Welcome Thread [Archive]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
For you fellow web developers out there... ;D Recently I had to join a web developement and design training which lasted six months. I haden't got a clue (and still don't know much more) about it and thought, this training is good for nothing. You started to study this subject and finish it in 2011 / 2012... now I know for sure, my course is good for nothing.Anyway, welcome jclugston and ChA0s_OvErLoRd :beer:

Thanks for the welcome!Petra, the reason my Associate's takes so long is because it is, in and of itself, an incredibly large degree. Our degree here has me learning HTML/CSS, Visual Basic, Javascript, ASP, and PHP, not to mention Linux/Unix command line and Networking Technologies.Just the programming end of it could be easily finished in a semeseter, but I've got a lot of other classes for the "degree." Not only that, I want to get an Associates in Computer Graphic Design, which means I've got to take Photoshop, Flash, and various other classes.I'm actually getting two degrees, otherwise I'd expect my degree by 2010.No class is useless; knowledge is power! :)

i'm bart..49 from florida usa.. new to the Witcher.. but i love rpg's. i hope to have many hours of exciting gameplay.. and thx for your welcome

An other new member from overseas. The Witcher is taking the world, welcome Bart :beer:
jclugston said:
No class is useless; knowledge is power! :)
You are right but merely a few days for html/css, javasript, PH, flash, etc. isn't sufficient to gain real knowledge ;)

You are right but merely a few days for html/css, javasript, PH, flash, etc. isn't sufficient to gain real knowledge
You're wright but you can study it for 3 semesters and you are not going to have a clue what to do with it, if you don't really need it,you will simply forget it, like you forgot some history facts you learned in school.I learned php when i found job in internet software development company. And what i learned in collage was nothing to comapre towhat i learned on my job. Sure if was useful but when i came the first day I've seen how little i know :) .

Hello! I bought this game a few days ago and I've just begun chapter 3. I'm amazed how smooth this game run on my computer, especially with my graphics card below minimum requirements! All graphical settings at default except drawing distance and one more I forgot set to high, and it looks great. I've only had a couple of freezes and crashes so far. This is the most optimized game I've seen! I don't know how the makers managed to pull all this off with all the animations, AI and graphics to run this good. I'm totally addicted, which starting to affect my daily life with too little sleep, playing until my head hurts, which makes it even more difficult to solve the quests, because those are HARD! I've been struggling with the investigation in Vizima, ended up without finding a single evidence for ANY of the suspects. I couldn't figure out where to find any, even after looking in the Game Guide! I'm also having serious problems with finding necessary ingredients for some potions. I should probably ask about that in the spoiler section instead. I'm playing intermediate which says potions are useful but not necessary, still I find it close to impossible to get through some battles without potions to encance combat and vitality regeneration, so I think that's pretty hard, when it's difficult to find all the ingredients needed. Also I have a problem with memorizing names. As soon as an NPC has talked about some guys I forget what that character said. It's a lot of research sometimes browsing through the journal figuring out which character connects to who and what. Sigh. :)

Welcome WalkingWitcher! :wave:Firstly, it's great that you are enjoying the game. You may not have noticed yet, but there are actually three different major paths you can follow in this game, so you'll likely play it again (twice!) and then you'll see how different it goes when you are familiar with the environment and the fighting system.The descriptions of the levels of difficulty are accurate from the standpoint of someone who already played the game once, so i understand your occasional frustration when it seems harder than advertised. The best advice i can give you is to take your time and don't rush the game, and investigate everything and everyone you meet. If fights seem too hard, it's possible you've rushed into them ... back up a bit and do a few of the less taxing side quests, then try again when you have more XP :)

Welcome WalkingWitcher :wave:I'm sure you become accustomed to the game quite soon if the game already starts to affect your life. Don't despair of the quests in Act II, the investigations are a bit complex. It was the only time where I struggled as well and lost the survey :hmmm:

Just wanted to say Hello, I'm new to the game. Still trying to figure everything out and learn. Seems cool though. V

Hello World. (Sorry, old programming joke there).I'm new to the world of The Witcher. Spotted the game a month or so ago and thought it looked interesting, finally took the plunge this weekend after a friend recommended it as well. (Well, after he partially rebuilt his computer to play it, he recommended it. Seems the first time he tried, it got five seconds into the opening movie and the fan literally fell off his video card and landed on the sound card... )Fun game, I'm definately enjoying it, and it's pushed Fallout 3 to the side as far as occupying my freetime of late.Lesse, about me...I'm American, an Ohio resident. Graduated college already with an MBA in International Business and bachelors degrees in Business Admin and Information Systems....and after a couple years am still jobhunting as the economy sucks, particularly around here. Currently I'm considering enrolling in a paralegal certification program at the recommendation of a lawyer relative who thinks it would fit in well with my existing degrees and research/writing abilities....and also I'm a wannabe author. Currently have a couple novels (4.5 or so in one setting, three of which are part of a series; 2/3rds of one in another) written in first-draft format, I'm working on the final draft of one before I try shopping it to publishers. Most of my writing's been in contemporary fantasy (or urban fantasy or paranormal or whatever this week's name for the genre is... Think Dresden Files or most of Neil Gaiman's books if you want big name examples), though I've also tried my hand at steampunk and post-apoc in the past.Lesse, other than writing, hobbies include computer/video games (obviously), genealogy (family tree research), and trying not to be driven insane by two puppies (1-year-old beagle/hound mix, 4-month old bluetick/treeing walker coonhound mix...who is still teething...)

Hi Qiuxote, very nice to meet you!Here you can find something about some community members including me!http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=14188.0For me as a vet, thumbs up for being a pet owner ;)

FearIfayra said:
Hi Qiuxote, very nice to meet you!Here you can find something about some community members including me!http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=14188.0For me as a vet, thumbs up for being a pet owner ;)
Thanks :) As to pets: I've also got a couple of small aquariums. One with fish, another with aquatic snails, and a third with African dwarf frogs. I'm a forum moderator elsewhere online as to the aquatic frogs. Worked for eight months at a pet store as well, dealing with animals both common and exotic (baby alligators, lionfish, reticulated pythons, anaconda, electric eels, lorikeets...I let another employee deal with the scorpions and spiders though, especially the Goliath Bird-Eating Spider. I hate spiders....)

Welcome Quixote :wave: You have a lot of exciting occupations, escpecially your story writing ambitions. There are more wannabe authors here ;)
Quixote said:
Hello World. (Sorry, old programming joke there).
yes indeed this was a good start ;D

PetraSilie said:
Welcome Quixote :wave: You have a lot of exciting occupations, escpecially your story writing ambitions. There are more wannabe authors here ;)
PetraSilie said:
Hello World. (Sorry, old programming joke there).
yes indeed this was a good start ;D
*chuckles* Thanks. Friends in my writing group say the stories they've seen from me are good. And one keeps warning of fetching a metal bat if I don't stop talking them down, so... ;)Dunno as to how 'exciting' the past occupations have been really. Honestly, baby gators aren't difficult to deal with though I know the anaconda fanged at least one person (not me). As to the programming bit: Been a _long_ time since I've done any of that, but figured enough people would still get the reference. ;)

...ah, and just noticed both Petra and [Fear]_Ifayra are German, so a belated Guten Tag! as well :) Sadly, haven't had a chance to get over there myself (and my German language skills are a bit rusty), but my sister thoroughly enjoyed the country. She spent some time at the Goethe Institute (I don't recall which location, sorry) as well as visiting with her friends there she'd met at Oxford and at a dig site on Pompeii.

There are many Goethe Institutes in Germany ;Dabout novel writing... recently we had a discussion about story writing http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=6047.msg427430#msg427430 at our board tavern Hairy Bear. You are welcome to drop by. It's not a writer's tavern but off topic in general. But I think soon we can start a writers tavern :)

PetraSilie said:
There are many Goethe Institutes in Germany ;Dabout novel writing... recently we had a discussion about story writing http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=6047.msg427430#msg427430 at our board tavern Hairy Bear. You are welcome to drop by. It's not a writer's tavern but off topic in general. But I think soon we can start a writers tavern :)
Danke, I'll give it a look :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom