Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ach! It's truly fine to see some discussion of accents, here! I must confess, I've always found them fascinating!

Me too! My favorite accent is what people have in North America, I know that doesn't exactly narrow it down because even there are many variations but anyway. I managed to even learn it through movies and games and I think it is convincing enough because some people that I talked to even asked me if I'm from the US, that felt good haha.

Never cared much about my ancestors but I've heard the stories of one of my great grandmothers being a witch, the creepy kind (minus the warts and hunchback, I've seen pictures).

There is a history of the McClungs; it goes down as far as my great-grandfather. They seem to have been all the sort of Presbyterian you do not cross. This story is told of one of the McClung brothers who emigrated from County Antrim,

"The following well-authenticated story is told of James McClung: Soon after his emigration to Virginia, while in the timber making rails with which to fence his farm, he was attacked by five savage Indians, who proposed to relieve him of his scalp. He asked permission to finish splitting his log before being scalped. His request was granted. Under the circumstances he found the log very difficult to split. He asked the Indians to assist him. Thinking they should have his scalp all the sooner, they consented. He placed them on opposite sides of the log, with their fingers in the split, giving them orders to pull with all their might while he should drive in the wedge. Then with a desperate stroke he knocked out the wedge, causing the log to close upon their fingers, thus holding them fast while he, amidst their shrieks and curses, dispatched them with his axe."

Since this story is also told of Daniel Boone and a number of other worthies, the author was careful to note that numerous locals in the vicinity of what is now Fairfield, Virginia had written that they witnessed the aftermath, saw the graves of the Indians on the McClung farm, or never heard the story told of anyone other than James McClung.

Very interesting story. It reminds me of a number of folktales, actually, wherein the protagonist manages to trap a dwarf, devil, or other unsavory character, by catching his beard in a split log or tree-stump. That's not to say that James McClung's tale couldn't be true -- it merely resembles an old motif.

Pics or it didn't happen.
Well, nothing happened...Yet.
But she doesn't like boats for some reason. :D
But she looks perfect...Give my thanks to character design department ;)

Me too! My favorite accent is what people have in North America, I know that doesn't exactly narrow it down because even there are many variations but anyway. I managed to even learn it through movies and games and I think it is convincing enough because some people that I talked to even asked me if I'm from the US, that felt good haha.

That's an interesting achievement. It's rather the reverse with me, though, as I live in the States, speak a few different languages, study etymology in each one, and have adopted a few different pronunciations: as a result, my 'American' accent is rather inconsistent, and people have often mistaken me for a visiting European.

---------- Updated at 10:51 AM ----------

Well, nothing happened...Yet.
But she doesn't like boats for some reason. :D
But she looks perfect...Give my thanks to character design department ;)

Congratulations! You've been waiting a while for her to appear.

I can't believe that scumbag Blatter has been re-elected as FIFA president. Do those people have no decency at all? :rly?:

Old boys will be old boys, or something like that. Office in such organizations is based on longstanding relationships, not merit or probity or other irrelevancies.
:hmm:

Today we had a very special guest in our club - great warrior of the boxing ring Max Cohen. In the amateur boxing Max was the only Jewish fighter who ever won the Pan Arab games. In the professional boxing he was ranked one of the strongest boxers in the world. Twice he fought with famous International Boxing Hall of Fame member Emile Griffith and in the 70-s he became a top contender for the world title in the middleweight class. It was a great pleasure to meet this wonderful person and to listen to his story! Special thanks to the friend of Max for making this happen and to one of our members who helped a lot in organization of this event. It may not be the last time that Max would be visiting our place and he may come more to share his knowledge and experience with our young boxers.

At our club...group photo with Max on the center (All grown up of course...), i'm at the back on somewhere on the left - to make it easier, I'm the tallest there. (The same size as the blue "sack")

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom