Weird visual glitch on bright clothes on LOD transition with DLSS (FSR?)

+

iCake

Forum veteran
Hello there.

I just discovered a weird visual glitch that sends multiple black square artifacts when you get close to anybody wearing bright clothes. You can see it in this rather long video but it illustrates the point. I guess it also happens with FSR to some (minor extent) like you can see it on the third run up to the guy in the video, but it's very minor compared to the artifacts DLSS produces.

I recentely got a new card and wanted to replay the game. I did get some mods going and that's actually when I noticed this glitch for the first time after installing high res textures for clothing that you can find on Nexus. But, of course, I completely restored the game to vanilla for the video, even nuked the driver with DDU for good measure.

I also still have my old 3070Ti on me that has served me faithuflly for more than a year, I think, no issues. So I swiped it back in the system but the glitch persists on it all the same. I also did a quick search over the Internet and found a reddit thread from like a month ago that highlights pretty much the same thing, only not on clothes but on some wall textures,

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/10a7eco
The thing is, it's from /linux gaming. I am on Windows 11 though.

If somebody could try this out on their PC with DLSS enabled, I would really appreciate it. I don't seem to experience any issues with the other games that I have played on this new card. I completed Hogwarts Legacy, played quite a bit of the new gen Witcher, and Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition. All good there.

Thanks, guys! I think I'll also file this with the support.

This topic should be brought to the Nvidia forums, I guess. It looks like they did not train their AI for what is happening in the video.

Does the issue change when you use different DLSS profiles in Cyberpunk? What if you try setting it to quality and set image sharpening to 0.05?

It's not your PC, I noticed the same effect in my game whenever I'm walking alongside the NPCs on the street.

Most likely caused by the recent Frame Generation update that the game received, because I did not experience it before it and all my drivers are up to date. Not to mention that GeForce Experience does not recognize Cyberpunk's settings anymore, so could be related in some way.

Haven't reported a bug report for it though, but I might when I get the time.

iCake

Forum veteran
@bauerkn well, that is actually a good idea! I've never used Nvidia forums before so it did not even occur to me to leave a note there. So I may do that but after I got word from CDPR Support. Let's see what light they can shed on this.

Also, I don't think DLSS or any fancy AI or whatnot is of any direct cause to this. I did have these black pixels shoot even with FSR on. Not as noticable an effect but it was there. In any case, I completed the game back when it had just been released and DLSS worked perfectly fine back then.

The glitch persists on any DLSS setting, if anything it becomes more noticable the higher the internal rendering resolution is. E.g. the black squares will shoot a lot more noticeably with DLSS quality, and less so on DLSS performance.

Then, I really believe it's something with the LOD transitions, you can't see that on the video as it is no where near to convey as much detail as it is on my monitor but the black pixels shoot exactly when you can see the "flat" texture of the shirt goes into a "detailed" one as in the moment you start noticing individual threads on the shirt.

@Crimsomrider thanks for the feedback! I'm glad I am not the only one with this issue. Maybe it was indeed something to do with the FG update, however, I have to add that the FG itself does not cause this, this happens regardless of FG being on or off.
Post automatically merged:

Last edited:

iCake

Forum veteran
A small update. Running a DirectX web installer found 5.6 Mb worth of DirectX libraries to download and now the effect is significantly reduced. It's not gone but a lot less in the face. I wonder if there's some other dependency the game has that has failed to be recongnized by my steam installation.

A small update. Running a DirectX web installer found 5.6 Mb worth of DirectX libraries to download and now the effect is significantly reduced. It's not gone but a lot less in the face. I wonder if there's some other dependency the game has that has failed to be recongnized by my steam installation.
Can you provide a link to this installer for others with the same issue?

iCake

Forum veteran
Sure. It is an online installer for DirectX you can grab directly from Microsoft. It scans for the DirectX libraries already installed and lets you download those that you don't have.

iCake

Forum veteran
Another bit of update. Setting the game resolution up to 4K virtually took care of the issue. It is still there but you need to know where to look to notice it. Strange stuff for sure but, well, I'm going to take it. Did not set to 4K only because I've got a 1440p screen, but 4K DLSS quality image downsampled to 1440p by DLDSR looks absolutely amazing to my eyes.

iCake

Forum veteran
Finally got an official resonse from Nvidia support team. This issue is officially acknowledged as a bug and it looks like the bug is coming from Nvidia drivers and not from the game itself:

1678905550312.png

Took a good 2 weeks to get to this response from Nvidia. But what I can tell is that Nvidia support had at least kept communicating with me, while CDPR support just answered with the usual "you are sure you are not a fool" responses and then just completely ghosted me, which is a real shame. Would never have expected such poor communication from CDPR, and I used to deal with them before and the support was always quite swift and on point. Well, not this time.

In any case, if you get this exact issue, it's nothing to do with your hardware, the bug comes from Nvidia drivers.

Top Bottom