Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
IfayranaElerionn said:
Too much sun downunder :evil:
Hot enough to cook your breakfast on the bonnet of your car.(Winter average temp 25 ,3 months ,with 9 months of Summer going up to very high 40's) I hate the heat ,cold weather is better you can always wear more clothes . We have no need for Winter wardrobe only Summer wardrobe all year round.

TheSilver said:
Well, one of my instructors at the ATC used to ahve a cup that says "I'ts hard to be humble, when you're German"...Said he got it at the local Oktoberfest.I'd wager the guess that most Americans take every opportunity they get to drink :beer:
*chuckles* Well, in this area you've got a lot of folks with German ancestry, Silver ;)To quote from one of my college professors, who was discussing why Cleveland is so split geographically (on one occasion comparing it to Berlin): "Cleveland was settled in three parts. The West side was settled by the Germans, the East side by the Italians and Jews, and the South side by the various Slovaks (in this case the term was being used to refer to the various groups in the former Czechoslovakia, Poland, and other surrounding countries). The East side was white collar, the South and West were blue collar."....we also have a fair-sized Irish population who, from the St. Patrick's Day celebrations, likely don't mind the excuse for a beer-related festival either. :beer:As to the phrase "It's hard to be humble, when you're German": My grandmother (of German ancestry) used to use phrases like "I'm German. Draw me a map." ....meanwhile my uncle (her son) was once conspiring with the German employees at the international company that employed him, to try and locate a Prussian battle flag to hang between their offices for the express purpose of annoying the French employees. ;)

Thanks for the links :) I'm totally amazed to learn that Bavarian Oktoberfest culture has such a long tradition in the US, especially Cleveland and they formed Schuhplattler dancing groups and love the "Trachten" which are also popular in Austria and Switzerland btw.And... argh, I don't like Sauerkraut :dead: perhaps fresh when it's not cooked as a hot meal... because I had too much Sauerkraut when I was a kid. My mother liked/s it *shivers*

PetraSilie said:
Thanks for the links :) I'm totally amazed to learn that Bavarian Oktoberfest culture has such a long tradition in the US, especially Cleveland and they formed Schuhplattler dancing groups and love the "Trachten" which are also popular in Austria and Switzerland btw.And... argh, I don't like Sauerkraut :dead: perhaps fresh when it's not cooked as a hot meal... because I had too much Sauerkraut when I was a kid. My mother liked/s it *shivers*
No prob :) Cleveland area has a long history of folks with Central/Eastern European ancestry, as noted in my post to Silver. ...probably had a lot to do in part with the steel plants (now closed : P ) and other manufacturing industries (also now closed : P ) and being a major port city on the Great Lakes...as such, it was a good location for immigrants looking for work. And those immigrants brought their traditions and foods along. There's still areas of the city refered to by locals as 'Little Italy', 'Slavic Village' (Czech and Polish neighborhoods, mostly), etc.As to sauerkraut... I never liked it growing up, but now I think it's okay as long as it's one of the brands sold in bags rather than jars at the grocery store (I don't know why, but the bagged brands have a different taste than the ones sealed in jars) and the sauerkraut served by both Der Braumeister and Seven Roses at the Oktoberfest here last September was great. Usually when having it at home, I mix in chopped kielbasa with it and serve it with pierogies. :9 ...and speaking of food, the local grocery store's bakery section has started selling boxes of pazcki for the Easter season. :) (as to paczki and Cleveland: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C4%85czki#Paczki_Day )

Ratbag said:
Help deja vu my wife has turned into my Mother inlaw?
Bad mouths would now say that that is inevitable, but not me :whistle:Well, I thought I should share the joy: So everybody grab their tankards and here's the dwarvenmead, or tea or fruitjuice, depending on what you prefer :beer:I just got an acceptance letter/notification from one of the University's I applied to.I feel special now, so party folks 'til y'all fall over :dead:

Congratulations
TheSilver said:
I feel special now, so party folks 'til y'all fall over :dead:
Alright... let's party

TheSilver said:
Well, I thought I should share the joy: So everybody grab their tankards and here's the dwarvenmead, or tea or fruitjuice, depending on what you prefer :beer:I just got an acceptance letter/notification from one of the University's I applied to.
Well, of COURSE you did! I'd think lots of universities would want you ... if nothing else, you'll be an education for the other students. ;DCongratulations, Silver! May we know which university has demonstrated its taste and perception?

Well thanks folks.Well, this was one of the rather easier ones... Didn't need to write an essay or so.As that, it is my default if nobody else wants me :DThe other ones are going to be much more harder to get into, but I think i can make it.@Corylea, it's the local University, the U of U.Any refills? :beer:

Well, thanks Gamwidow and Cassandra.Now I just need to wait for other Colleges to reply and then decide.Anyway, it's likely I won't be around the next week or two, since my prodcution is officially starting next Wednesday.I'll be dead afterwards :dead: :beer:

TheSilver said:
Well, thanks Gamwidow and Cassandra.Now I just need to wait for other Colleges to reply and then decide.Anyway, it's likely I won't be around the next week or two, since my prodcution is officially starting next Wednesday.I'll be dead afterwards
Silver, just a hint - you're supposed to use blank cartridges on stage, not live ones. Remind the person who's shooting you.

SimonBrooke said:
Silver, just a hint - you're supposed to use blank cartridges on stage, not live ones.
That explains why my head hurts the last few rehearsals.
SimonBrooke said:
Remind the person who's shooting you.
Well, I'm the one to throw thunderbolts around and drink vodka :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom