Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined a friend of mine spontaneously to a barber today. He butchered my Hobbit curls. Now I look normal and no longer like the derelict student that I am. I feel weird.

..Stallone with Hobbit curls? I think they made the right move, tbh.

There have been cases of chimps and other animals displaying cruelty and ironically it does tend to center around species with high intelligence. Dolphins are known to kill for fun instead of just around the instinct to feed for instance. There is probably far more that we are unaware of because we don't pay attention to it in our daily lives. But you are correct that many animals live solely on instinct and do not have self awareness or the capacity for cruelty and many are incapable of higher intelligence (but there are cases that have shown otherwise as well).

The behaviour animals displaying higher intelligence is a little out of my field-- I study linguistics-- but I can say that I have seen papers with dolphins and chimps displaying self awareness. e.g. the experiments showed what the creatures do with a mirror (higher apes check themselves out, and I think dolphins did a similar thing). So going with what you were saying, we could draw a link between self awareness and cruelty. I would personally go for the egocentrism still be incredibly prominent into that mix and go on to say that humans are still egocentric and suffer from sentience/displaced empathy and more or less-- we are able to be guilty for our actions. So you could say, yes, those apes are cruel and dolphins are capable of cruelty, but they don't feel sorry for it. Those apes committing domestic abuse are completely self centred and care very little for how the females are feeling. Humans are still capable for that cruelty, but it's a different kind of cruelty.This is where I'd go into humanity dealing with omnivores who feel empathy for other animals as a species for the first time.

Again this is further out of my field, so I should probably stop because I'll start talking shit.

OK, slight change of topic. I need advice on something that's probably trivial.

I have DSL internet connection. The phone and modem both plug into the same wall outlet, then there's a splitter. A couple of weeks ago the splitter got destroyed (yes, cat attack) and I bought a new one.

Since then, if I use the phone, my internet connection drops. Luckily, I don't use the landline often so it's a mild annoyance rather than a major problem. Is it likely to be just that I got a faulty splitter, or are there actually different types of splitter around?

OK, slight change of topic. I need advice on something that's probably trivial.

I have DSL internet connection. The phone and modem both plug into the same wall outlet, then there's a splitter. A couple of weeks ago the splitter got destroyed (yes, cat attack) and I bought a new one.

Since then, if I use the phone, my internet connection drops. Luckily, I don't use the landline often so it's a mild annoyance rather than a major problem. Is it likely to be just that I got a faulty splitter, or are there actually different types of splitter around?

Disclamer, I don't have DSL and haven't worked with it as often as with cable and leased lines. But this is a common problem. The usual cause is that one of your phones is wrongly filtered, with a defective filter or no filter at all between the line and the phone.

A little background, a standard telephone is an open circuit when it is on hook, and a low DC resistance when it is off hook. Telco detects this to determine whether your phone needs to talk to the switch. But on a DSL connection, if the high-frequency DSL signal isn't isolated from the telephone, going off hook will shunt it.

That's what the filter on the phone side is for, to present a high impedance to the high-frequency DSL signal at all times, while passing DC and low-frequency through to the phone. Any phone connected to the DSL line without a working filter will drop the DSL connection when it goes off hook. Conveniently, the phone that does this will identify the missing, incorrectly connected, or defective filter.

A splitter is, basically, a pass-through on the DSL side and a filter on the phone side. A defective splitter will fail the same way that a defective filter will.

A good summary in layman's terms of DSL signaling can be found at: More than you ever wanted to know about DSL filters!

Last edited:
That makes sense. So I bought the wrong kind of splitter. The picture of the Z-Blocker on that link bears an uncanny resemblance to the one that the cats destroyed.

That makes sense. So I bought the wrong kind of splitter. The picture of the Z-Blocker on that link bears an uncanny resemblance to the one that the cats destroyed.

Your cats managed to destroy a Z-Blocker?? Telcos use those because they're more or less indestructible, and hardly ever the cause of service calls. I didn't think anything short of a pit bull using it for a chew toy could hurt one.

Last edited:
Your cats managed to destroy a Z-Blocker?? Telcos use those because they're more or less indestructible, and hardly ever the cause of service calls. I didn't think anything short of a pit bull using it for a chew toy could hurt one.

This make (or very similar):

They tugged at it, and the cable became detached from the box. Unfortunately, there's no way of opening up the box to reconnect the cable.

So it's only a problem when the phone's off-hook? If the phone rings and I don't answer it, the DSL line won't drop? I can live with that temporarily. I never give anyone my landline number, so the only people who ever call are either wrong numbers or the phone company trying to sell me something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom