Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering how long it takes until we're flooded ...

Yeah, there is a pretty high dam to protect the city, as the river is located right in the middle, seperating the Old Town from the New Town, but when it continues to rain like that, the town's becoming a big swimming pool. Just like some cellars are already. Those near a certain river, actually ;)

Stay safe Tjerra.

Ah a date with madam Palm and her five lovely daughters, exquisite.

I find that the details of such a date are most important, for dinner one can choose between choking a chicken or beating the meat. A lady likes to arrive in style so I suggest roping that pony before picking her up. After dinner perhaps engage in a spirited session of tug of war?

Slowly drifting into the Men's Lounge. ^^

Just wondering how long it takes until we're flooded ...

Yeah, there is a pretty high dam to protect the city, as the river is located right in the middle, seperating the Old Town from the New Town, but when it continues to rain like that, the town's becoming a big swimming pool. Just like some cellars are already. Those near a certain river, actually
Here it is just windy as hell. Good luck with the basement. :)

The Danube I assume? Or is it the Rhine? I get confused.

Nah, just a little unknown river flowing into river Elbe, it's called Schwarze Elster, think it translates into Black Magpie, like the bird. I'm quite happy to live in the town center, because the little villages around here are flooded annually (like 2-4km away from here, with flat fields in between) and one year our dog which lives in our garden like 3km away (because it's a German Shepherd and keeping such a big dog in a flat would be ... strange) nearly drowned, one neighbour came looking for his own dog in his garden and saved ours just in time.

Nah, just a little unknown river flowing into river Elbe, it's called Schwarze Elster, think it translates into Black Magpie, like the bird. I'm quite happy to live in the town center, because the little villages around here are flooded annually (like 2-4km away from here, with flat fields in between) and one year our dog which lives in our garden like 3km away (because it's a German Shepherd and keeping such a big dog in a flat would be ... strange) nearly drowned, one neighbour came looking for his own dog in his garden and saved ours just in time.

That sounds bad! Hope you can find some way to prevent the water from becoming a tidal wave and find a way to block off your basement. I can't imagine what that's like as I live in an area that was built on some small hills, so flooding is relatively unknown where I live. Sure, you hear about places in other parts of the country that get hit, but around here? We're safe which I'm thankful for. Good luck with that. :(

My home also near the Elbe, but not close to you. ^^ Luckily we are too high up for it to flow over, but out house is on former swamp area, so when it rains a lot, the baseent cna still get flooded. We have a drainage that is permanently running, which usually is enough with not too much rain. Only had it twice in my lifetime, but not that bad. At the harbour it is more common of course.

Keep us updated. We will send a Kayran to block it off. :)

That sounds bad! Hope you can find some way to prevent the water from becoming a tidal wave and find a way to block off your basement. I can't imagine what that's like as I live in an area that was built on some small hills, so flooding is relatively unknown where I live. Sure, you hear about places in other parts of the country that get hit, but around here? We're safe which I'm thankful for. Good luck with that. :(

Well, the biggest problem here isn't even the flooding (which is a big problem, too, but it's even worse in other regions near river Elbe), but the rising ground-water level getting a problem with every rainfall being slightly heavier than before (and this is happening more often recently). Years ago there was lignite mining by open-cast method just around the corner, now it has moved farther away, the filled the minings with water to create nice seas, and they stopped the pumps restraining the ground-water level, because they thought they are not longer needed. Well, the result is flooded fields and basements ...

Ah a date with madam Palm and her five lovely daughters, exquisite.

I find that the details of such a date are most important, for dinner one can choose between choking a chicken or beating the meat. A lady likes to arrive in style so I suggest roping that pony before picking her up. After dinner perhaps engage in a spirited session of tug of war?

Well, the biggest problem here isn't even the flooding (which is a big problem, too, but it's even worse in other regions near river Elbe), but the rising ground-water level getting a problem with every rainfall being slightly heavier than before (and this is happening more often recently). Years ago there was lignite mining by open-cast method just around the corner, now it has moved farther away, the filled the minings with water to create nice seas, and they stopped the pumps restraining the ground-water level, because they thought they are not longer needed. Well, the result is flooded fields and basements ...

And everything covered in dirt. They were wise to move. I could only imagine what that must have looked like, and it wouldn't look too good.

And everything covered in dirt. They were wise to move. I could only imagine what that must have looked like, and it wouldn't look too good.

My mother said twenty years or so ago, when it snowed, the snow was black :)
Fortunately, today the company is even storing their CO²-emissions underground. Or at least they try, because nobody wants to live near to such a storage place :D

My mother said twenty years or so ago, when it snowed, the snow was black :)
Fortunately, today the company is even storing their CO²-emissions underground. Or at least they try, because nobody wants to live near to such a storage place :D

Good thing too!

I've just looked outside, and now the wind has started! I've been told that we're going to get snow and ice, but I hope that's just rumors.

Now it's officially down to 1-2 choices...but i think one of them hates me, so that's why it's 1 or 2...
But in any case, i would want this day to be just like any other day in the year...because if i'm supposed to love a woman, it's going to be 24\7 not only for one day, that is said on the calendar.
So it will be just an ordinary day.
Meanwhile i went to see my doctor for my soul he was quite effective :p.

Attachments

• 64cb824823f777773fc593383bac3f00.png
    64cb824823f777773fc593383bac3f00.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 49
Now it's officially down to 1-2 choices...but i think one of them hates me, so that's why it's 1 or 2...
But in any case, i would want this day to be just like any other day in the year...because if i'm supposed to love a woman, it's going to be 24\7 not only for one day, that is said on the calendar.
So it will be just an ordinary day.
Meanwhile i went to see my doctor for my soul he was quite effective :p.

Good luck there, mate. You've got a real challenge ahead of you for this one!

When I write essays I feel like my writing style is so clumsy. I think it is a shame that teachers stop teaching us how to craft perfect essays once we get to university. I can't write like an academic because I've never been taught how, so instead all my essays read like they were written by a child. u__u and unfortunately not a child genius

When I write essays I feel like my writing style is so clumsy. I think it is a shame that teachers stop teaching us how to craft perfect essays once we get to university. I can't write like an academic because I've never been taught how, so instead all my essays read like they were written by a child. u__u and unfortunately not a child genius

The education system these days, be a robot. Don't understand anything just do it.

It must be tough to deal with these kind of things, what the essays are about? if you don't mind me asking.
Maybe i can help in some way. Maybe help crafting "perfect" essay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom