Welcome Thread [Archive]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest 2091327

Volsung said:
And good for you going back to the gym, Pangaea. I haven't been in about two years as well. The only thing keeping me in shape is sex :p/> Was that too inappropriate?

Hahah, at least you're honest about it :D It helps, obviously, but I'd like to see the 6-pack again, and unless I start hiring out my body, I don't think sex will cut it

Perhaps not Smintheus, but I've heard too many horror stories, and it's useful to think about these matters in the digital age, particularly in light of the popularity of sites like Facebook, Twatter, Instagram and similar services. This is admittedly for very young girls, but you also have the terrible stories of a young lass (say 12-13 years old) sending a picture of herself to somebody she thinks is a young boy or another girl, and then she gets blackmailed and has to keep sending such pictures for the first ones not to be spread to her school. Stuff like that isn't cool, and it can be avoided if one are more careful about what is shared to essentially a public sphere.

Then there are other types of embarrassments, like the parents of a future boy/girlfriend seeing a nude picture of you from some party in a beach resort, or the employer of a job you want doing a search for your name and seeing similarly "inappropriate" images online.

KnightofPhoenix said:
Ha! Well the tattoo would be pretty philosophical and symbolic (I already know what it will be), so it's not completely OOC.

There is such a thing as OOC in real-life?

You're saying you're playing a character or pretending to be someone else rather than just being yourself?

No offense intended here, just, you know, I'm a little confused about your statement of (not) being OOC while talking about your real-life self.

Maybe he suffers from some kind of personality disorder and, like the Joker, reinvents himself everyday. Maybe some of his characters are recurring, and getting a tattoo wouldn't be "OOC" for the one typing at that moment.

But just you wait until he wakes up the next morning and the anti tattoo, anti symbolism personality kicks in. Then people will be shocked, as that would be pretty "OOC". But when it is the turn of his philosophical persona, that one will probably enjoy himself again, for the symbolism more than the actual tattoo.

Guest 2091327

Talking about tattoos, wouldn't it be cool if they had a touch of Torment about them, and would increase wisdom or intelligence?

I suppose they can increase Charisma :D

Never been a fan of tattoo's, especially on women with nice skin. I see it as a blemish. Maybe that's my art school days talking, where I'd be painting a beautiful girl and I had to mentally erase the garish dragon tattoo on her sacrum.

slimgrin said:
Never been a fan of tattoo's, especially on women with nice skin. I see it as a blemish. Maybe that's my art school days talking, where I'd be painting a beautiful girl and I had to mentally erase the garish dragon tattoo on her sacrum.

You're not the only one.

Pangaea said:
Talking about tattoos, wouldn't it be cool if they had a touch of Torment about them, and would increase wisdom or intelligence?

Wait they didn't??? crap why did I get all those tattoos???

Oh now I know... So someone can "read" my body and raise their intelligence :rolleyes:/>

Someday I should really get a elaborate description of the The theory of relativity on my ass... Now that would be awesome, Might need a bigger ass... But could lead to the first ever peer reviewed ass in history... />

Volsung said:
Maybe he suffers from some kind of personality disorder and, like the Joker, reinvents himself everyday. Maybe some of his characters are recurring, and getting a tattoo wouldn't be "OOC" for the one typing at that moment.

But just you wait until he wakes up the next morning and the anti tattoo, anti symbolism personality kicks in. Then people will be shocked, as that would be pretty "OOC". But when it is the turn of his philosophical persona, that one will probably enjoy himself again, for the symbolism more than the actual tattoo.

You the funny thing is my psychology/anthropology teacher at the university where I studied truly did believe that we, ALL OF US, play characters all the time.

He said there is no such thing as being yourself, because the self is not just 1 rock-solid entity. He believed that we are all actors and we all have a whole bunch of characters that we play depending on the situation and which people are in front of us. And most of us don't even realize it.

So we think of us as 1 person, 1 persona, but really we're a whole bunch of personas in one body.

Just think about it, the Volsung on the internet is probably not the same Volsung as the Volsung who visits his mother, or the Volsung who goes to work. They're all different Volsungs, who all behave (slightly) different. And all these different Volsungs are all characters that you want to be in those situations.

That's what my teacher believes. I do not necessarily agree with him.

Luc0s said:
You the funny thing is my psychology/anthropology teacher at the university where I studied truly did believe that we, ALL OF US, play characters all the time.

He said there is no such thing as being yourself, because the self is not just 1 rock-solid entity. He believed that we are all actors and we all have a whole bunch of characters that we play depending on the situation and which people are in front of us. And most of us don't even realize it.

So we think of us as 1 person, 1 persona, but really we're a whole bunch of personas in one body.

Just think about it, the Volsung on the internet is probably not the same Volsung as the Volsung who visits his mother, or the Volsung who goes to work. They're all different Volsungs, who all behave (slightly) different. And all these different Volsungs are all characters that you want to be in those situations.

That's what my teacher believes. I do not necessarily agree with him.

Your effort to remain what you are, is what limits you

Out of Character.

And that prof seems to have a very simplistic view on what a persona is, when he claims we adopt different personas in different contexts, while it's far more sensible to say that personas are complex and multi-faceted, including a variety of behaviors for different circumstances.

So KoP may behave differently depending on the context, but it's the same KoP.

KnightofPhoenix said:
Out of Character.

And that prof seems to have a very simplistic view on what a persona is, when he claims we adopt different personas in different contexts, while it's far more sensible to say that personas are complex and multi-faceted, including a variety of behaviors for different circumstances.

So KoP may behave differently depending on the context, but it's the same KoP.

I agree! I like changing my look just because I feel my life is changing along the time too. Having an attitude in a determinated moment an the opposite in another context is not meaning contradiction but acting according with your experience and feelings or mood. Attitude and character are two very differents thinks often get confused, one has the attitude for a while and it can be transient but character is hard, very hard to change, assuming one can change it.

Guest 2091327

slimgrin said:

I tend to have that view too actually, though not quite as strongly these days as in the past. The body is beautiful as it is, and mostly a tattoo will just detract from it, in my opinion. Naturally that is not always the case, and it depends on the tattoo, size, where it's positioned. A small tattoo with strong personal meaning on the shoulder or upper arm can be nice for example, but a dragon all across a woman's back or front just looks tacky and detracts from the natural beauty.

With all the tattoo shows that was (is?) on TV, it seems like everybody and their dog wanted a tattoo, as it was the fashionable thing to do, and these days NOT having a tattoo is almost unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom