics in The Witcher so far, except the cutscenes seem to be ruined by some weird sort of blocky effect that seems to appear on the character models that makes them look very low res. It's annoying because underneath the blockiness i can see the models are really detailed..The only time it doesn't happen so far is if i am using the "cat" potion at the time the cutscene plays.Does this happen to anyone else, and is there a way to fix it?
Would You please post us some pictures of the described effect and a screencap of Your advanced options?Also, info about Your gfx card will be important. : )In any case - do You have latest video card drivers installed?

All the advanced options are on max, resolution is 1024x768 (problem also occurs in 1280x1024)I have an Asus Geforce 7900 GTI am using Forceware 169.01 but have also tried 94.xxHere is a picture:

you can see what we are talking about quite well on the face of the guy holding the torch. This happens on all character models during cutscenes but is far more noticeable when moving. You can also see it quite well on the collar of the merchant to the right

marcd2007 said:
you can see what we are talking about quite well on the face of the guy holding the torch. This happens on all character models during cutscenes but is far more noticeable when moving. You can also see it quite well on the collar of the merchant to the right
...but thats just a focus effect on the camera.... only the person your talking to is in focus...

marcd2007 said:
All the advanced options are on max, resolution is 1024x768 (problem also occurs in 1280x1024)I have an Asus Geforce 7900 GTI am using Forceware 169.01 but have also tried 94.xx
Thanks for the screencap and info. : )Indeed, that's DOF (depth of field) - it should focus on the interlocutor and leave background and foreground objects blurred.All fine, though the outlines of the blur shouldn't be as "cubic" as those on the screencap.For the time being, if this annoys You, please try to play with Your card options (quality, forced antialiasing?) - this might just do the trick - or if it doesn't - turn off the "DoF" option in "Advanced settings" menu.Meanwhile, I'm forwarding this with Your card specifications to our team for evaluation. : )

the same "cubic" effect happens on the character in focus as well, it just doesnt show up well in screenshots; when the game is moving you can see it very clearly, and as said previously it's completely gone when using the "cat" potion..

I still think its your own graphics card set for "Peformance Over Quality"... I'll have to test this when I get home... but I do know it happens more on outsite cut scenes, than inside cut scenes, so Im assuming this has to be a Peformance Over Quality as outside scenes have alot more woking in the back ground than inside cut scenes...am I making sence?.. your graphics card is/maybe set to reduce the graphics (usually AA first) to keep the games Peformance level stutter free.

CDP have already forwarded details to their team, but as in the other thread, I have this problem too. It's not only on outdoor scenes - the worst instance I ever saw of it was actually during the prologue near the fire - any conversations with the Witchers at the table showed it quite badly.As mentioned, dropping the lighting level is the only fix - I've tried drivers from 7.5 to 7.10, both official and omega, with my x1950xt. All exhibit the same problem.

I set my graphic driver for "quality Over Performence"... and the problem went away. Game stuttered a bit though.. I then set the graphics card for average peformance & quality, and the issue only pops up every now and then, mostly when there is alot of other objects in the area..So that may conclude what I said was right.. Its a smart setting within the Graphics drivers... I have only tested this with the ATI (X1950pro) control panel, I can't test this with nVidia, but it would be interesting to see if the same thing happens... then it would be a final conclusion ;)Try it yourself.. no harm in doing so really is there ;)

always have my graphics set to "high quality" - installed the new 169.04 drivers today and the lighting works properly now in cutscenes, and the game runs as well in 1280x1024 as it did in 1024x768 on the previous drivers, so i recommend you get them asap!oh and by the way, if you set AA to Disabled and AF to 1x then change them in the Nvidia control panel to 2x and 16x the same as the highest game settings, the game looks a hell of a lot better, and runs better as well.. only problem is the shadows dont work properly if you use AA from the nvidia control panel :(

that good..I do think this issue is a "local" tweeking issue regarding your PC's rather than patching the game... although the DEVs may be able to help a little..

Here is another thread to this problem:http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=2867.15

I have the same problem. I'm using GF 7900 GT SLI 256 mb. I'm using the latest beta drivers. 169.04

Hiho, as my first post on these boards I'd like to provide some pictures of what we're talking about here - this is pretty much my only graphical naggle with this otherwise beautiful game. Below are two pictures of examples, one of a blue-eyed lass and another one of the main man with different Lighting Quality settings. Strange, how the highest setting looks MUCH worse than the lower ones - I'd say this is not a 'user-tweaking' issue, but a bug within the graphics engine.

Top Bottom