Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is problematic. Animals do not have sophisticated thoughts -- in fact, linguistically, the thought level of a non-human ape (e.g. Nim Chimpsky, Washoe....) at near adulthood cannot express thoughts that are displaced, i.e. separate from themselves in any capacity (past tense, future events, actions other people take...) while a human child at the age of 18 months can. This literally means the animals that are considered closest to humans are completely egocentric and don't think about anything other than themselves (or, suppose others in the survival sense -- a mother feeding her baby-- but this is an innate desire that 1) humans have too and 2) basic empathy isn't sophisticated).

So how can an animal be capable of cruelty? How can an animal be racist, sexist or phobic in any social capacity if they are solely concerned with themselves? Humans are quite literally the first (as far as we know) to have this higher level of thinking -- not just displacement, which also concerns itself with abstract thoughts-- and quite literally we are the first species to be dealing with the *ethics* of survival of the fittest, of being omnivorous, of concerns of which are are result of becoming the apex predator and actually making it to the top of the food chain. We are still young as a sentient species and we are still alone. Could we say having these thoughts and still being very self-involved in regards to vegetarian/veganism isn't a natural animal thing to do? Is it okay that we are making mistakes, forming opinions, taking sides as a development as a sentient species?

There have been cases of chimps and other animals displaying cruelty and ironically it does tend to center around species with high intelligence. Dolphins are known to kill for fun instead of just around the instinct to feed for instance. There is probably far more that we are unaware of because we don't pay attention to it in our daily lives. But you are correct that many animals live solely on instinct and do not have self awareness or the capacity for cruelty and many are incapable of higher intelligence (but there are cases that have shown otherwise as well).

My cat died two weeks ago and now, when I see how you talking about animals, I start feeling depression again. My heart hurts every time when I see pictures with Siamese cats...

Sorry to hear that, Val. You have our dearest sympathies. :(

MK + SOAD? Hmm...

You know what would be interesting? A game or movie using less mainstream bands. Like doom metal bands. Or a sci-fi game featuring actual industrial bands. But I get the point, games have to sell well and musical/narrative tastes do not always overlap.

MK + SOAD? Hmm...

You know what would be interesting? A game or movie using less mainstream bands. Like doom metal bands. Or a sci-fi game featuring actual industrial bands. But I get the point, games have to sell well and musical/narrative tastes do not always overlap.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. But, as you said, it's a promotional TV Spot/Trailer, so the more eyes they can get on it, the better.

We call it fun, but is just training and keep fit. Humanity has forgotten that playing is not a matter of childish but keep our mind and reflexs in optimal condition to stay alive. Our sense of humour is the way we say to the others that we "are training emotionally against possible bad situations for the future". When we are not "training/joking" we hurt, like the rest of animals.

Joined a friend of mine spontaneously to a barber today. He butchered my Hobbit curls. Now I look normal and no longer like the derelict student that I am. I feel weird.

My cat died two weeks ago and now, when I see how you talking about animals, I start feeling depression again. My heart hurts every time when I see pictures with Siamese cats...

Been there. Stay strong.

My first cat died when I was like six years old. Painful death by rat poison. You know what the worst part was? I got it a week before as my birthday present.

Scarred me for life..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom