Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now is a question of awaiting the result of the investigation. And don't eat food which comes from Igualada and surrounding for several months... :(

Yikes... I'm glad you're alright for now. Stay safe.
Being kind of a hypochondriac, I would drive myself mad in a situation like that. - . - ;

@wichat : Stay safe! That cloud looks scary! Industrial incidents are really creepy.

After yesterday's horrible events everything's starting to look up. The exam went extraordinarily well. The PSU indeed and beyond any doubt was clinically dead and got replaced without any problems. Now the system is up and running and rendering my girlfriend's stuff. Some nice dude at the computer pool noticed how she was hogging PCs and showed her how to properly clustercompute there, so renders are well underway there, too. The GTX980 is a beast, running at full load below 60°C very quietly or maybe even silent - don't think I can hear it from the rest of the system, anyway. The only thing that's truly aggravating now is that it's rendering all night instead of running some fine games! That, and with nearly an additional day lost from an already tight schedule, my girlfriend is now in super crunch mode to get things finished...

That's cool @aaden.

And thanks for the tip. At my lab we regularly teach workshops in scientific and parallel computing and I never considered art oriented people, it's always natural sciences and engineering.

By now most schools have some form of dedicated computing resources, but even in cases where they don't there are tools to exploit all that idle time in office computer CPUs and distribute tasks. Theoretically speaking that's highly inefficient for true HPC, but it's a cheap and scalable alternative for high throughput scenarios. I once met someone from Peru at a conference and he told me that's what their physics department does: run their models on commodity, desktop hardware all over the building, overnight or when "idle".

Last edited:
That's cool @aaden .

And thanks for the tip. At my lab we regularly teach workshops in scientific and parallel computing and I never considered art oriented people, it's always natural sciences and engineering.

By now most schools have some form of dedicated computing resources, but even in cases where they don't there are tools to exploit all that idle time in office computer CPUs and distribute tasks. Theoretically speaking that's highly inefficient for true HPC, but it's a cheap and scalable alternative for high throughput scenarios. I once met someone from Peru at a conference and he told me that's what their physics department does.

Yeah, that's pretty much what they're doing there. It's not accessing the Leibniz or any other big cluster, it's just using the idle PCs in the computer pool. Still, it's a huge upgrade, compared to manually handling each free PC and keeping track of which frames you're rendering on which PC. :thumbup:
It's not art oriented actually, it's just a project lab within a Computer Science related course of studies. All the more shame on the university for not making that option clear! Glad you're able to take away an idea from it, anyway. :)

Submitted my paper to this conference website, relaxed and just for kicks decided to review the document one more time. Found a couple minor things I could still fix and resubmit, so I do it and notice in terror I had LaTeX settings overriding the default template settings, including margins and font size. I comment those lines and the horror, I'm half a page over the limit! Frantically I rephrase as much as I can while I still have time. Again back to the specified length and I believe, it's still very readable. I submitted it again and took a deep breath. Been working non stop for the last eleven days, no weekend, no breaks.

Congrats!

That's how academic deadlines (or deadlines in general?) work, isn't it? Crunchtime, some critical failure, panic, just-in-time finish with a good result but not quite as you had wished/expected. At least I don't know it any other way.

Time to grab your favorite beverage and binge-watch/play something awesome as a reward!

At my lab we regularly teach workshops in scientific and parallel computing and I never considered art oriented people, it's always natural sciences and engineering.

Professional 3D artists usually know something about using clusters. In big projects (think major commercial films with animation like Avatar and etc.) they can use them quite a lot. So I guess they might have some courses on that subject while they learn too?

@wichat (see I learned to spell your name) It was fairly good, but a bit much too write. Would have liked to have a bit more time to finish things up. Besides that it should be more or less fine. Didn't study too much. ^^ Thanks for the question.

@wichat (see I learned to spell your name) It was fairly good, but a bit much too write. Would have liked to have a bit more time to finish things up. Besides that it should be more or less fine. Didn't study too much. ^^ Thanks for the question.

Well, glad to hear you saying that. Sho you'll can enjoy better this weekend.

Cheers!

View attachment 10447

BTW, to everybody... ;)

Attachments

• 13fri.jpg
    13fri.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I am jealous because Witcher books here are paperback...Cheap bastards :D
Haha, that's why hardcover has its price. :ermm:
I am so haunted with my exams that the first thing I noticed in this picture is not the book, it's your Chemistry notes... I need help.
Are you attracted by Chemistry? Thanks for reminding me what lies beneath. I hate it. I passed the written part, now the other part is waiting for me, and I'll probably be a melting statue, trying to talk, in front of the professor.

How are you going? Everything ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom