🍺Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic

+
I hear witchers eat lots of spuds. Mayhap I should eat more spuds meself, it might turn me into a lean, mean, ploughing machine! I could just get rid of those lazy oxen and pull the damn plough meself!

Drinks all around! Drink up whatever you have and then have another on me!

......I finally got hold of my Cyberpunk 2077 Collector's Edition! :beer:

glad.gif

Merry Christmas everyone!

To anyone who still pops in here from time to time, I hope you have a great and blessed holiday season and despite not being very active here anymore, I'm still fond of the memories from the games and the people who I met here over the years.

Looking forward to next year and what CDPR comes up with the next gen version of TW3. I hope I have time to play it at some point, and I hope you do too. :p

Cheers!

Does anyone remember a video by one reviewer who explained the usage of realism genre in the Witcher games and how it differs from heroic fantasy. He also discussed what "mature" story means in that sense. I remember the video was pretty good but I can't find it.
Post automatically merged:

Found it:

Last edited:
By the by, @Jousting-Jack , what prompted the name-change?

Good question, that. I'm almost reluctant to answer it, for fear of appearing silly or irrational but here goes.

I get through these moods every now and then, I think of a nickname and I think to myself "Wow, that's cool, I'm gonna use that!" but after a while I arrive at the conclusion that the nickname is stupid and "what the hell was I thinking."

It's like I'm on a never-ending quest to find the perfect nickname or something. Something snappy and alliterative and clever. But I always arrive at the conclusion that my nicknames are corny, stupid, unoriginal or what have you. I know it's just a silly forum tag and I'm overthinking it but that's just the way I am, I overthink everything.

Take DoubleDealer, for example. I thought it was cool at first because of the alliteration and I thought it was a fitting name for Gwent because it's a card game where you bluff and trick and whatnot. To me, DoubleDealer was just a fancy way of saying "trickster" but the primary definition of a double-dealer is that of a duplicitous, untrustworthy person, a betrayer. And that kind of rubbed me the wrong way after a while. It made me think of someone who is likely to con you out of your lunch money or something. The fact that some people thought I was referencing a seller of illicit substances didn't help matters either. :facepalm:

I picked my current name, Jousting Jack, because I've been somewhat infatuated with knights and chivalric virtues for quite some time even though I do a poor job of incorporating such values into my own life. (Can you believe that striking a foe from behind is considered unchivalrous?! Since when is chivalry synonymous with stupidity? :coolstory:) I guess I admire people who have the courage and integrity to live by a code. But I think I like tricksters better. Or maybe I'd like to be a trickster with a code.

Anyway, I'm already kind of bored with this name. I'll probably end up changing it again, hopefully for the last time. To be honest, I didn't expect people to notice or care. You kind of caught me off guard with this question.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughtful explanation!
I've been somewhat infatuated with knights and chivalric virtues for quite some time even though I do a poor job of incorporating such values into my own life.
As have I. I've made it a study for years -- even though my avatar is the Bard.
(Can you believe that striking a foe from behind is considered unchivalrous?! Since when is chivalry synonymous with stupidity? :coolstory:)
There are two sides to Chivalry: The knighthood of high romance and legend, which we admire and venerate for its idealism and honour, and then there's the more practical, earthlier knighthood, which was employed on the battlefields of yore. The latter had far less of a shine about its armour. . . .

Anyway, I'm already kind of bored with this name. I'll probably end up changing it again, hopefully for the last time.
How about Jesting-Jack?

Top Bottom