Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry "The Stainless Steel Rat" Harrison did all the writing I'd assume, but Minsky made it the best AI book I ever read, no doubt.

@Guy N'wah; A gift for you, I just knew there had been something recently accompanying the pins & glasses:

Lots of Guinness ads are location specific, interesting collection available on that page. Unfortunately it seems no one has upped the Northern Ireland one I mentioned but in words: Imagine a black screen, GUESS appears in familiar gold typeface, INN drops from top of the screen, forming Guinness, and finaly the tagline "drop in for a Guinness". Simple but effective :p

Attachments

• tony-benn.jpg
    tony-benn.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 50
So, I am thoroughly engrossed and horrified by this missing plane in Asia. I keep hoping they'll find it with everyone alive. Looks likely it was hijacked now, and maybe it even landed. If that's the case, I hope they can reason with the hijackers and get everyone freed. Or maybe it did go down in the ocean. Terrible situation, the families must be going through hell.

It's a strange fucking occurrence, all kinds of satellites looking and can't find it.

Probably has scared a few frequent flyers from ever boarding a plane again.

So, I am thoroughly engrossed and horrified by this missing plane in Asia. I keep hoping they'll find it with everyone alive. Looks likely it was hijacked now, and maybe it even landed. If that's the case, I hope they can reason with the hijackers and get everyone freed. Or maybe it did go down in the ocean. Terrible situation, the families must be going through hell.

I have been trying to withhold judgment until there are sufficient confirmed facts, not mere uncorroborated observations, to make a well-founded guess as to what may have happened. A great deal of outrage has been spent on mere conjectures, just to sell TV air time or newspapers.

Hijacking is to me one possibility among several, and an inside job is among the plausible hijacking scenarios. But a fault causing progressive avionics failures and pilot incapacitation due to hypoxia is equally explanatory of the facts that can be taken as in any way being sure.

Sadly, I do not think the plane will be found intact or the passengers alive. A triple-7 is a two-hundred-foot metal albatross, there are only a handful of places in MH 370's range that one could be landed and hidden, and these have been examined repeatedly by searchers already. Whether it turns out to be a ghost flight or a hijacking gone bad, or even, gods forbid, a pilot suicide, I would be very surprised if it were not on the bottom of the Indian Ocean.

I strongly object to the way the Malaysian authorities have been treated in the press, and I would remind all participants that inflammatory, unfounded, or even excessive criticism of any country's actions would be grounds on this forum for an immediate stop to further discussion.

Last edited:
Well, they were my favourite airline for the long-haul Europe flights when I lived in S'pore, and I was always comfortable flying with them. I still would be. This whole episode is far too weird to happen again.

Happy Saint Paddy's everyone, Kudos and all other lads and lasses from Eire especially. First pints on me, NOW LICK IT OFF!

Ahhh... 'tis a great international festival, lots of fun had by all :)

Just discovered someones upped a more serious look at our history, unfortunately longer... but well worth a look, not for those who need a simple narrrative. And he's also upped a Scottish one I don't think they showed here, going to be my dinner viewing this week. Schama's British one is there too.

Went down the country yesterday, to Downpatrick, seemed appropriate since it's still only a bank holiday in my corner which paraded sunday instead, and of all the great floats & music & dancers & stuff on display, the amount of Wolfhounds struck me most... such a Noble beastie, with a temperament to put many humans to shame...

View attachment 2344

Sláinte mo chara ! :)

Attachments

• wolfhound1.jpg
    wolfhound1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 47
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom