Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aren't Finnish and Magyar somewhat related, Urgric or something?

Finnish and Hungarian (Magyar in their own language) are from the same language family: The finno-ugric languages. As is Estonian end a few smaller languages like Chanti and Mansi. Most languages are so small though, that every couple of years one goes extinct, cause the last native speaker dies. Hungarian, Estonian and Finnish have only some grammatical structure and principles in common, but no common words, since they have been separated for such a long time. They all came from the Ural area most likely and some still remain there. There is not much known about the past of this language family as there are very few documents or other artifacts of their earlier past. The connection has only been made in the second half of the last century cause before that there was harly any linguistic study for this language family. They are suffix languages, meaning that one of their major ways to express things like location, relation, ownership and so on are all done through suffixes. Thus they have way more cases than Nominative etc. This is why there are so many variations of a noun in the example: The bus, a bus, the busses', on the bus, in the bus, next to the bus, about the bus...

@ReptilePZ
I loved both of those versions.On the other side of the spectrum,I hated how they made Reptile look in Armagedon.Awful,just awful.Thankfuly you can chose to play as DA Rep if you want .

Ohh I almost forgot.Thank you again @AL890 this time for the video. Every second of Liu Kang getting his ass handed to him was pure pleasure.He's like the Justin Bieber of MK
@Валькирия
Kinley stars in the movie...?Now I have to watch it.

On a serious note,I like it Val! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I know Yaroslavl was a city of Gardariki (land of walled towns in Old Norse) like Novgorod, and the Rus were often docked there going to and fro from Miklgard (Great City or Byzantium.) The middle blokes viking sword and Byzantine armour would seem to reinforce this. Very interesting period of history, and an interesting culture.

Maybe a thread should be started to soley focus on our favourite periods and areas of history? ;)

My favorite period in history was when the 27th descendants of the original Titan settlers returned to Earth with the knowledge to synthesize basic aminoacids and the understanding of continuous computing with biological processors contributed to cleaning up the atmosphere and rebuilding our society as it was in the late 20th century.

Oh wait... you are not supposed to know that...

My favorite period in history was when the 27th descendants of the original Titan settlers returned to Earth with the knowledge to synthesize basic aminoacids and the understanding of continuous computing with biological processors contributed to cleaning up the atmosphere and rebuilding our society as it was in the late 20th century.

Weren't there some discoveries of obscure devices from Babylon? Something like an electrical battery if I remember correctly.

Also, thoughts of space travel can be found throughout history. Some of them are cleariy sci-fi style, like Lucian of Samosata who was an early science fiction author who described space travel to the Moon, or later Cyrano de Bergerac who also described multi-stage rocket for space travel. Others are even more far reaching in their claims. For example Jonathan Eybeschütz interpreted passages about the tower of Babel as an attempt to build a space launching station to send a spaceship to the Moon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom