🍺Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic

+
I_Fly.jpg

I had never paid attention but in French it's "ablette" (bleak)
Fresh water fish but not the same I think
Interesting. My French is quite rusty, so I never tried the game in the language. I see, though, that the word for roach (the fish) would be gardon. Perhaps the translators picked Ablette because it's feminine, and thus better fitting a mare? I also notice that the bleak is very similar to the roach in physical appearance (not that these fishy names for the horses have ever entirely made sense). Additionally, the -ette ending may reproduce a diminutive sense, which I believe is present in the original Polish (płotka). @Draconifors , @SigilFey , and I once puzzled over the meaning of 'small fry' associated with the Polish name.

Of etymological interest, I find that ablette would literally translate to 'whitie' ('little white'), as it ultimately derives from Latin albus, 'white'.

Interesting. My French is quite rusty, so I never tried the game in the language. I see, though, that the word for roach (the fish) would be gardon. Perhaps the translators picked Ablette because it's feminine, and thus better fitting a mare? I also notice that the bleak is very similar to the roach in physical appearance (not that these fishy names for the horses have ever entirely made sense). Additionally, the -ette ending may reproduce a diminutive sense, which I believe is present in the original Polish (płotka). @Draconifors , @SigilFey , and I once puzzled over the meaning of 'small fry' associated with the Polish name.

Of etymological interest, I find that ablette would literally translate to 'whitie' ('little white'), as it ultimately derives from Latin albus, 'white'.
I also thin it's for the feminine side of the name :)
And I must admit that "Ablette" sounds better than "Gardon" in French. Ablette has a nice/kind side.
In addition, a bleak is a fish that lives in strong currents and is rather fast and agile. For your beloved mare, that sounds pretty good.

And I must admit that "Ablette" sounds better than "Gardon" in French. Ablette has a nice/kind side.
Ay, it does. Gardon also sounds rather like the imperative gardons.
a bleak is a fish that lives in strong currents and is rather fast and agile. For your beloved mare, that sounds pretty good.
Very appropriate -- once she's equipped with the proper saddle, that is.

Top Bottom