Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't have been an e-book reader better for that and cheaper though? Also better for the eyes?

At the time I got the iPad? No. There weren't any decent dedicated eReaders around. I had a Sony before it, but it was a pain to load books onto. Kindle wasn't available in my country, which meant it would have been a pain to load books onto....

And after that, I already had the iPad, so nothing else could have been cheaper.
(@Gilrond - Yeah, definitely embarassing to own an Apple anything, but I pride myself in never upgrading it. I also had an iPhone, but only because I worked for the telco who distributed them, and they gave away the 1st-gen ones to staff when the 2nd-gen ones came out. The phone concerned is still working. :) )

@Dragonbird : At some point I stopped using any subsidized devices and just went for those that suit my needs / requirements. It's more to pay, but you get more of what you want and have less creepy stuff attached (at least if you avoid closed systems as much as possible, which might be not an option in case of baseband firmware and so on).

The internet in my hotel seems to have a particular problem with the Witcher forums :( It has been a struggle to get through.
When we arrived in Spain for our new year skiing holiday, my father slipped on some ice, and it turns out he has broken a rib. So no skiing for him this week. I feel so bad for him because he drove us all the way from England to Spain, and now he can't do anything but lie in the hotel room. At least his pain medication is strong.

Your father has my empathy, broken ribs are awful.

@Dragonbird : At some point I stopped using any subsidized devices and just went for those that suit my needs / requirements. It's more to pay, but you get more of what you want and have less creepy stuff attached (at least if you avoid closed systems as much as possible, which might be not an option in case of baseband firmware and so on).

It wasn't "subsidised", it was free. No contract requirement (my contract was with another telco, I hated the company I worked for). And in a country that has laws that explicitly ban telcos from any other kind of lock-in, so it was jailbreaked immediately.

Last edited:
The only i-device I ever owned was an iPod nano that I won in a *cough*Sun Microsystems *cough* party. It was pretty good actually and worked well in Linux for file transferring.

In general though the problem with Apple is they sell you the hardware and the software, and most of their current devices come with serious lock-ins.

As far as tablets go I'm very happy with my 2013 Nexus 7. Despite of Android, is truly a great device, and serves me well for gaming, communications, and reading. I have to read scientific papers all the time and this is the best way to so it (so far).

Just stood up to my ankles in snow to smoke a piece of salmon while we had -5°C. Damn never had such a finely smoked salmon before. Smokey, still not really cooked perfectly pinkish and juicy. Temperature was really low in the kettle grill... Maybe I should get more salmon and smoke it for new year.

Which country is that?

Singapore.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_lock#Singapore
If you get some kind of subsidy by signing a contract, they can hit you financially for breaking the contract early, but other than that, you can do what you want. Including using the phone on a different network. They also forced the telcos to implement a number retention system so that if you change network, you can keep your old number.

16C today, going down to 8 tonight, that's as cold as it gets here. Snow is a distant memory. Re-potted some geraniums today, and we'll be planting spring flowers soon.

We've got a storm passing, we're in the eye at the moment. It went down to 24C here last night, still only about 26C - it feels really cold.

Last edited:
We'll be close to 20 below zero tomorrow morning.

@Blothulfur: Yesterday I went for a short night hike. Being among the pine trees in the snow with the moon shining, it has an almost magical quality for me. I love how winter transforms the landscape.

Last edited:

1.Triss - ME ;P
2.Dandelion - @senteria
3.Geralt - @Synvael
4.Yarpen - @King_Hochmeister

Yeah Teleport for the win.... Seriously I finished 2 main quests and had 50 points before they even finished their first one.

Edit: And I would finish sooner and with bigger advantage if I would not sit and fuck around with their sidequests.

Yeah Teleport for the win.... Seriously I finished 2 main quests and had 50 points before they even finished their first one.

Edit: And I would finish sooner and with bigger advantage if I would not sit and fuck around with their sidequests.

AND you completed everyone's side quest.

Says the one using a 'good fortune card' that steals people's clues tokens/leads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom