SOLVED weird noise coming out of pc

+
weird noise coming out of pc

i bought new pc after many years just focusing on case and whats in it(not monitor yet) but when i play witcher 3 there is weird noise coming out and i dont know the source.
GTX 1080 gaming x
16 gb ram
i7 7700k
cooler thermaltake contac silent 12
asus ROG strix z270g gaming
antec 750w gold

hi , yes of course. its start with farcry 4 , and believe it or not sound like some kinda music , has rhythm to it , then the witcher 3, at first in game no sound but when fan start working above 60c , i think start buzzing ,sorry i dont know how to describe but you know there is sound.my other games now have it like fallout 4 and i never hearing sound before, i have this pc for 4 month and i play lots of games, its always silent. i am very nervus cuse of lot of money spend for this
i'm sure its come from gpu

Last edited:
It sounds like it could be a dirty fan. When's the last time you've cleaned out the inside of your box with compressed air? (You should do this about once per month. Only takes a few minutes.)

Alternatively, overclocking hardware without alternative cooling solutions can often wear down the fans before their time (heat / friction can make the bearings lose a bit of their perfect roundness or warp the track a bit, which will create vibrations when the fan spins at certain speeds, resulting in a "whine" that may become a "buzz" over time.) If not significantly overclocking, though, this shouldn't be an issue.

My last initial guess would be an hard drive. This is unlikely, however. If an HDD was damaged enough to start making a continuous noise, I think you'd be seeing other effects leaving you with no doubt something was wrong.

Aside from fans and HDDs, there are no other moving parts in a PC (unless you have a liquid cooling rig with a pump or something?) My primary guess would be: dirty fan.

SigilFey;n10819181 said:
It sounds like it could be a dirty fan. When's the last time you've cleaned out the inside of your box with compressed air? (You should do this about once per month. Only takes a few minutes.)

Alternatively, overclocking hardware without alternative cooling solutions can often wear down the fans before their time (heat / friction can make the bearings lose a bit of their perfect roundness or warp the track a bit, which will create vibrations when the fan spins at certain speeds, resulting in a "whine" that may become a "buzz" over time.) If not significantly overclocking, though, this shouldn't be an issue.

My last initial guess would be an hard drive. This is unlikely, however. If an HDD was damaged enough to start making a continuous noise, I think you'd be seeing other effects leaving you with no doubt something was wrong.

Aside from fans and HDDs, there are no other moving parts in a PC (unless you have a liquid cooling rig with a pump or something?) My primary guess would be: dirty fan.

thanks for reply,
i thought the problem was fans too and compressed air, i cleaned 2 times in this 4 month,im very careful with compressed air and barely touching anything, and there is no dust in my case, i have panzer z8 full tower with no liquid cooling, i test the fans with afterburner in full speed 100% it was no sound (other than the fans itself) its strat when im in game and noy at begging when fans start working after 60c because gaming x fans not working before 60c i guess.
not hdd too. hdd locate behind mother board, not the source of sound. in 4 month there was no sound, start with farcry4(damn you) and it practically hearing some sort of music.

Ali_12345y;n10819521 said:
thanks for reply,
i thought the problem was fans too and compressed air, i cleaned 2 times in this 4 month,im very careful with compressed air and barely touching anything, and there is no dust in my case, i have panzer z8 full tower with no liquid cooling, i test the fans with afterburner in full speed 100% it was no sound (other than the fans itself) its strat when im in game and noy at begging when fans start working after 60c because gaming x fans not working before 60c i guess.
not hdd too. hdd locate behind mother board, not the source of sound. in 4 month there was no sound, start with farcry4(damn you) and it practically hearing some sort of music.

Hm. I'm not sure I can get a clear idea of what you mean. Can you create a recording of the sound? If doing this on a phone, try to cancel any other "white noise" (-- close your windows and draw curtains if you can, turn off any desk fans, close all doors in the room, etc.), then place the phone on something so that it doesn't move around during the recording. Open the box, and get the mic as close to the source of the sound as you can without it actually touching anything. (If you need to play the game to make it happen, please turn off your speakers completely.)

SigilFey;n10820221 said:
Hm. I'm not sure I can get a clear idea of what you mean. Can you create a recording of the sound? If doing this on a phone, try to cancel any other "white noise" (-- close your windows and draw curtains if you can, turn off any desk fans, close all doors in the room, etc.), then place the phone on something so that it doesn't move around during the recording. Open the box, and get the mic as close to the source of the sound as you can without it actually touching anything. (If you need to play the game to make it happen, please turn off your speakers completely.)

can it damage to any part of pc while i recording? for be clear to what i mean,in witcher 3 sound like coil whine according to other people that have this issue,but in farcry4 sound different.and i try in other games that run silent before like fallout 4, but seems like this noise not going away.and only start noise when im in games.
and in cleaning with compressed air or napkin can it hurt parts or cause this problem or anything like this at all?

Last edited:
Ali_12345y;n10820321 said:
can it damage to any part of pc while i recording? for be clear to what i mean,in witcher 3 sound like coil whine according to other people that have this issue,but in farcry4 sound different.and i try in other games that run silent before like fallout 4, but seems like this noise not going away.and only start noise when im in games.
and in cleaning with compressed air or napkin can it hurt parts or cause this problem or anything like this at all?

Can recording the sound cause issues? No. Not unless your house happens to be hit by lightning or something while doing it. I say don't touch the phone to to anything so that the sound records clearly.

As stated, the only moving parts of most PCs are the fans and the HDDs. (SSDs have no moving parts.) Also a DVD drive, but they should be still unless there's an actual disk in it. So it's almost certainly a fan. The reason it sounds different in different games is because of the way that certain games render. Different patterns of rendering can create different patterns of heat build-up, and that can make the fan cycle through speeds differently. You'll likely hear a different "buzz" or "rattle" depending on which game you play, but you'll probably hear similar noise every time you play the same game.

You mention using a "napkin" to clean out the insides of the PC. That's not a good idea. If using a static-free cloth, you can, but normal fabrics can carry a static charge. Plus, "pressing" on PC components can damage them. The general rule is don't touch any metal parts or circuitry if you can help it. The compressed air normally does the trick without contact. Even if the PC is really dirty, you mostly want to get the bigger dust-bunnies and tendrils out of it. They work as insulation and can clog vents, building up heat. The thin, sticky "membrane" of dust that some parts accrue over time isn't really worth the trouble to remove, I've found. It'll mostly be on the fans and vents, and as long as the PC can breath, won't have much of an effect. Removing it often requires scrubbing the parts with something, and that's far more prone to cause damage than the dust.

Once I hear the noise, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to say whether or not it's a fan.

SigilFey;n10820841 said:
Can recording the sound cause issues? No. Not unless your house happens to be hit by lightning or something while doing it. I say don't touch the phone to to anything so that the sound records clearly.

As stated, the only moving parts of most PCs are the fans and the HDDs. (SSDs have no moving parts.) Also a DVD drive, but they should be still unless there's an actual disk in it. So it's almost certainly a fan. The reason it sounds different in different games is because of the way that certain games render. Different patterns of rendering can create different patterns of heat build-up, and that can make the fan cycle through speeds differently. You'll likely hear a different "buzz" or "rattle" depending on which game you play, but you'll probably hear similar noise every time you play the same game.

You mention using a "napkin" to clean out the insides of the PC. That's not a good idea. If using a static-free cloth, you can, but normal fabrics can carry a static charge. Plus, "pressing" on PC components can damage them. The general rule is don't touch any metal parts or circuitry if you can help it. The compressed air normally does the trick without contact. Even if the PC is really dirty, you mostly want to get the bigger dust-bunnies and tendrils out of it. They work as insulation and can clog vents, building up heat. The thin, sticky "membrane" of dust that some parts accrue over time isn't really worth the trouble to remove, I've found. It'll mostly be on the fans and vents, and as long as the PC can breath, won't have much of an effect. Removing it often requires scrubbing the parts with something, and that's far more prone to cause damage than the dust.

Once I hear the noise, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to say whether or not it's a fan.

thanks for reply

i meant in general this noise can damge my gpu or other parts? and once again the fans not causing it. they dont move when noise start.
here the recording,this was in farcy4(not even in gameplay)
would you want upload the witcher 3 as well or this is enough.

Ali_12345y;n10821141 said:
here the recording,this was in farcy4(not even in gameplay)

Yep. I'm 99.7% sure that that's the fan. (Mandatory 0.3% reserve for outrageous fortune.) Sounds like it's unbalanced. Unfortunately, there's not much that cleaning will do to fix that. Not that anything is wrong, necessarily, but there's no reason for brand new parts to be making noise like that. It's something I'd expect to see after 3-5 years of heavy use. Can you take it into the shop that built it? (They may be able to tighten up the housing. It's likely just a little thing.)

Last edited:
SigilFey;n10822651 said:
Yep. I'm 99.7% sure that that's the fan. (Mandatory 0.3% reserve for outrageous fortune.) Sounds like it's unbalanced. Unfortunately, there's not much that cleaning will do to fix that. Not that anything is wrong, necessarily, but there's no reason for brand new parts to be making noise like that. It's something I'd expect to see after 3-5 years of heavy use. Can you take it into the shop that built it? (They may be able to tighten up the housing. It's likely just a little thing.)

what! are you sure? then why with afterbuner i test fans with 100% of use which is never had before in gaming and no annoying noise made just sound like fan working very fast. and in youtube or another forum they talk about coil whine and record it, its sound exactly like them(not that i want to be to be my problem) but im confuse. if this the case im relieve(sort of)

Ali_12345y;n10824541 said:
...and in youtube or another forum they talk about coil whine...

Ahhh...this could be the case, too. (There's that mandatory 0.3%!) This is a problem that plagued the early 2000's, but most modern hardware is free from it today. If that's what it is, it's not really a "problem" (it won't break anything), but it is annoying. Technically, it's also due to a manufacturing defect. You should be able to argue for a replacement part, since your system is so new. In the end, after spending hundreds of dollars on a high-end card, that should not be happening. The only thing you should be dealing with is amazing performance.

However, it's still possible it's the fan, as an imbalance in the fans can start as a whine or hum (like you're hearing), then slowly degrade to a rattle over time as the parts fall more and more out of alignment. The noise may also occur only at certain RPMs, not necessarily across the board. So you might hear it only within the "middle range" of fan speeds. Do you hear this noise constantly, or does it come and go during a play session? (Constantly would argue for coil whine, as you suggest.)

In the end, there's nothing else to be done about it except bring it into the shop and have them actually investigate it.

No worries about playing on the system in the meantime, though! Whether it's fans or coil whine, it's just annoying noise, not a sign that anything is damaged. Coil whine is simply micro-vibrations caused by power draw for a part that's not 100% firmly seated on the board. It takes nothing but fractions of a millimeter to cause the issue, and it's normally harmless. I seriously doubt that anything is "broken", but since it's odd for this to be happening on such a high-end part...better safe than sorry. Besides, I'll say again, for what you must have paid for that system -- there should be absolutely 0 issues. :)

SigilFey;n10824961 said:
Ahhh...this could be the case, too. (There's that mandatory 0.3%!) This is a problem that plagued the early 2000's, but most modern hardware is free from it today. If that's what it is, it's not really a "problem" (it won't break anything), but it is annoying. Technically, it's also due to a manufacturing defect. You should be able to argue for a replacement part, since your system is so new. In the end, after spending hundreds of dollars on a high-end card, that should not be happening. The only thing you should be dealing with is amazing performance.

However, it's still possible it's the fan, as an imbalance in the fans can start as a whine or hum (like you're hearing), then slowly degrade to a rattle over time as the parts fall more and more out of alignment. The noise may also occur only at certain RPMs, not necessarily across the board. So you might hear it only within the "middle range" of fan speeds. Do you hear this noise constantly, or does it come and go during a play session? (Constantly would argue for coil whine, as you suggest.)

In the end, there's nothing else to be done about it except bring it into the shop and have them actually investigate it.

No worries about playing on the system in the meantime, though! Whether it's fans or coil whine, it's just annoying noise, not a sign that anything is damaged. Coil whine is simply micro-vibrations caused by power draw for a part that's not 100% firmly seated on the board. It takes nothing but fractions of a millimeter to cause the issue, and it's normally harmless. I seriously doubt that anything is "broken", but since it's odd for this to be happening on such a high-end part...better safe than sorry. Besides, I'll say again, for what you must have paid for that system -- there should be absolutely 0 issues. :)

i really appreciate for your reply
that is why im so upset and angry because after 7 years finally buy what i want, and its not even occurred to me that with this parts,cause the problem,guess i win the lottery.

i hear the noise constantly in game, like witcher 3,its not there in begining, after few minutes it'll start,and its funny when i hit backspace to go in inventory the sound will gone,and when i come back to game its start again.

i turned on v-sync on nvidia control panel with triple buffering the sound reduce(i guess 50%)but you can hear it with absolute silent in room with box open and no headphone, i know im very sensitive about this(because of very good reason, when you paid alot you expect alot in return)

do you think if i return the card for replacement or repair, is it possible that i get same card or worse or in repair would damage it?
by the way, is my psu good for this system?

Last edited:
Ali_12345y;n10825101 said:
i turned on v-sync on nvidia control panel with triple buffering the sound reduce(i guess 50%)

Sounds like you're right and I'm wrong: coil whine. It seems to be directly related to the amount of voltage being drawn. Vsync will take a massive load off of the rendering, so it makes sense that would immediately cut the noise. Likewise, when the game suspends most of the 3D stuff to display the mostly 2D inventory, the sound would cut out.

There should be no issue getting a replacement. It's really not something that can be "fixed", as it's directly a result of the machining process during the card's production. These things:
coil.jpg

If the coils of wire are just the tiniest bit out of alignment, it will create enough room for the electrical current to "vibrate" the rings, creating the noise. It's a valid complaint, because a part that you spent $600+ dollars on, specifically designed to create the highest-quality, entertainment experience...

...was put together incorrectly and is constantly whining like a mosquito in your ear. Replacement, please.

EDIT: Also, yes! Power supply is adequate. One thing the shop might want to try, though, is looking at the power arrangement in the BIOS. If the card is getting a bit too much or not enough, that could be causing it, but I really doubt it. Are you overclocking in any way?

Last edited:
SigilFey;n10825181 said:
Sounds like you're right and I'm wrong: coil whine. It seems to be directly related to the amount of voltage being drawn. Vsync will take a massive load off of the rendering, so it makes sense that would immediately cut the noise. Likewise, when the game suspends most of the 3D stuff to display the mostly 2D inventory, the sound would cut out.

There should be no issue getting a replacement. It's really not something that can be "fixed", as it's directly a result of the machining process during the card's production. These things:

If the coils of wire are just the tiniest bit out of alignment, it will create enough room for the electrical current to "vibrate" the rings, creating the noise. It's a valid complaint, because a part that you spent $600+ dollars on, specifically designed to create the highest-quality, entertainment experience...

...was put together incorrectly and is constantly whining like a mosquito in your ear. Replacement, please.

EDIT: Also, yes! Power supply is adequate. One thing the shop might want to try, though, is looking at the power arrangement in the BIOS. If the card is getting a bit too much or not enough, that could be causing it, but I really doubt it. Are you overclocking in any way?

i really want that was the fans lol, but there is no difference, NO, i dont like overclocking. because im no pro on this stuff and fear to mess up something, and i dont think it was factory overclocked either.but i try to replacement the card.
is it take long to replace the card?
in gpu_z my VDDC show 1.0500V, is it high?
i think my psu antec 750w gold plus good enough for this rig,dont you think?

Last edited:
Ali_12345y;n10825621 said:
NO, i dont like overclocking.

This is goody, as it means the card was never used "outside of factory specs". They should have no issue replacing it. I also avoid OC like the plague. It's really not necessary. I always shoot for a smooth 60 FPS max. (But I'll happily deal with lower caps if I need to.)

is it take long to replace the card?

Depends on stock / area. If it took a while the first time, it'll likely take about the same.

in gpu_z my VDDC show 1.0500V, is it high? i think my psu antec 750w gold plus good enough for this rig,dont you think?

I'm not personally familiar with he card (I use a 980 ti), but that sounds right. Your PSU should be fine.

In general, welcome to the joys and rigors of full on PC gaming rigs. No worries. Once you work out the kinks, that system is gonna scream. :)

(But not whine. ;))

SigilFey;n10827141 said:
In general, welcome to the joys and rigors of full on PC gaming rigs. No worries. Once you work out the kinks, that system is gonna scream.
(But not whine. )

first of all i really appreciate your reply and answering. i hope this was my last problem because i think i lost weight (but i dont think so)funny you mention 60fps, i have this monitor for almost 10 years more or less,and i never play above 60 fps,comparing to my case its like a toy beside it.
and i want to ask another question,really

WHATs IN THE BOX

Top Bottom