Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm making dinner for my family tonight, and my dad wanted sushi, so it looks like I'm making sushi and okonomiyaki. They never taste quite as authentic as the stuff you can get in Japanese restaurants, but at least they still taste good. If the sushi looks pretty I'll post pictures later.

I'm making dinner for my family tonight, and my dad wanted sushi, so it looks like I'm making sushi and okonomiyaki. They never taste quite as authentic as the stuff you can get in Japanese restaurants, but at least they still taste good. If the sushi looks pretty I'll post pictures later.

Good luck and bon appetite...i guess.

Nice! :) I always wondered how sushi tastes.. we watched a documentary movie in school about a man who makes it in his own restaurant, if I remember right it was "Jiro dreams of sushi". All the food they've shown looked so good, I might try some if I ever see a Japanese restaurant around here.

Last edited:
I'm more interested in ramen than sushi to be honest. It looks so tasty.

Currently planning a trip to Asia in maybe next year or 2017. Would definitely like to visit Japan and eat some. :p

Last edited:

Ohhh please do. I may have to go find some sushi now...

Never tasted Sushi, something psychological blocks me the ability and the will to even try it...

Ah, nothing feels better than a satisfaction of finishing two\three chapters in one weekend. If considering tomorrow a weekend as well...then there will be another one :)

As promised :)

This was the first time I made sushi outside of Japan, without any help from a Japanese person and they turned out well! I don't normally like sushi but homemade fresh ones are actually pretty good.

Never tasted Sushi, something psychological blocks me the ability and the will to even try it...

Ah, nothing feels better than a satisfaction of finishing two\three chapters in one weekend. If considering tomorrow a weekend as well...then there will be another one :)

You can always ease in a bit with cooked stuff, like unagi. Or things that don't contain fish.

As promised :)

This was the first time I made sushi outside of Japan, without any help from a Japanese person and they turned out well! I don't normally like sushi but homemade fresh ones are actually pretty good.

I almost forgot that it is Easter tomorrow. Need to go and paint a few eggs. :)

But first, I need somehow to stop watching this coub. :p

Share some pics of your artistry with us once they are done! :)

A very respectable first try, princess.
As someone who worked in a sushi restaurant for 2 years, may I give you a few pointers?
1. The shari (sushi rice) isn't nearly sticky enough. You definitely need to add a good bit of sugar, salt, and dried konbu(kelp) - rinsed and cook them with the sushi vinegar until they're completely dissolved.
2. Don't skimp on the fillings, you require moar minerals and fillings!
3. Use the force! You need to compact that sushi roll a bit more, they loook like they're about to fall apart even before picking them up.
4. Sharpen your steel, princess. See how some of the seaweed look like they've been torn? Sign of a dull (and un-moistened) blade.

Either way, a very respectable first try compared to mine. The first roll i made turned inside out. @_@
Here's a nice helpful begginer's guide :D

Itadakimasu!

Nice! :) I always wondered how sushi tastes.. we watched a documentary movie in school about a man who makes it in his own restaurant, if I remember right it was "Jiro dreams of sushi". All the food they've shown looked so good, I might try some if I ever see a Japanese restaurant around here.

Does that mean you've also never tasted wasabi, as the two tend to go together? You're in for a treat. Make sure you take a big mouthful the first time you taste it. Like I did. And my husband did. And my brother-in-law did a year later when we introduced him to sushi.

Make sure you take a big mouthful the first time you taste it.

ah yes, once upon a time, myself and several other australians were presenting ~our national foods~ to a classroom of japanese students. the queenslander had brought an entire jar of vegemite to present. he said "this is vegemite! it's really delicious!", stuck his finger in the jar and scooped out a large glob of it and just ate it there in front of them. "who wants to try some?" now, we had to be kind and only let them have a tiny amount on their pinkies -- but despite that, we still emptied the classroom of children who wanted to wash out their mouths at the drink fountain.

ah yes, once upon a time, myself and several other australians were presenting ~our national foods~ to a classroom of japanese students. the queenslander had brought an entire jar of vegemite to present. he said "this is vegemite! it's really delicious!", stuck his finger in the jar and scooped out a large glob of it and just ate it there in front of them. "who wants to try some?" now, we had to be kind and only let them have a tiny amount on their pinkies -- but despite that, we still emptied the classroom of children who wanted to wash out their mouths at the drink fountain.

I wonder if Aussies experience anything similar when they first taste marmite? If they take a large gob out of that, it would probably be a little painful.
(I fell in love with vegemite when I first discovered it, clearly I'm a traitor to my birth-country)

And what do you mean "our national FOODS"? There's more than one? Surely you weren't giving them Fosters....

Last edited:
I wonder if Aussies experience anything similar when they first taste marmite? If they take a large gob out of that, it would probably be a little painful.
(I fell in love with vegemite when I first discovered it, clearly I'm a traitor to my birth-country)

I'm fairly certain that marmite and vegemite are very similar. I hate vegemite, so I'm probably less patriotic than you. I would have been running out of the classroom with the other kids if I'd had some. The Japanese have an equivalent called nattou, soy bean paste, which the Japanese are also divided about -- you love it or you hate it, there's no in between. I haven't tried it, either, and that's probably a good thing.

I'm fairly certain that marmite and vegemite are very similar. I hate vegemite, so I'm probably less patriotic than you.

They're similar in taste, although made from different ingredients. But unless it's been made healthier in recent years, marmite was always a lot stronger flavoured, like condensed vegemite. I think that's why I prefer vegemite, it's better for spreading on toast.

They had vegemite in one of the main supermarkets here a year or so ago, during an Aussie Food promotion. I bought the entire stock, all 12 jars. Totally unnecessarily, as it turned out, because the store clearly decided it must be really popular and started to sell it all of the time. So I'm probably the secret saviour of the entire Aussie community in the city.

I still haven't finished the 12 jars. Luckily it doesn't seem to degrade through time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom