Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice, someone linked to me a video with english dialogues subbed in italian, probably asking what I thought about it. I pointed out some translation mistakes (not adaptation, but grammar and syntax mistakes), with a kind tone, and gave advices.

And the first answer I received was: "I am not payed to make this. Don't be so nitpicking, please."
What. What does that even mean.

We cleared the issue later, and he was kind too but I have to say that the first answer was so much weird after seeing a serious grammar mistake in those subs.

Even the best writers are guilty of sins like this. Umberto Eco has from time to time been the despair of his translators, because he thinks his English is better than it really is; he thinks a speech he just wrote out in English is like this:
:victory:
while his translator is doing this:
:huh:

Weird Indeed @SephiraV
Si è alzato col piede sbagliato...
Sì, lo avevo pensato... (congrats for your italian anyway)

But then I thought he was not even aware of his mistakes, I say that because a lot of italians claims that "It's 2015! You have to know english language a bit at least" and then they can't even speak or write italian properly.

[SUB]...and I've been nitpicking, 'cause I deleted a letter from your line, me sorry [/SUB]:p

---------- Updated at 09:02 PM ----------

Even the best writers are guilty of sins like this. Umberto Eco has from time to time been the despair of his translators, because he thinks his English is better than it really is; he thinks a speech he just wrote out in English is like this:
:victory:
while his translator is doing this:
:huh:
The joy and the despair, I would like to see Eco's reaction after the kind words of his translator haha.

Last edited:
So.... Do you must be payed for doing things correctly?

Ouch! Now I understand why everybody is always asking me for return them a favor....

This day! I think I aged a decade...

It all began quite fine, expecting to do some final things for the exam tomorrow, feeling well prepared - just to work out the last few rough edges. Boy, was I wrong. My girlfriend has a Blender project for university due on Friday and as it turns out neither does Blenders renderer support GPU rendering on AMD graphics cards, nor is there any chance she'll get her stuff done in time on the CPU. So... what to do? I offered "Hm... I was planning to buy a new GPU some time in the next months, for TW3, you know. I could do that NOW, but the most promising candidate (GTX 970) has a couple of problems and uncertainties about it right now, so I'd rather wait a bit."

After debating the alternatives and coming up with nothing practicable, we decide to make the big call and I'll just get a 980 instead - it's for a good cause after all! The problem: I wanted a specific one (if I'm gonna spend THAT kind of money, it won't be for a "good enough" model), and it wasn't in stock anywhere in the city. On the adventure goes: It's not quite noon, so I decide to take the train to the nearest town that got one (~1 hour there, 1 hour back again) and buy it there. Works like a charm, the guy at the store laughs at me for taking such a trip and spending €600 on a GPU, mostly so that my girlfriend could render some stuff.

Back home, I plug it in and - my worst fear comes true - I knew my PSU was a close call with 550W, but hoped for the best. No such luck, today. Only one 8-pin connector, two required. Plus, only 2x20A on the 12V rail, 42A required. A little desperate but feeling close to the finish, I go to the closest PC shop. It's 4PM by that time. Being the informed guy that always buys proper PSUs, I get an Enermax PSU and return home.

All plugged in, time to fire it up... and it works. At 6.30PM. Booting takes suspiciously long, but that happens with some new hardware in it. After a couple of reboots, no improvements and finally it doesn't boot at all. Research time! It seems the Geforce GTX900 series sometimes have some problems in that regard, but with some luck a new BIOS version might fix it. So, I unplug the GTX980, switch to the internal GPU of the CPU and flash the BIOS. Aaaaaand.... it does boot again! And fast! ... and a Blue Screen of Death. No! Nonono! I cannot have completely destroyed my Windows installation! Nope, I didn't. Some fiddling with the BIOS settings did the trick and all works fine. It's about 8PM now. Time to get all set up and then do some rendering.

Rendering a frame with these settings. Wow, that's fast. Rendering a frame with those settings. Nice. Renderi.... the power of the PC is gone. Completely. No reboot, no Black or Blue Screen of Death, no fans turning. Nothing. Trying to fire it up: nothing. Unplug, plug back in. Nothing. Unplug the 980, try again: nothing. Not the GPU, apparently, good news. Unplugging everything to complete bare bones and trying to start it: not a sound. Could the brand new PSU have died? Unlikely. So did something fry my motherboard/CPU? Oh god, please no.

Time to get my old PSU back into play: Plugging in bare bones and.... it starts. Curses. Cheers. More curses. A look on the clock: 10PM - all shops closed, long ago. No chance to get a new PSU now. My girlfriend hurries of to university, to get as many PCs as she can in one of their computer pools and have each one render a couple of frames over night. And I'm sitting here, sharing this story and remembering that I intended to do some stuff for tomorrow's exam. More, very explicit, curses. Madness. Complete and utter MADNESS! Me spending more than double of what I usually would on a GPU seemed mad from the beginning, but how could I have known what would follow?

tl;dr: FML!

@Blothulfur : Get me some of your strongest, nastiest stuff! I'm a man in desperate need!

@aaden too bad you're a bit too far away, otherwise I would have offered to swing by my place grab a couple of PC's and a few spare PSU's.

But with more than 400 KM's and we got massive traffic chaos since this morning that's not an option.

Stupid bureaucrats start listening to engineers ... If they say the bridge will only hold untill 2015 then don't wonder if it breaks apart in 2015... It fracking dropped 30cm when that stupid concrete metal pillar broke away last night... OH wait now you guys have only one bridge left to cross the river. and traffic is almost standing still for 3 hours in the rush hours. Good thing a new bridge was in the planning stage to be ready 2019 or so... In Germany that probably means won't be finished till 2025

@aaden too bad you're a bit too far away, otherwise I would have offered to swing by my place grab a couple of PC's and a few spare PSU's.

But with more than 400 KM's and we got massive traffic chaos since this morning that's not an option.

Stupid bureaucrats start listening to engineers ... If they say the bridge will only hold untill 2015 then don't wonder if it breaks apart in 2015... It fracking dropped 30cm when that stupid concrete metal pillar broke away last night... OH wait now you guys have only one bridge left to cross the river. and traffic is almost standing still for 3 hours in the rush hours. Good thing a new bridge was in the planning stage to be ready 2019 or so... In Germany that probably means won't be finished till 2025

Don't worry. I'm sure the new bridge is in the queue right after BER.

Those days where absolutely nothing goes right... I feel your pain! Had several of those myself.

Not all is bad, you know. I have a perfectly fine GTX 980 now, which I never planned on or dreamed of having. I can't use it, true, but I have it. And I still have a night ahead of me to get some stuff done. Wouldn't be able to sleep any time soon after all this nonsense, anyway.

Addendum: My calculator just broke. Now fate is just kicking the knocked-down guy. Looks like I have to leave early tomorrow, find a new one and write the exam with a completely unfamiliar calculator. Just great. That's two things that never before happened to me: a calculator and a quality PSU breaking. Sigh.

Sì, lo avevo pensato... (congrats for your italian anyway)

But then I thought he was not even aware of his mistakes, I say that because a lot of italians claims that "It's 2015! You have to know english language a bit at least" and then they can't even speak or write italian properly.
Hahaha! Scusi! Fa' piu o meno 6 anni che non ho scritto in Italiano :p

You know... In France, a lot (I mean A LOT) of people can't write their own language, and don't give a sh*** about learning other languages, even English.
So, at least it's a good thing if he understands English ^^'
BTW, It always amazed me how Italian assimilates English words. I mean, take any newspaper, and count the number English words in any Article.. It's crazy!

Ouch @aaden ...
I feel for you both! I sincerely wish good luck to your Girl friend and break a leg for your Exams!
I have almost bought the same GPU this month but I preferred to wait, because of its price most of all (welcome in da Student club~). I'll add a new hard drive to my kart, so I'll save my datas before upgrading my PC..
You're not the first person I heard about having issues with his new Graka ( @EmperorZorn )

Now You have to work for Tomorow! Don't give up, Make us proud!
GO GO GO!

[video=youtube;9D-QD_HIfjA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D-QD_HIfjA[/video]

that's probably the moment where you say Murphy... Find a doctor to write you sick or something...

Also a tip for the future, it's a dick move but hey... Next time buy a GPU from something as stupid as Mediamarkt or Saturn... ANY GPU that would have just worked in your setup and return it 3 days later with the words: Doesn't work I'll never buy crap from shit company XY again. Demand a refund or demand they get you the one you really want. Especially If you would have bought a 970 you could have just returned it under the "false declaration of having 4GB" since at least here the mass overpriced bullocks stores haven't changed the description to 3,5GB +0,5GB yet.

@aaden... love is strong!

Now I wonder if your precipited acts were done for loving her... or loving TW3....

Any case, I'm sorry you've had such a dark day.

dragonbird:
Splendid news! You’ll marry again! For all Gemini, Venus is in slow transit till August, when it comes to a full stop. That could not be more auspicious, really. The groom is a Muay Thai fighter who’s good with fizzy cocktails and floral arrangements. Sadly, you will catch him in the act with Wichat the day before the ceremony. So not to let all that buffet food go to waste, you’ll marry a retired Tupperware rep on the spot.y And a happy married life awaits you dragonbird, under his no-furry-pets house policy.

OMG!!!! OMG!!! Oh My God!!!!

That is slander in my jurisdiction that has not prescribed that have unfortunately overlooked. But still I will take legal action! Call your lawyer, Agent!

I just put into practice a key that he was teaching me

Last edited:
@aaden

Can't her school provide hours at a dedicated computer? I'm sure some institute or lab in your area has a few Teslas or Geforces you could use via SSH.

I bought an MSI GTX 970 last November and had a lot of issues, it should be back from RMA soon. So watch out.

Last edited:
OMG!!!! OMG!!! Oh My God!!!!

That is slander in my jurisdiction that has not prescribed that have unfortunately overlooked. But still I will take legal action! Call your lawyer, Agent!

Don't worry about it, He got the wrong star sign - I'm not Gemini.
Marrying again would, in my case, be called "bigamy" and it didn't happen.
The Muay Thai Fighter part was correct though.

@aaden

Can't her school provide hours at a dedicated computer? I'm sure some institute or lab in your area has a few Teslas or Geforces you could use via SSH.

I bought an MSI GTX 970 last November and had a lot of issues, it should be back from RMA soon. So watch out.

I don't know. If it does, she doesn't know about it and it's certainly not my job to check it. Besides, I find her solution of hogging whatever PC becomes available in the computer pool fascinating and amusing. :D

I hope it wasn't some malfunction on the 980's side that killed the PSU with all the troubles you hear about this series. It's an MSI too. Well, I guess I'll find out if the next PSU dies a couple of minutes in as well. For now, I see no reason to suspect it's the GPU's fault. Besides, isn't the PSU protected against getting grilled from an inside component? I guess it was just faulty and couldn't handle the 980 at full load.

@wichat : I cannot deny that I shamelessly took the chance to buy a card that normally is out of my price range. But I do in fact believe that the driving force was her and helping her with her project. So my love for her it is! :)
Otherwise, there's no way I would have done that with all the obstacles and on the day before an exam. Not even for Witcher 3 (Blasphemy, I know).

Anyways, after reviewing some stuff, I feel considerably more comfortable and feel confident to get a pleasant result on the exam, despite the loss of this day. :comeatmebro:

The joy and the despair, I would like to see Eco's reaction after the kind words of his translator haha.

Eco worked for many years with the incredibly patient William Weaver. Weaver knew that Eco at least understood the difficulties a translator faced. He said Italo Calvino was rather more challenging.

From The Art of Translation
I had problems with Calvino because he thought he knew English. He would fall in love with English words. Every now and then he would fiddle with a sentence in his English. At one point he fell madly in love with the word feedback, and he didn’t realize that in America feedback is like closure or spinning out of control, something you hear constantly on television. It’s jargon and cliché, and you can’t use it anymore. The word is dead to literature, but to him it was new and fascinating. He thought it was fun and so he kept putting it into this story where it really didn’t belong, and I kept taking it out. Finally the last proofs came, and I took it out definitively. And I’m sorry to say he died before he had the book in his hands, so he never knew that I’d done this to him.

I assume one does not simply barge into the Hairy Bear tavern for the first time without guidance.

How does one participate in this 2556 page beast?

Who else loves Dracula? The book by Stoker. The written and spoken English in it is just phenomenal. It saddens me that no one uses that late Romantic-era English anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom