Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wait until you find out computer science has little to do with computers and should have been called computING science. Unless you mean computer or software engineering instead...

Thanks for your enthusiasm, but I did thoroughly look through the curriculum (and the descriptions of most of the subjects) so I think I have a pretty good idea on what to expect.

Just like how a witcher never enters into battle unprepared, I like to be informed as much as possible before acting :p

Yeah, its kinda stupid name, it's like call medicine - the scalpel science :D. I find informatics much more accurate name.

Yes, in estonian it's called informaatika which should translate to informatics.

Last edited:
Just wait until you find out computer science has little to do with computers and should have been called computING science. Unless you mean computer or software engineering instead...
Yeah, its kinda stupid name, it's like call medicine - the scalpel science :D. I find informatics much more accurate name.

---------- Updated at 08:32 AM ----------

Yes, in estonian it's called informaatika which should translate to informatics.
In polish we use "Informatyka" too, but as far as I know in english term "informatics" is rarely used.

Holy damn. So I passed my computer science admission exams, which means i got into university.

I have been worried about this damn thing for over 4 months and being afraid that i don't get in etc and now suddenly all those worries are gone. You can't even imagine how excited I am.

:victory:

I'm probably gonna regret everything once first exams come

Congratulations on your exam!!

Yeah we call informatics in hungarian "Informatika" too, it sounds weird in english I think haha.

Ach! Frustration strikes again! My hard drive failed last week, so I've lost my Witcher III save-games, many of my personal files, and some programmes, with no back-ups -- it was a brand-new SSD, damn it! So, since I have to wait for a replacement, and then need to attempt to repair the damage, I'll be out of the loop for quite a while. Livewell, all. I'll be back, someday. . . .

Ay, 'tis. Sadly, both my friends who are professional technicians are totally baffled by what caused the failure, and can't seem to find a way to recover the data. It's a bit of a mystery, really. Oh, well, back to waiting, I suppose.
What happened? The SSD disappeared from your BIOS altogether? I had a case of that 6 weeks ago (after I not-so-gently powered down the PC during windows updates... ;) ) and with internet black magic I could revive it.

---------- Updated at 03:32 PM ----------

Now for something completely different - know what bugs me?
"Join Date 01/2014" But I'm around since 2009! It stole 5 years from me ;(
And I even had another account after one of the many forum reboots. Is there a way to merge all of my scattered personae? :huh:

Informatics is correct but I find it insufficient to cover such a broad and diverse area. You have everything from "theoretical informatics" (computer science) to software engineering and information technology. The differences are NOT subtle: computing as a science is concerned with theories of computation, applied math and algorithms design, for instance in optimization or AI or operating systems. These guys usually receive a Bachelor of Science. Software engineering has more to do with the programs themselves, the design and implementation and management of information systems, and people get B.Eng regularly. IT is more like the often referenced networking guy. Occupations also vary wildly: you'll often find comp scientists at universities or maybe designing machine learning systems at companies. Software engs often devote their energies to programming large systems in large teams at software companies. And IT is everywhere because we all need computer networks.

There are areas of intersection with comp sci, such as computational science.

So yeah computer science is like saying scalpel science but Informatics is way too broad.

The reason I brought it up for @Arvuti is because people often confuse these things and lose motivation if their expectations aren't met. In most programs you'll have to commit to something eventually, either by specializing your bachelors or choosing a specific department. But it really is an encouragement, the world of computing is fascinating and rewarding if it is what you like, so good luck and work hard.

So I've been at work for 3 days now and.. I really like it! The first 2 days were slow at first, I was mainly observing how the others make deals on the phone for cargos to be moved, and I was learning how to use the equipments in the office that I will need to use, but today they told me to give it a shot myself. Aaaand I made my first deal today already!

I never thought I would be so happy to be able to log on to the forums again.

@Mataresa
I will, wait for it ;)
Well I can imagine worse things than being visited by a pretty woman that likes games. As long as you are not one of those stalking, killing maniacs. :D
(If you skim through the forum you can actually find out in which city I live and what I study at which university. From there on it should be easy for a good stalker to find me. :D )
So yeah computer science is like saying scalpel science but Informatics is way too broad.
Well actually I pretty much study all these things. And you are right, it is a broad field. That is why you will never know enough and there is always something new to learn.

Sin 'cos tan(ning) is impossible at night? :huh: :facepalm:

Or get drunk in the Bear. That's always an option.

Good luck tomorrow!

Soo ... math exams tomorrow. Any tips how to spend my last hours in life? :/

You're writing here, I think you're fully prepared for the exams. So don't worry.

Sin 'cos tan(ning) is impossible at night? :huh: :facepalm:

Or get drunk in the Bear. That's always an option.

Good luck tomorrow!

Yeah ... I'm too worn out. Maths is just like self-humilation. Espacially when your lecturer calls every second result "trivial".

I think I will lack space in a bear. :(

You're writing here, I think you're fully prepared for the exams. So don't worry.

You're the light at the end of the tunnel.

Mandrake cordial, fisstech and cheap whores?

Seems like you are very experienced in whooping it up. Tell me more. :D

I am too old...Nowadays, mandrake and fisstech are almost impossible to find...And cheap whores wants expensive things....Tedd Deireadh, indeed...

Oh ... so you're the kind of people who are totally drunk after a glass of vine? I feel for you.
I imagine I will get veneral diseases in return.. Bad deal. On the other hand: No risk no fun. :hmm:

Well, at least I'm over with the programming/coding exam. Yet, I don't know if I was doing good or ... not so good. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom