Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm actually more then a bit surprised that little car could handle the recoil of a 20mm gattling.

Who would've thought games and (Hollywood) movies showing cars exploding into pieces if shot even once are not realistic. :p

I saw a related Mythbusters episode once, where they shot a car to see whether hitting the gas tank really causes an explosion. The car wasn't a Jaguar, and the weapon was just some... handheld. A shotgun or a rifle, I think. I don't know much about guns.

(Pretty much the same thing as in that linked video happened, IIRC. It's been years so I'm not sure. The myth was partially confirmed.)

I found Olgierd quite engaging, possibly the best villain of the series.
3. Gaunter is hands down the best TW3 villain.

I disagree because Gaunter is not a villain. Likewise with Olgierd not being a villain. Though, Olgierd could be an considered an antagonist. Gaunter is neither. The distinction is important, here.

A villain is always an antagonist, but an antagonist doesn't have to be a villain. Olgierd is not a bad guy, but he does oppose Geralt. Gaunter is not a bad guy, nor does he oppose Geralt. He just is.

If you want to talk about villains, then Eredin is a good example, even though he is boring.

A villain is always an antagonist
I disagree. A villain doesn't have to be an antagonist; a villain can even be a protagonist. It depends on the story.

I consider both Olgierd and Gaunter villains, but neither of them is necessarily an antagonist. Not even Gaunter. Both of them are shades of (dark) grey.

Whether one sees Olgierd as criminal scum who deserves what's coming for him, or a victim who's in way over his head is subjective. In any case, since he is basically a bandit leader who deals with demons (to harm others) he is definitely a villain. He can easily be seen as an antagonist because his actions cause trouble for Geralt -- but he can also be seen as a contract giver who, ultimately, merely wishes to save himself.

Gaunter is definitely a villain because of what he does and what he truly is. But, he isn't an antagonist if seen as a debt collector collecting his rightful due rather than an evil demon who tricks people to get more "collectables".

That is one of the many things I really like about Hearts of Stone; there is no "obvious bad guy" but instead a choice between two evils. Or that's how I see it, anyway. I can sympathise with both Olgierd and Gaunter, and I did in fact side with the latter the first time I played the expansion. I feel it's obvious the game tries to make Gaunter into the main bad guy -- but the game also tries to push other views on its players (Blood and Wine is an excellent example).

Eredin is an example of a villain who is always an antagonist.

(Added spoiler tags just to be overly cautious. :p )

I disagree because Gaunter is not a villain. Likewise with Olgierd not being a villain. Though, Olgierd could be an considered an antagonist. Gaunter is neither. The distinction is important, here.

A villain is always an antagonist, but an antagonist doesn't have to be a villain. Olgierd is not a bad guy, but he does oppose Geralt. Gaunter is not a bad guy, nor does he oppose Geralt. He just is.

If you want to talk about villains, then Eredin is a good example, even though he is boring.

Ehh.... When I finished HoS I was left feeling Gaunter was the big bad, not Olgierd. Insofar as there was a big bad. It could be argued there was not. The Geralt and Olgierd interaction was Geralt taking a contract for Olgierd. A contract with questionable terms, perhaps, but a contract like any other.

Olgierd being a bad guy is a more complicated matter. In the context of the Geralt and Olgierd interaction I'd agree. In the context of Olgierd during his bandit days you could argue he was a bad guy. In the context of his dealings with Gaunter I think it's clear whom was the bad guy.

I wasn't left feeling Olgierd was opposed to Geralt either. Again, he wanted a contract fulfilled. Yes, Olgierd attempted to assign three impossible tasks to Geralt. Only because he knew what awaited him should his contract with Gaunter be completed. Placed in similar circumstances I'd anticipate most people would try to avoid the fate awaiting them.

Gaunter is a more simple matter. I think it's pretty clear Gaunter, whatever he actually was, was certainly bad given the type of pacts he was handing out. If anything it felt like Gaunter was creating these agreements for his own personal, sadistic amusement. It's difficult to rationalize why he would formulate those pacts in the manner he did otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom