Welcome Thread [Archive]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sa fi sanatos si sa ai parte de el cat mai mult Ursule!

Multumesc. :)

I can imagine.Did you buy the parts from Ro or did you have them shipped from abroad?
Romania, still not feeling safe ordering too many things from abroad (mainly because customs still like to shove their nose inside from time to time), so in the end it cost a bit more but at least I know it reaches me in one piece.

@Kinley
Very nice setup. I would feel slightly uncomfortable spending so much money on a computer, at least for the time being. It should last for a really long time though. What made you choose that motherboard instead of a good quality board for half the price? Also considering the more efficient Maxwell GPU's, is the 750W PSU intended for SLI?

Just out of curiosity, what is the price difference for PC components in Romania with respect to the US? I know in Germany it's 1 dollar --> 1 euro, which isn't terribly bad. So for instance, a $360 GTX 970 would be 360€.

Last edited:
@Kinley
Very nice setup. I would feel slightly uncomfortable spending so much money on a computer, at least for the time being. It should last for a really long time though. What made you choose that motherboard instead of a good quality board for half the price? Also considering the more efficient Maxwell GPU's, is the 750W PSU intended for SLI?

Just out of curiosity, what is the price difference for PC components in Romania with respect to the US? I know in Germany it's 1 dollar --> 1 euro, which isn't terribly bad. So for instance, a $360 GTX 970 would be 360€.

The mobo I got at a heavily discounted price (actually pretty much everything I ordered had some sort of discount, except the GPU), that was one part, the other is that I really like the look of it. :p As for the PSU, yes I am planning on adding one more GPU in the near future and it's also for when I'll start overclocking.

And to show you a price comparison between US and Romania, the ASUS GTX 970 STRIX on Newegg is listed under 350 dollars, the price on a Romanian site is listed under 492 dollars. So yeah, quite the difference.

The mobo I got at a heavily discounted price (actually pretty much everything I ordered had some sort of discount, except the GPU), that was one part, the other is that I really like the look of it. :p As for the PSU, yes I am planning on adding one more GPU in the near future and it's also for when I'll start overclocking.

And to show you a price comparison between US and Romania, the ASUS GTX 970 STRIX on Newegg is listed under 350 dollars, the price on a Romanian site is listed under 492 dollars. So yeah, quite the difference.

I can confirm this. I got my 970 StriX in September,,,for almost the price of a 980. Fuck this country.

It's pretty difficult to be a PC gamer here, as the average romanian earns about 350-400 euros. It's really funny to me when someone from US says that their 290x is "old". I am planning to use my 970 for at least 3 years, like I used my 6950. My i5 2500k is also 3 years old and I cannot justify changing it.

Last edited:
So if the average monthly income in Romania is 400€, how do you buy things? I mean, non essential things like gaming PC's. Seems like you'd have to devote the full salary of 2 to 3 months to purchase a whole new computer.

I suppose if you're single you can save 50% of your income over the course of six months and blow your savings on a new PC :p

I think similarly though. I upgrade every 3 to 4 years. Last year's tech is *not* old...

Last year's tech is *not* old...

So if the average monthly income in Romania is 400€, how do you buy things?
You slave away and after 6-10 months you get what you want.Well...unless the government doesn't toss another silly tax our way in the meantime.

This is nothing compared to the 90's/early 00's.The minimum salary back then was around 150 € which was incidently the same price for a brand new Playstation game.The first computer I bought was in 2000 and it cost me about 1000 € (the price of a small/medium apartment).

Browsing around I found a new motherboard, the Asus Z97-A, has TWO PCI slots. Yes, the legacy PCI! AWESOME! I hope something like that is still available by the time I upgrade CPU and motherboard, as I'd like to keep my trusty old Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro.

PCI slots are still there, but I was more surprised to find PS/2 port on modern motherboards.

Most have one PS/2 port. It's reasonable, because many users are attached to old keyboards. But it's surprising that they still make some with two.

Anyway, the ASUS Z97A is one of the most versatile motherboards around. Only the second of those PCI slots is really usable, though, because the first will be obstructed by the GPU.

So if the average monthly income in Romania is 400€, how do you buy things? I mean, non essential things like gaming PC's. Seems like you'd have to devote the full salary of 2 to 3 months to purchase a whole new computer.

I suppose if you're single you can save 50% of your income over the course of six months and blow your savings on a new PC :p

I think similarly though. I upgrade every 3 to 4 years. Last year's tech is *not* old...

Well, I am still a student and live with my parents, who have it better than most people. We are not rich but we live a pretty comfortable life. Even so, I am only able to get a new PC every 3-4 years. The last time I bought a new PC was when I finished high school and TW2 came out but the components I bought back then served me very well until my 6950 fried which I still would have used until TW3 came out if it hadn't. In hindsight I should never have trusted AMD and their crappy coolers.

I am also very very happy with my 2500k's performance, it is still at stock settings and will only overclock it when I need to.

I buy components by saving money over time, careful research and searching for the best bang for buck. I can't justify getting a 980 over a 970 for instance, nor could I justify getting a i7 2600k over a i5 2500k back in 2011.

My current specs are

CPU: i5 2500k @ stock settings
GPU: ASUS GTX 970 STRiX
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance
PSU: Corsair CS750M, which has a Gold certificate.
Mobo: A crappy P8H61 PRO (couldn't afford a better one at the time)
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DX
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 518

With this spec I can run BF4 at 2351x1323. I should be ready for TW3.

Last edited:
Browsing around I found a new motherboard, the Asus Z97-A, has TWO PCI slots. Yes, the legacy PCI! AWESOME! I hope something like that is still available by the time I upgrade CPU and motherboard, as I'd like to keep my trusty old Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro.

I'm still using my Audigy 1 ;)

Never felt the need to replace it, perfectly sound card, only problems I've encountered is when moving to a new OS, the driver releases have been slow, for obvious reasons. Also for obvious reasons, I don't see that being a problem for my new gaming box, which will be year overdue when I finally get round to building it in February. I like that board too btw.

Most have one PS/2 port. It's reasonable, because many users are attached to old keyboards. But it's surprising that they still make some with two.

Heh, sometime ago I got an unused Sun Unix keyboard (type 5), but it's not even PS/2, it's Mini-DIN-8 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-DIN_connector) which requires an adapter to USB anyway. I'm not sure if it's reasonable to keep that port on the motherboards for PS/2 much longer, since for those who use old keyboards it's quite easy to get an small adapter (example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...s/2_to_usb_adapter-_-9SIA1HE0YP1328-_-Product ).

I love old-ish hardware. Used the old Solaris before and one time at a geophysics lab brought an old Sun server back to life with FreeBSD. Sadly the director wouldn't let me take it home.

At the supercomputing conference in 08 saw and touched the original Cray 1. Pretty cool.

If I had lots of money I would try to have a room full of old computers, all in working order.

View attachment 6902

Yours truly(on the right). Suppose it was about time I did this, maybe I'll put a recent picture up as this one was after my last hair cut.

Edit: I should point out this isn't my house either, not that into anime, or pirates. And I definitely don't drink disgusting mello yello.

Attachments

• 475334_396074670439517_47825805_o.jpg
    475334_396074670439517_47825805_o.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I love old-ish hardware. Used the old Solaris before and one time at a geophysics lab brought an old Sun server back to life with FreeBSD. Sadly the director wouldn't let me take it home.

At the supercomputing conference in 08 saw and touched the original Cray 1. Pretty cool.

If I had lots of money I would try to have a room full of old computers, all in working order.

I've got such a room it's called basement...

One of my greatest oddities a barely ever used working Goupil Golf from 1989, including the original manual, warranty papers and bill.

View attachment 6912

This one is so rare that even most old computer museums don't have an idea about the original price. Well they don't, I do however.7923 DM (would be about 4000 €)

Saved from the trashcan 3 year ago.

Attachments

• PRODTHM-16195.jpg
    PRODTHM-16195.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 39

I still have Sun Blade 2500 in the working state with OpenSolaris installed there (before the project went belly up). It even runs X.org with Gnome 2!

It was one of the last desktop SPARC computers produced by Sun.

Last edited:
Heh, sometime ago I got an unused Sun Unix keyboard (type 5), but it's not even PS/2, it's Mini-DIN-8 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-DIN_connector) which requires an adapter to USB anyway. I'm not sure if it's reasonable to keep that port on the motherboards for PS/2 much longer, since for those who use old keyboards it's quite easy to get an small adapter (example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...s/2_to_usb_adapter-_-9SIA1HE0YP1328-_-Product ).

Funny story: because of your comment I researched how good USB could replace the superior PS/2 connectors. (it's okay, except in certain cases like NKRO or USB lag)
Then yesterday I ran into an example of USB is crap for keyboards if...

An older PC (5-6 year old) that had so much cables and USB-hubs stuck to it that it was an inconceivable gigantic pile of wires. The owner said his PC was broken since he couldn't do anything anymore, including enter BIOS or choose which OS to boot from.

After an hour of trying to find out what cable is even plugged in to the PC the solution was easy...
Unplug all USB devices suddenly the keyboard works again, PS/2 keyboard works with most of the cables connected. But the lag the USB keyboard suffered from having more than 16 USB devices plugged in (on 3 hubs) was so much it appeared the computer was completely stuck.

Off course this was a typical case of "a friend who knows computers" already tried fixing it by installing an additional windows on a second partition and made everything even worse...

@Sanamia : if it had 16 PS/2 devices attached it could have suffered even more ;) But really it depends on the motherboard and how it can handle USB devices. Using hubs might work if they are powered. Passive hubs take power from the USB port itself so there simply might be not enough power for all of those USB devices to operate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom