Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
The last couple of days I have been pondering about something and I thought, why not ask some help with fellow witcher fans (though it has nothing to do with the witcher). I have to much free time which I waste and want to learn another language. Now after some research I have come with two languages wich I can't decide between. Therefore I hope someone of you has some valuable input to help me. The two languages are Chinese and Japanese.
Why those two? Because one; I was always very much interested in the asiatic culture and two; they both have great economies and you never know if learing it will be useful someday.
Now ofcourse I already did some very broad research and an occurring theme seems to be this: China has surpassed the Japanese economy in the last few years and is still growing while the Japanese economy has been staying even (some sources even say shrinking). Therefore, from an economic perspective, Chinese would be the safer bet.
But, if you will look at a specific part of the economy, namly the technology industry, japan is still ahead of China. Some other things to also take into consideration are the ability of them to speak English. Appearently at Chinese universities you are required to speak at least some English if you want to pass and more Chinese people just speak English.

I'm throwing this question on a couple forums hoping someone has first hand experience. :D

So I'll throw in my two cents here. Chinese is definitely the harder of the two for a couple reasons:
1) Their writing system is far more complex than the Japanese kanji system which borrowed from Chinese.
2) With Chinese you still have the differences of Mandarin and Cantonese.
3) More difficult to pronounce than Japanese (in my opinion).

That said, China is a huge nation with a huge amount of people. Given the amount of outsourcing there, it would be a handy language to know for business. However, as you said, Japan is definitely more of technology based nation and more 'advanced'.

I always found Japanese culture fascinating and took two years, unfortunately I'm not really keeping up with it and don't really have many chances to utilize it.

Now we know everything about you. :)
Uh oh, I smell identify theft. :p

Now we know everything about you. :)

Well, my date of birth is already on my profile page, but I just put it here to save you guys from searching for it, as I know you're all a wee bit lazy. ;)

---------- Updated at 06:34 PM ----------

So is anything else going on around here, or am I alone again?

Going to miss that AL...RIP
View attachment 9055

Even though that fact was known for a long time, when CDerpRed was active...oh well.

Attachments

• AL1.jpg
    AL1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 39
Your brother Al would be sure to shake his finger, being the brilliant and generous patron of the arts and sciences that he was. I hear he left a healthy sum to public broadcasting stations across the world in his will. O, why do the good die young?

Your brother Al would be sure to shake his finger, being the brilliant and generous patron of the arts and sciences that he was. I hear he left a healthy sum to public broadcasting stations across the world in his will. O, why do the good die young?

RIP other me.

Now I sound like a bloody schizophrenic! :crazy:

---------- Updated at 09:48 PM ----------

Great. I'm fucking bored again! Anyone have any ideas on how to alleviate this condition I'm suffering? :(

Watching teenie romantic comedies of when you were young and remembering, when you thought that was how life worked. ^^

So tonight I lost at the annual poker game I play with my friends around this time of the year. Was just me and one of my friends the ones left with any marks at the end of the game. I ended up losing my somewhat big advantage in the end. Oh well. No money involved we just play for fun.

Oh and here's some music. I haven't posted any in quite some time, and now I'm doing it in the wrong thread. Cause I'm a rebel. Come get me Sid.

[video=youtube;eGlAkiCN4-M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGlAkiCN4-M[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom