Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, I have no problem talking about me. Nothing really intersting though. I have recently got my dream job, I think this is the best. I am a software developer, now game developer for a small startup company. This is the job that I really enjoy. Best I could have imagined. (Except developer for CDPR of course :p )
I am still pretty joung. I had the big advantage to get a duality education here in germany. Don't know if you know this system. I am quite sure this germany is the only country having this. You can study at university - in my case Scientific Programming - and do a job education, both together, in the normal 3 year that would both take alone. So you get double in the same time than one. It is very difficult, very much work. For me, I had university every second week, got homework and things to learn for the other weeks, where I worked 40 hours in my job.
My job was software developer in a IT business application company. Was quite interesting, though not the thing I want to do my whole life. Business is too... business for me xD
The good point is I studied math and informatics, both my favorite subjects in school :p
Other than that, I am pretty ordinary.

That´s pretty cool, actually. It´s great to get education AND job experience at the same time, and with time to expand your career once you´ve finished.
Is that some kind of government supported program or something like that?

And also great that you landed in such a cool job after you graduated! Let us know when a game developed by you is released ;p

@SerieLis 4 years :shocked: We had military obligation for many years. It was cancelled two years ago, and replaced by voluntiry military service, if you want. That was really needed here. And even befor, the longest time were 10 month, shortened to 6 or 8 for the most people.
That sounds really bad. Losing 4 years is pretty much, I would say o_O
What is your story line? :)
World creators are much needed for most of the games. It seems to be just more difficult to find a job there. You need a few people writing stories, but many to develop the code.
I admire people who really can create things on their own. That's something I never accomplished. I had tried to do some games with my own mechanics. A card game, a simple computer game, 2d things, even writing a book. I stole a lot. Smashed together things I have read/seen somewhere. I know my short stories are much liked by many people. That's something I can do. But more... I am not creative enough for that.

Yeah. I know that, I am quite different, I just don't tell that openly to everyone :p You get that fast enough when you get to know me.

I think you should keep that dream :) That isn't impossible. And it is something you can work towards.

---------- Updated at 08:58 PM ----------

@GuyNwah You are right. Even if English had replaced german as the most important language, it can help a lot to know german, especially for science. Not only for the past things, but also for today. Yeah, many german universities are switching to english with the important things. For example their bachelor and master thesis, etc. But still many scientific dissertations are written in german.

And you see it now even with The Witcher 3, many of the newest news, about graphics, about tweaks etc, are from german sites :p So to speak german is very helpful xD

I heard the first time about Grimm's Law *lol*
One thing you have to know about germans: Many can speak the language very correct in every form, but most don't know a bit about grammatics or language history/evolution :p

That's true. I heard thogh that the most troubling are gender (Der Baum, Das Haus, Die Tomate) and sentence syntax. Verbs, false friends, all that stuff can be learned. But you must get used to the general structure of this language.

How many years have you learned german, if I may ask? And how well do you speak it, if you must say it in words?

@Wolfsblvt A fantasy story, with a quite new mythology that i developed...new creatures, "monsters".
3 stories have been in progress.
"The first bridge"
"The Architect of tomorrow"
"Fathers' Chair"
Even though names can be always changed...for now it is what i'm working on. (Currently on The first bridge)
I just hope i'll be able to finish them...but i'm more worried for not being able to enter this place for that long time.

Well once you live through few "small" wars...there's a reason for an obligation like this...but i'm serving for 4 years due my contract.

@gedierond Yeah, that's the best thing that I have could done. It was quite challanging, three hard years, but it was worth it.
I mean, my grades at university are not the best, I must admit, but I am considered as "the elite" of graduates. Most companies in germany require study - at least Bachelor - nowadays. And many people study, so there is a big range of possible candidates.
But most companies also want experience. Real job experience. A university can't give that to you. And here I come, as a finished Bachelor student, with three years of job experience. I think you can get what advantage that is.

I think the government supports the companies that do that, ye. But it is most a cooperation between companies with job education places and universities wich offer study pathes for that dual system. So the companies even pay the study fees for the people that work for them.
You have to apply to one of those cooperation partner companies, and they will pay for you and subscribe you to the university.

Sadly, it is a very new program. First ones were maybe 5 or 8 years ago, and even today are very few study paths where you can do that dual system. Mostly the scientific things.

Thank you =)
I really enjoy the job. We develop a online multi platform game though, so maybe nothing that will interest most of you :p Nothing with fighting. The general quest is to colonize the mars. You have to quarry ressources, transport them, build new fabrics, etc. With other peoples together. Default browsergame system.

---------- Updated at 09:16 PM ----------

@SerieLis Fantasy is best! Sounds interesting :) Do you just develop the world and background, or do you also write whole stories in that world?

Yeah, I think we will miss you. At least I will miss you ._.

Where do you live exactly?
I don't think there is ever a reason to force people to serve at the military and use a weapon. I am not anti-war or anti-violence... But i don't think it is good to force people that do not want to live like this.
In our country for example, the obligatory military service doesn't contain any war things. You will NOT get to other countries, no war zones, nothing. You will serve your duty here in your homeland, doing training, some internal stuff, etc. And if you like the military, you can stay and continue the obligatory military service on free will as a real military guy.

@Wolfsblvt I write a whole story line, may not be the best, or the most original, but if i like it, that what matters.
As far as i remember, i told you i'll check if something can be done about keeping in touch, which i'll let you know before the time will come...
Real life location, well...i'll discuss this in private conversations mostly...don't like to share it that much...
It may require forcing in this case when you're required to defend several fronts at the same time...just in case...and also helps people to grow up a bit...and experience the life more independently.

@SerieLis Most important is that you enjoy what you are doing. The story must not be original, it must be made with love and passion. That's the most important thing. That's the reason why even many Indie games are better than generic Ubisoft games for example. You can feel when something is made of passion.

Yeah, you told me that. I will wait of for that.
I haven't been here very active in the past, but I really enjoy it. Hope I can find some people to talk to regularly :)
Nah, you don't have to say that. I have just asked. I keep asking questions, sometimes also very personal, but I never expect them to be answered, so no worries.
I don't know your situation in your country. That may be right, but forcing is never the right way, in my opinion.
Yes, experience is good, sometimes even forced. But that's what was in our country in the past. One year, but no real war service. So you can learn, and many people said that it really helped them.
I don't know how I think about people forced to deal with war though.

@SerieLis 4 years :shocked: We had military obligation for many years. It was cancelled two years ago, and replaced by voluntiry military service, if you want. That was really needed here. And even befor, the longest time were 10 month, shortened to 6 or 8 for the most people.
That sounds really bad. Losing 4 years is pretty much, I would say o_O
What is your story line? :)
World creators are much needed for most of the games. It seems to be just more difficult to find a job there. You need a few people writing stories, but many to develop the code.
I admire people who really can create things on their own. That's something I never accomplished. I had tried to do some games with my own mechanics. A card game, a simple computer game, 2d things, even writing a book. I stole a lot. Smashed together things I have read/seen somewhere. I know my short stories are much liked by many people. That's something I can do. But more... I am not creative enough for that.

Yeah. I know that, I am quite different, I just don't tell that openly to everyone :p You get that fast enough when you get to know me.

I think you should keep that dream :) That isn't impossible. And it is something you can work towards.

---------- Updated at 08:58 PM ----------

@GuyNwah You are right. Even if English had replaced german as the most important language, it can help a lot to know german, especially for science. Not only for the past things, but also for today. Yeah, many german universities are switching to english with the important things. For example their bachelor and master thesis, etc. But still many scientific dissertations are written in german.

And you see it now even with The Witcher 3, many of the newest news, about graphics, about tweaks etc, are from german sites :p So to speak german is very helpful xD

I heard the first time about Grimm's Law *lol*
One thing you have to know about germans: Many can speak the language very correct in every form, but most don't know a bit about grammatics or language history/evolution :p

That's true. I heard thogh that the most troubling are gender (Der Baum, Das Haus, Die Tomate) and sentence syntax. Verbs, false friends, all that stuff can be learned. But you must get used to the general structure of this language.

How many years have you learned german, if I may ask? And how well do you speak it, if you must say it in words?

I studied German for 5 years and also spent one year at university in Göttingen. This was 1973-74, all instruction was in German back then, and I was expected to present in German at seminars. It was a long time ago now, but I can still pass for (a cultural dinosaur of a) native after a few days of warm-up.

Last time I had occasion to speak much German, we were on a choir tour of Italy and flew out and back on Lufthansa. Lufthansa flight attendants have a reputation for being, well, efficient. Everybody else hated the flight. I chatted up our flight attendant in German, and what do you know, my wine glass was efficiently kept full all the way home from Frankfurt.

Anyway, I think SerieLis is from Israel, and Israel has a pressing need for self-defense that, say, NATO countries don't. There's a wonderful movie from last year, "Zero Motivation", about serving in the IDF.

Last edited:
@GuyNwah That's far before anything I have know from germany xD It is even before the Wiedervereinigung of germany. But yeah, this time back german was really important. As I have said, today it gets a bit less important. There are some universities in germany and some study paths that are totally in english. Bachelor thesis' should be in english as well in many international paths.
But nice that you can speak german =) Where do you come from? And what has lead to you studying german, if I may ask?

Ah. I don't know much about Israel, I must admit ._.
I am a bit informed with the general situation, but not very detailed. I think we germans don't know very much about this specifical situations. There are other things we learn in school, more important for our country intself.

@GuyNwah That's far before anything I have know from germany xD It is even before the Wiedervereinigung of germany. But yeah, this time back german was really important. As I have said, today it gets a bit less important. There are some universities in germany and some study paths that are totally in english. Bachelor thesis' should be in english as well in many international paths.
But nice that you can speak german =) Where do you come from? And what has lead to you studying german, if I may ask?

Ah. I don't know much about Israel, I must admit ._.
I am a bit informed with the general situation, but not very detailed. I think we germans don't know very much about this specifical situations. There are other things we learn in school, more important for our country intself.

I'm a California boy. Germany is not much like California (though there are a lot of German expats here). I studied biochem back in those days. And my profs there, one had a Nobel Prize in genetics, two others were the leading experts on bacterial fermentation and gene activation. I could have stayed on in the third prof's lab, and got my degree there; maybe I should have, but that's a road not taken.

I'm a California boy. Germany is not much like California (though there are a lot of German expats here). I studied biochem back in those days. And my profs there, one had a Nobel Prize in genetics, two others were the leading experts on bacterial fermentation and gene activation. I could have stayed on in the third prof's lab, and got my degree there; maybe I should have, but that's a road not taken.

Ah yeah, California, the most known state for us germans xD Most of course cause of Los Angeles and all the american films and television series. Maybe that's the reason many german expats are there. (New word learned. "expats". I really improve my english here :p )

What road have you taken instead?
And how do you like germany? :)

@Wolfsblvt well, the less we know there better we sleep.
I do not wish any situation like this on anyone, therefore it is best not to discuss about it...and because it includes politics which would be avoided.
Other than that, going to finish act 1 this weekend...would want to share it...when the time comes. ^^

Would appreciate if people would actually consider reading it...:)

@SerieLis And the less we know, the dumber we are. That's the reason why dumb people have so few problems and are often very happy, whilst intelligent persons often have mental issues.
I think I am more one of the second.

Avoid politics? Sounds like Geralt :p

Would be happy when you share it. Just contact me :) You know my username here, I can also give you my email address.
I would be glad to read and give suggestions/a review, if you want.

@Wolfsblvt Sounds great, would do it for sure.
Mental issues...well i have anger issues...allergic to stupidity...that's why i have boxing for ^^

---------- Post merged on 23-05-2015 at 12:23 AM ----------

I do have to apologize for i must take off, and call it for today.
It was fun being here, and hopefully this could be done more often.
Have a good one folks.
Tell the innkeeper, that i ordered the next round for everyone.

@SerieLis Yeah, sorry, I am quite casually here at the moment, many to do at the same time :-

Great, I will count on you remembering that :)

Good night for you. I hope we see us again here. I will be online for sure :p

I'm just going to post a quick rant here, sorry if this comes across as annoying, but I need to vent, OK?

I'm just sitting here on my bed and having difficulty falling to sleep. The mattress is really bloody uncomfortable and I just know I'm going to be exhausted and grumpy in the morning. Old negative thoughts are coming back to me again after a long absence, damn it's depressing and pissing me off that these hopeless feelings won't just fuck off! I don't want to be sad and crying into my pillow dammit! It's coming up to 1AM now, and I'm wide awake with a light head and I don't want to bother anyone else in the house with my problems. Shit, I'm so damned weak.

I'm just going to post a quick rant here, sorry if this comes across as annoying, but I need to vent, OK?

I'm just sitting here on my bed and having difficulty falling to sleep. The mattress is really bloody uncomfortable and I just know I'm going to be exhausted and grumpy in the morning. Old negative thoughts are coming back to me again after a long absence, damn it's depressing and pissing me off that these hopeless feelings won't just fuck off! I don't want to be sad and crying into my pillow dammit! It's coming up to 1AM now, and I'm wide awake with a light head and I don't want to bother anyone else in the house with my problems. Shit, I'm so damned weak.

You are in luck because I happen to be someone suffering from insomnia and depression as well so it's alright, you can talk with me about it. :)

First of all, you need to stop thinking you're weak. Such thoughts will only make it worse for you. You probably aren't weak at all.

Second, get a new mattress. A good mattress goes a long way and will really help. It won't fix your insomnia but at least you won't feel tired and grumpy when you wake up.

Consider seeing a therapist or psychologist. I did and it helped me greatly. There is nothing wrong with admitting you need help and even if you just need someone to talk to a therapist can be great for that. They are professionals so they know how to deal with these things. I was really skeptical about it myself at first but when I finally manned up and decided to get in contact with a psychologist I realized it was wrong for me to be skeptical. Visiting a psychologist might not help for you, but you can at least try, right? You have nothing to lose!

What are these old negative thoughts you're having if I may ask?

Friend, know that we're here for you, and we will do what we can to help you get through this. If you want to talk, we can listen. If there's anything we can do, just ask.

Pour your bad thinks away here. Often our troubles are not in the problem but in the lack of listeners.
I don't want to be sad and crying into my pillow dammit!
Right! This is the hardest and most important first step, it is possible that generous people of this forum can not solve your underlying problem but to comfort you enough to regain a little confidence in yourself to deal with these dark thoughts.

Oh! And smile! It helps with the production of dopamine and endorphin ;)

Thanks for support guys, it really means a lot to me. :)

@luc0s

I've spoken to psychologists before and even though I ended up better afterwards, I always regressed back into depression after a few days. As for the thoughts I get, they are entirely self-hating, feeling useless, hopeless and feeling lonely. Not exactly the best of cocktails, is it?

Thanks for support guys, it really means a lot to me. :)

@luc0s

I've spoken to psychologists before and even though I ended up better afterwards, I always regressed back into depression after a few days. As for the thoughts I get, they are entirely self-hating, feeling useless, hopeless and feeling lonely. Not exactly the best of cocktails, is it?

No, they are not as constructive. But they are not so unusual. The more curious, sensitive and intelligent a person is most affect him those feelings. It is what people usually called asocial person. The solution, know to put limit to find answers to all the whys that we create for ourselves. All of us, to a greater or lesser extent, we usually have low self-esteem, because we are always compared from All of us, to a greater or lesser extent, we usually have low self-esteem, because we are always compared from birth (even before: P) with someone who is supposed did better. That's a lie. Nobody lives exactly the same experience nor one's lives equally.

Discover this is not easy or free. Yes, I am unique, but what am I? Where do I fit in? I can personally tell you not to look at what awaits anyone from you. You can never satisfy everyone, even yourself. Relax, breathe and think no one knows the future, so, despair makes no sense because nobody knows what will happen the next minute and if one will be able cope or not that future.

Dammit. I'm sorry... Look at me.... what am I saying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom