Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I returned home not exactly sober (well, very very far from sober tbh) and I came up with the brilliant idea to start exploring the Mansion in TW3 HoS. I planned to do a little reconnaissance and go bed if fights would become too hard... So, I entered the Mansion and then it started. I don't want to spoil too much so I only say that every few minutes it was like "WTF?!" and I searched my jaw on the floor :D. Eventually I was able to leave mansion in the middle of the night, but it was really crazy ride. So, feel warned, this quest can really damage your psyche! ;)
Whoever wrote this amazing story deserves a drink, or two :cheers3:

Can anyone recommend me a good pirate-themed RPG?

I have been trying to find one with no success, and I am starting to believe that for some reason the RPG world has not yet tackled pirates.... which is a shame.

I have been trying to find one with no success, and I am starting to believe that for some reason the RPG world has not yet tackled pirates.... which is a shame.

I only know a few games that are about sailing/pirating but that is rather a point and click strategy game. Then there is Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, but then that's more action/adventure. Still you can upgrade your ship, explore islands, find treasures.

There's actually not that many pirate games about, I guess no one really knows how to do them. The first game that really comes to mind is Sid Meier's Pirates but I haven't played it so I don't really know much about it. There's also Caribbean which is a game built in the Mount and Blade engine, but everyone's pretty divisive about it: Some say it's good, others say it's terrible.

As @Eddard20 says, Assassin's Creed IV is probably the only pirate game that everyone agrees is good, but it's open world and action/adventure, so I'm not sure if that's what you're interested in.

Sorry for the lack of assistance, but I'm kind of stumped on this one.

Last edited:
There's actually not that many pirate games about, I guess no one really knows how to do them. The first game that really comes to mind is Sid Meier's Pirates but I haven't played it so I don't really know much about it. There's also Caribbean which is a game built in the Mount and Blade engine, but everyone's pretty divisive about it: Some say it's good, others say it's terrible.

As @Eddard20 says, Assassin's Creed IV is probably the only pirate game that everyone agrees is good, but it's open world and action/adventure, so I'm not sure if that's what you're interested in.

Yeah, AC4 is actually a good pirate game. I'm a big fan of the old games in the series (the new ones are simply not Assassin's Creed games) but Black Flag is fun if you are looking for a pirate game. You can board other ships, take their stuff, Or just sail around. There are even sea shanties, which are a nice touch while you're on the sea. Overall the sailing part of the game is really well done.

I only know a few games that are about sailing/pirating but that is rather a point and click strategy game. Then there is Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, but then that's more action/adventure. Still you can upgrade your ship, explore islands, find treasures.

Hmmm I've never played any Assassin's Creed games due to the bad rep they have for being buggy and unfinished. But it does look like that might be my best bet tbh. Thanks for the help!

---------- Updated at 02:55 PM ----------

Yeah from a quick google search I did I found out about that Sid Meier's one but it doesn't appear to be focused on something I'd enjoy.

I'm probably going to try the Assassin's Creed game and hopefully it will be all right :) Thank you!

---------- Updated at 02:57 PM ----------

I think, there was a decent Pirates of the Carribean game, but most were crap. Risen is pirate themed, as far as I know, but is a bit dated and I am not sure, it fits your taste.
Point and Click I would of course recommend Monkey Island series.

Did you skim through this list: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_games_about_pirates ?

I had a look at Risen but the reviews were a bit mixed, and from what people said were the issues (bad combat, very buggy) I decided I'd pass.

I had a look at that list too but none of them seemed to be that well received.

Got two options for my Halloween run up and I need advice which will be more sturdy on my face while running.

Full Halloween mask or Bandana and eye mask.

Don't think, I will do anything for halloween this year. Used to joke there was reformation day anyway, but since I finally left the church after years of being to lazy to do it, I can't. But seems like you are making quite some preparations. Have fun!

Got two options for my Halloween run up and I need advice which will be more sturdy on my face while running.

Full Halloween mask or Bandana and eye mask.

Bandanna and eye mask is probably unlikely to fall off ... and if you're running, it will be easier to breathe in. Masks are awful if you're breathing hard.

---------- Updated at 03:03 PM ----------

I'm thinking of going as a Viking for Halloween this year. It may not be that spooky but as Vikings no longer exist, I will technically be a dead Viking.

Bandanna and eye mask is probably unlikely to fall off ... and if you're running, it will be easier to breathe in. Masks are awful if you're breathing hard.

Bandana and eye mask it is then, thanks

---------- Updated at 03:05 PM ----------

I'm thinking of going as a Viking for Halloween this year. It may not be that spooky but as Vikings no longer exist, I will technically be a dead Viking.

Yeah it could work if you find a fake beard somewhere lol.

Hmmm I've never played any Assassin's Creed games due to the bad rep they have for being buggy and unfinished. But it does look like that might be my best bet tbh. Thanks for the help!

You're welcome! Yeah sadly that is true for almost every Ubisoft game these days. But I would say that with all the patches that have been released for AC4, it is totally playable, and will keep you busy for a while. I own the game myself, even started replaying it while I'm waiting for my new PC haha. Sailing, diving, pirating, it's all there. The soundtracks are also very nice, they perfectly fit the pirate theme of the game. I think you will enjoy it.

Yay, internet again!

My university thought it a great idea to start their server maintenance over the weekend, and as those student hostels are all connected to said servers, I wasn't able to get my Physics homework done on Thursday (but still have time to do so until next Wednesday). Actually never thought having fish to care for still at home can ensure your internet access.

However, never study veterinary medicine. First week, already don't know when to do what. The elder ones said it will only get worse - yay!

However, never study veterinary medicine. First week, already don't know when to do what. The elder ones said it will only get worse - yay!

I knew a guy who studied veterinary medicine. He reached his 5th year of study and failed his summer exams. They didn't even let him re-sit, he had to leave university.

Um... not sure where I'm going with that story but good luck!!!!

I will technically be a dead Viking.

I knew a guy who studied veterinary medicine. He reached his 5th year of study and failed his summer exams. They didn't even let him re-sit, he had to leave university.

Um... not sure where I'm going with that story but good luck!!!!

Well, that's kind of strange. We already got our first exam dates, and they told us we can repeat, in case of failing, those exams up to three times. Don't know about the end, though. It's called Staatsexamen over here, at the end of the 5th year ...

Well, that's kind of strange. We already got our first exam dates, and they told us we can repeat, in case of failing, those exams up to three times. Don't know about the end, though. It's called Staatsexamen over here, at the end of the 5th year ...

So you're going to be exhausted and might have problems thinking straight? That's the most basic of problems in all forms of education. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom