Welcome Thread [Archive]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some months ago, sustaining the balance of the universe. After 3 years for the first time I'm thinking of trimming down my hair for improving it.

The beard always stays though ;)

I have a turtle in the backyard here, with the same shape of your abs in the shell. she's in hibernation now. wonder if her shell will look more flat and fatty when she'll emerge :D
Impressive work anyway, saoe :)

About turtles? ground turtles are omnivores. You just need a garden where to place them. Beware, they tend to destoy anything that grows there, grass, plants. flowers... when they emerge from hibernation they're hungry, so if you don't want to see your grass destroyed, better you feed them pretty often. They like food rich in water and fibers, so they eat either small insects and worms especially, or vegetables. They adore fresh tomatos, watermelons, cucumbers, celeries, peach and apples... summer vegetables in general. They also like water retaining plants, withouth thorns of course like:

And they need the ground to hibernate in winter and get some refresh in summer. They sleeps among the plant roots.
They're intelligent creatures and they recognize you when they see you. Males may even try to attack you in heat. Females are more peaceful. They have different personalities too, like any other animals. I have four turtles in the backyard, one male, three females, each with unique behaviours.

One counterindication is to not put any water bowl or pool close to their place, coz they are not good in swimming and with their heavy shell they can overturn and drown. They don't need water to drink, they take water from plants and vegetables and worms that eat.
Hope that it helps :)

@secondchildren 4 turtles? wow you must really love them. It doesn't sound too complicated, I have medium size garden, can they walk freely without me being worried about neighbors cats? could they attack him? Can they live alone or you need a pair? I need to call RSPCA and ask if they have any. Tho I am planning to getting some pet or pets around summer time, so no rush.

Well my cats normally ignore them. They can come close, sniff or try to touch the shell with the paw, but no, turtles are not toys of interest to cats, because they're quiet, slow and don't make acute noises. My cats even watch them when they overturn and it happens pretty often :D
Maybe a lively playful dog may find them interesting, but you can teach him not to play with turtles. You should put turtles into a fence of some sort, to avoid them to walk into the street for example, and been killed by a car. Even though that little escaper above (the one in the picture) can manage to flee to any of my fence. Alcatraz turtle :)
Turtles are not exactly sociable, so you can have only one, it won't care. When they mate they can make hundreds of eggs, but they don't breed so often, in fact you could have baby turtles once in 15 years. If you put together a female and a male, he may try to mount her making squeacking sounds. But she won't get pregnant so easily.

I don't know how it works in US, here in my country you need a permission to take and keep ground turtles coz they are a protected species.

Well my cats normally ignore them. They can come close, sniff or try to touch the shell with the paw, but no, turtles are not toys of interest to cats, because they're quiet, slow and don't make acute noises. My cats even watch them when they overturn and it happens pretty often :D
Maybe a lively playful dog may find them interesting, but you can teach him not to play with turtles. You should put turtles into a fence of some sort, to avoid them to walk into the street for example, and been killed by a car. Even though that little escaper above (the one in the picture) can manage to flee to any of my fence. Alcatraz turtle :)
Turtles are not exactly sociable, so you can have only one, it won't care. When they mate they can make hundreds of eggs, but they don't breed so often, in fact you could have baby turtles once in 15 years. If you put together a female and a male, he may try to mount her making squeacking sounds. But she won't get pregnant so easily.

I don't know how it works in US, here in my country you need a permission to take and keep ground turtles coz they are a protected species.

Native tortoises are considered threatened or endangered everywhere in the US; and depending on the state, you may need a permit to keep one, or may not be allowed to keep one at all. (Gopher Tortoise, Texas Tortoise, and both species of Desert Tortoise). Exotic tortoises such as Russian Tortoises generally require a permit. There are tortoise rescue societies you can adopt from. The southern tier states are good places to keep tortoises outdoors, in large fenced yards where they can happily munch weeds and grow fat.

Last edited:
aww cute :)
Someone I know had one turtle too (or tortoise, I keep forgetting the difference between the two, the one he had had webbed feet)

Turtles and terrapins are mostly aquatic; they have webbed feet or flippers and are strong swimmers. Tortoises are land animals; their feet are specialized for digging, and they generally cannot swim. Many languages other than English do not make this distinction.

Last edited:
Turtles and terrapins are mostly aquatic; they have webbed feet or flippers and are strong swimmers. Tortoises are land animals; their feet are specialized for digging, and they generally cannot swim. Many languages other than English do not make this distinction.

Ah yes! (I could have googled I know but well lol) Ya I can understand, this goes into more of the animal kingdom differentiation even though feels just basic as an english speaker primarily.
Then looks like @secondchildren has four cute tortoises :)

Oh well... then what are ninja turtles? acquatic or land? :D

Thanks for the clarification Guy N'wah :)

Yes, they're cute but ugly, they look like old hags even if they're babies :D But they're quite funny and goofy when they move. I like them a lot they're peculiar animals, peaceful. But actually my mother is a real fan of tortoises and turtles. I am mostly a fan of fur and insects. Spiders and bees. Actually... I think I am a fan of nature in general.

Oh well... then what are ninja turtles? acquatic or land? :D

Thanks for the clarification Guy N'wah :)

Yes, they're cute but ugly, they look like old hags even if they're babies :D But they're quite funny and goofy when they move. I like them a lot they're peculiar animals, peaceful. But actually my mother is a real fan of tortoises and turtles. I am mostly a fan of fur and insects. Spiders and bees. Actually... I think I am a fan of nature in general.

Tortoises sound like good pets, you don't have to replace them like dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom